Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After selling my Juggied TJ (see below) almost three years ago, I recently bought a 1995 YJ with the powerhouse 2.5l and auto trans that is very,very clean and is so completely stock it still has the factory shocks on it. The plan for this build is fairly mild and the end state is to have a fun weekend wheeler that is capable and as light as possible (not like I have much of a choice with the neck snapping power of the 2.5l :flipoff2:) I am going to run a three link in the front with 14" 2.0 coilovers with reso's and in the rear I will be doing a SOA , specific leaf springs to be determined. Tires will be in the 37 " flavor and the wheelbase will be extended to the area of 103" - 105". The D30 and D35 will be getting tossed for Toyota axles. The plan is to run Diamond housings (width to be determined, likely 62" WMS) with a high pinion V6 third in the front and a 8.4 third in the rear. Gearing will likely be 5.29 with a Detroit in the front and a spool in the rear. I still need to research some more on the Toyota stuff and run my plan past the gurus at Diamond to see if it is feasible. This will not be a quick build, but I do not plan on taking as much time as Dookey did with his :flipoff2:.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing much to report other than I removed all of the soft top hardware, spare tire carrier and rear seat from the YJ. Ordered some heims from Dan at Ruff Stuff and laid the ground work with Brian at Diamond Axle. Housings will be 62" WMS and the rear will be a FF Toyota... I know some people are probably reading this and saying "WTF....why build Toy axles, just go Tons and be done with it". Remember the goal is to keep it as light as possible while being stout enough for 37" 's. The funny thing is that I have a D60/14 bolt in the garage as we speak ...:laughing:

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Toy axles are fine, but I wouldn't build a set, when you can go with 9" & 60 outters for not much more. I have Toy axles in my YJ with a V6, and I have to be careful if it gets bound up. Also the limited steering radius compare to 50* possible with tons gets old fast. I only run them because I had them leftover from a previous project.

What are your steering plans?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cronus - steering plans are hydro assist. This YJ will be kept street legal and it will not be punished anywhere near the level my last one was. I also already have a bunch of the misc. Toy axle parts needed to build these, so it will be (or should be) cheaper than building a 9"/60 or going tons. I am going to try to have it at the 3700 - 3800 pound range when finished, so the axles should survive without much issue. That being said, there is always the possibility that I will be wrong but I believe it is doable.

Vogel...thanks man, it feels good to have a project to do. I forgot how much fun it is to plan and build...therapy :D

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Followed the old buggy, will be following this! Actually just picked up a 95' YJ with 2.5 and auto power!!! Man, she fast!!!ha
Not 100% sure on direction yet, but have tons on the cheap, so will probably use them. Trying to keep it street legal on 40's for PA will be a bit of a challenge...

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trying to keep it street legal on 40's for PA will be a bit of a challenge...
That could be the understatement of the century...you are definitely going to have to get creative...that or pay off the vehicle inspection guy annually :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Haha yea lucky for me, I know a guy......
I have my work cut out for me though for sure! Look forward to the progress!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update... Just finished talking to Brian (Diamond Axle) and we finalized the axle housings. Front will be 63" WMS and set up for a hi-pinion third. Rear will be 62" WMS and will be a full floater and will utilize his new hub/drive slug setup. My thirds are being built by Davez Offroad and I should have them by the end of next week. Yeah, I know...real freakin' exciting :flipoff2:. Once I start the build, I promise it will get better as the GF told me she wants to help :D

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Update... Just finished talking to Brian (Diamond Axle) and we finalized the axle housings. Front will be 63" WMS and set up for a hi-pinion third. Rear will be 62" WMS and will be a full floater and will utilize his new hub/drive slug setup. My thirds are being built by Davez Offroad and I should have them by the end of next week. Yeah, I know...real freakin' exciting :flipoff2:. Once I start the build, I promise it will get better as the GF told me she wants to help :D
Pics? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not planning on any frame mods right now, but as we all know that can be subject to change. Definitely keeping it full body though I will likely be trimming some sheet metal as the build progresses.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Spoke with Brian this morning and ordered my housings, should be here within the next 4 to 5 weeks...just a pic of what the rear axle will look like when built for those that are curious as to what a full float Toyota axle looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
80 series outers? Looks pretty slick, I think that'll be a great setup on 37s!
Actually the hub, spindle and all the bearings are stock mini truck components. The axle shafts are custom made and are the same design as a regular FF shaft. Brian was saying that he has only heard of a couple of these shafts breaking over the past few years.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts