Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some used coilovers, 14" remote resi, and they leak a little bit. Since the rig is on jackstand getting "stuff" I figured it would be a good time to get them rebuilt.

Ive put fork seals in MX in dirtbikes a few times, read the coilover bible etc. but this is something I would like done right :laughing:. A professional might be able to reccomend a different shim package/set up for my Jeep thing. So my question is who do I send them to?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
DIY. It'll cost you more to ship them to Sway-A-Way than it will to do it yourself.

Shocks aren't complicated, neither is putting in seal kits. Get a nitrogen charge setup or find a friend or motorcycle shop that can re-charge them for you. Also pick up some aluminum jaws for your vise.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,807 Posts
Most home mechanics seem to be more meticulous at shock rebuilding than fab shops. If you have done fork seals you can do this. All you need is a smooth jaw vice (al jaws preferred) a pic set, and some patience.

While they are apart check the tubing Id for pitting. A few years back it was a common saw issue.

Otherwise send them to any local shop that works with them.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Fun and good education on what's going on inside them for future tuning. On a scale of 1-10 it's 2 with the right tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts