Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am flipping my rear springs around, but the front and rear eye busshings have different ID's. Front is 5/8" and rear is 9/16". I need to swap them, but I cant get them out. Any easy way to get them out or am i gong to have to go find a shop and have them pressed out?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. I may weld some 1/4 steel tabs onto either side of the hanger and drill 9/16" holes in them. For the rear Ill just re drill the shackle holes. They will be repplaced with beefier shackles in a week anyways...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've done these a few ways. The easiest way I found was to fire up the torch and melt out the rubber bushings that way. Then take an air chisel to get the remaining outter sleave out with. If you can't air chisel it out, I have also torched these out. The other thing I did was take a big screw driver to the outter sleeve and get it between the spring eyelets and pry that sleeve out as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
to get mine out, i had to light the rubber on fire, and i just let it burn while i hit it. i only used to torch long enough to lithg them up, afraid of hurting the spring. while it was burnig i was hittingthe sleave, the second it was out, so was the fire. only way i could get them out.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
get a tource and heat the bushing, not the spring, try not to get alot of heat on the spring and just burn the rubber or whatever the bushing is madfe outof

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have a torch... im just having them pressed out at a shop. thanks though...

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
RawPower said:
I dont have a torch... im just having them pressed out at a shop. thanks though...
use a mapp gas torch.. I burnt mine out, and cut the sleeve with a sawzall.. If you don't own a oxy torch, a $35 click start mapp gas torch is the next best thing.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
FYI, in a pinch, I have drilled 10 or so holes around the circumference of the bushing to be removed. It takes awhile, but it makes enought clearance to press it out with a vice. Any remaining material can be removed with a chisel.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a prop plumbers torch and a mini combo torch that uses mapp/oxy. Im having them pressed out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
maybe this is a sign you need to get some new tools :D small press, torch, the works

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got plenty of tools, but no torch, hydro press, pipe bender, or a TIG. I think I have everything else that is common...

I dont really need a torch on a regular basis bc we have a forge and a plasma cutter, so those cover most everything...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Aces'n'8s said:
FYI, in a pinch, I have drilled 10 or so holes around the circumference of the bushing to be removed. It takes awhile, but it makes enought clearance to press it out with a vice. Any remaining material can be removed with a chisel.
I also use this method. It only takes me about 5 min per bushing when I drill out the rubber. I have used the torch method, but I think it's a bit messy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts