Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna get atow rig/daily driver in the next couple months and I wanted you guys' opinions on what I should get. I gonna get a used one in the 99-2001 range. All I keep hearing about is Dodge for their durability but I want to know what all of you think. Please give me your opinions! Thanks, Ian:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys. These are the kind of responses I am needing. I did forget to mention that whatever I get will be a heavy duty model and definetly deisel/4x4. As far as the cummins and durability all I have heard is you can put 4 and 500,000 miles on them when a Power stroke is shot at 150,000 to 200,000. Again, this is only what I have been told that is why I wanting peoples input, especially owners of these vehicles, to see how they feel about them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
cummins and stroke are both 4-500,000 between rebuilds, and both are good reliable motors, whereas the new GM is a 150,000 throwaway (it is a non rebuildable engine, and is designed for a 150,000 service life.) As for the ford vs dodge, the cummins might have a tiny bit better lifespan, but the truck will fall apart around it long before the motor goes, whereas the ford hasn't seemed to have the same truck durability problems.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
CrazyHorse said:
cummins and stroke are both 4-500,000 between rebuilds, and both are good reliable motors, whereas the new GM is a 150,000 throwaway (it is a non rebuildable engine, and is designed for a 150,000 service life.) As for the ford vs dodge, the cummins might have a tiny bit better lifespan, but the truck will fall apart around it long before the motor goes, whereas the ford hasn't seemed to have the same truck durability problems.
Horse shit! Only time I have heard "150K throwaway" is from a FORD salesmen (who didn't know if the Ford had a solid front axle or not!)

Personally I would stay away from the PRE 2001 GM Diesel. It is a well known dog. 2001 & later Dmax's aren't bad... but you're looking at $22K+ for a 4x4 Dmax CC

The Duramax/Allison have been used in fleet vehices with over 400,000 miles. I suspect the Isuzu boxes are getting some high miles.

What SIZE TRUCK? Full Size Crew Cab... you're looking at a Ford (i.e. 99). If you don't need more than an extended cab as it is just you and a buddy.... Dodge Cummins with manual.

You might want to give your price range and go from there.
I like Chevy, Ford, Dodge.... each has advantages/disadvantage...

Hey Tx4x4fun.... where have you been? Changing house numbers (again!) :flipoff2:

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
111 Posts
roundrocktom said:
Hey Tx4x4fun.... where have you been? Changing house numbers (again!) :flipoff2:

Sheiiit no! I'm staying with the one that they gave me. I've already started chagning everything over to the new address.

I just got back from the Y.O. Ranch Jeep Jamboree. You can check out the pics on my website: http://www.blackhummer.com/jeep/2003jamboree.php

When are you gonna get some walls on that shop?

Ray :usa:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Re: Re: Getting ready to buy tow rig, please give y'alls opinions

TEX said:

Unless you're talking Cummins & standard shift tranny, Dodge is probably the LEAST durable of the bunch. If that IS what you want, then that's not bad.

TEX
I saw a 1 ton 4x4 club cab CTD with over 800,000 miles on the original motor. Still running strong.:confused:

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I have a 2001 Dodge w/ CTD and love it. I have a few friends with the Power Strokes and have even towed with one from PA to SC :D and it did great also. You can't go wrong with either one. How much weight are you planning on towing ? If it's just a Heep :flipoff2: on a tandem axle car trailer then the auto will work fine. If you plan on towing a goose neck and 2 rigs then look for a 5 or 6 spd.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Howy Feltrsnatch said:
when a Power stroke is shot at 150,000 to 200,000. Again, this is only what I have been told that is why I wanting peoples input, especially owners of these vehicles, to see how they feel about them.
I have not heard too many PSD's shot before 200k. Unless you put gas in it a few times.

I researched alot before buying.

What I would recommend it to do an oil sample prior to commiting. Diesel oil can tell you alot about a motor.

Oh yeah, pretty much all of the older automatics had issues. Try to find one with a bad auto, discount the price, and then go buy an aftermarket one with a REAL torque converter and your golden.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
roundrocktom said:

Horse shit! Only time I have heard "150K throwaway" is from a FORD salesmen (who didn't know if the Ford had a solid front axle or not!)
I got that from several GM mechanics I know when I was looking at buying one, and heard the same thing from an isuzu dealer, when he was explaining to my boss why they do not put the duramax in the isuzu trucks...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses fellas. Im probably gonna go with a crew cab Ford PSD cause 1. I have researched a good bit and gotten yalls opinions and 2. cause I have a wife, a 3.5 year old and one on the way so I need the room! If any one else has any opinions please post them. Thanks, Ian

Hey Flimmy, how ya been man? You gonna be down here any time soon? Come on down and ill show you the "heep" :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I'll be at the ERoCC event in April and down to visit my parents and sister some time this summer. I'll let you know when I head down there.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Actually drive all three and choose what you like and what fit's your needs. All the big three are very good trucks now. I drove the d-max just couldn't find one that was a stick (damn lazy ass auto's everywhere) ended up buying a PSD, 6spd. Love it, it hauls a 10' camper with ease. Discounted the dodge because I wanted a crew cab. Going to the Jambo with the camper and towing my runner on a trailer. I average about 19-20 mpg on the highway empty and 14 mpg with the camper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts