Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I'm in the process of researching different ways to plumb my fuel cell. Previously I ran 3 Walbro fuel pickups in the tank and since they've been a hassle (they like to suck shut and restrict flow to the pump causing it to scream) I've decided to ditch them. Looked into Holley's Hydramat as a new replacement and while they look perfect for a rock crawler, they are crazy expensive ($140 is the cheapest they go). In-tank fuel pump would be my #1 choice but I already have everything setup for an external pump. Does anybody have experience using one of these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/abt-tf239/overview/

Another option is just to get one of these pickup socks and plumb it to the center of the tank with some submersible fuel line. Was thinking maybe throwing some washers around the hose end to act a a clunk style pickup that would drop to the area of the tank that's the lowest. I don't have any foam of baffles to restrict it from moving around. Seems simple and effective, am I missing something?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=7297

Any other ideas I'm unaware of?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Long overdue for an update:

Redid my old seat mounts and built a steering column.

Got some more TIG practice on my upper shock mounts

Lengthened the driveshaft (.188 wall) and re-fitted then hung the exhaust

Finish welded everything

Built a dash.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Bedlined the interior and painted the chassis

Loaded it up on the trailer and took it out to the hammers on Memorial Day weekend for a shakedown run. Everything worked great, didn't turn a wrench all weekend. Still have a lot of little stuff to finish, but I'm stoked to have it back on the trail again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I hope you'll find some time to migrate the pictures over to another source. This has always been one of my favorite samurais. I've drawn a lot of inspiration for my own build from this one. Would love to see where it's gotten to over the years!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
Yeah, FUCK photobucket. I'll do my best to switch everything over to ImageShack (since those image links still work) after I delete my photobucket account. Screw those asshats

I also upload to Instagram @pmaher2882

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Wheeled Fordyce last weekend with a great group of friends. Got rained on a little bit one day, but overall we had a fantastic time taking all the bonus lines, floating in the river, and not opening a tool bag once the entire time.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Some updates:

While doing a bolt check after Fordyce, I noticed my driver side motor mount was cracked in half. I had purchased these mounts from Petroworks years ago and figured it was time for a new design since their shitty welds had already failed once before.

In an effort not to clutter up the dash I built this little mount to hold the seat heater switches and amp volume knob in the center console. Also added some yachting flare with some marine cup holders to hold the trail sodas. Pre New Years JV prep also included rebuilding the front end, upgrading to ARP knuckle studs and replacing some worn heims.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Wheeled JV over New Years with the Polygoats, the group had lots of carnage but the slammy did great. Just needs full hydro and more horsepower:evil: It was also my wife's first time to the Johnson Valley and she loved it

I knew I needed some sort of tail lights before KOH, so I've been working on a rear light bar. First time using these Deutsch style connectors, very happy with how it all turned out. Front shocks also got revalved and the engine oil got changed for the first time in 5+ years. Looking forward to getting out to the lake bed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This thing turned out awesome. Deutsch connectors are the way to go. I use them at work all the time. So easy to assemble and seal extremely well.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts