Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to do the slide hammer trick to get my long side axle out so I'm assuming that my housing is tweaked. Any pointers on getting the long side axle/birf back in? I screwed around with it yesterday but decided to walk away before I got really pissed. I'm trying to hunt down a new housing but it will take me a bit before I'm ready to put a new housing under it. I'm afraid of screwing up the splines on the end of the birf so I didn't want to wail on it with a BFH. My axles aren't martacked becuase I'm still open in the front.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I wouldn't want to wheel like that, depending on how tweaked the housing was. Why not just run it in 2WD with the diff dry and no birfs/shafts in the axle?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
nice quote tnt!!!!:flipoff2:

rich, my short side is a bit of a tight fit and requires a little persuasion to get in and out, a light tap with the hammer gets it in affter a few wacks. anything more than that and id be leary....

it is quite hard to get inners into a new superbirf if that could possibly be your situation??:confused:

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll fawk with it more this week and see how bad it is. Looks like I probably won't be wheeling until I get a new housing in there.

Paul - I've still got those shackles for you, if you still want them they are yours.

Anyone have a spare housing laying around that I can come get from you.... :D

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Have you tried losening the steering joints? That seems to help. If it is the correct direction try jacking up on the center of the housing. I suspose you could also figure out a way to put prressure down ontop of the axle to flex it the other way. They do make axle presses (a good alignment shop should have one), if it comes down to it you could pull your axle and have them streighten it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts