Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
tsm1mt said:
I personally like John, and have welcomed him into my home on several occasions, and he's really helped me out when in a bind a number of times as well.

Twice I've borrowed engines from him, along with a stall in his shop for a day or three and a place to sleep, after wasting one of mine on the way to RMIHR.

He's even come n' fetched me a time or two and trailered me into RMIHR and/or his shop to make repairs before I could head home.

I know of a few others that have required his assistance after a few days of post-RMIHR trail riding to patch something together to get home with.

I've never had a problem.

...but I have nothing substantial to contribute to this discussion about SULLY'S ENGINE, so I've kept my mouth shut.

My engine took almost a year, and when I picked it up, we had to first stop at the machine shop to pick up the intake manifold that was being machined *right then* before we could bolt it on top and stuff the engine in (when you deck the block to bring the pistons out of the deck at TDC, the intake often needs machined down to fit into the "V")

Engine performed as expected, and continues to.

And all of the modifications I paid for were done. I tore it down a few years later after I spun a rod bearing. The rods WERE lightened, the block WAS decked until the pistons poked out, the heads WERE ported, it was a custom grind camshaft, etc.

I've had three 727s done that all work almost as expected - one of the three had something wrong with the manual valvebody that still isn't resolved.. but I just picked up a transmission brake VB for the 727, so no biggie. :D

My tie-rods, draglinks, valve springs, camshafts, etc. have all been great.

I just don't have anything pertinent to Sully's engine drama.
Tom, I wondered when you were going to pop into this thread.

Believe it or not, your reccomendations about Comer and the quality of his work and his character were a big part of my decision to go with him.

As I'm sure they have been for many others.

Unfortunately, my experience could not have been more of a polar opposite from what you describe.

John Comer may indeed be the type of fellow who would give a friend the shirt off his back. But he has also proven to be the type of individual who can't be bothered to return a paying customer's phone calls. Or provide the services he agreed to. Or even be trustworthy enough to return another person's money.

John may be a great person on a personal level, and he may be a hell of a mechanic. But he has proven to be the worst sort of deceitful and dishonest business person. I would even cut him some slack, because everyone is entitled to individual mistakes, if it were not for the HUGE number of people who came out of the woodwork over the course of this thread and PM'd or emailed me with stories of similar treatment from or experiences with him.

John may be your friend, and I'm sorry for having called out your friend. But I think John probably owes some people apologies as well.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Since I've had a number of people contact me about this, and ask for an update, the situation is STILL unresolved.

John still has not returned a single phone call, nor has he attempted to contact me by any other means, or to refund the money that he said he would.

On August 19th, I sent the following letter to John via certified mail.
John Comer
Gryphin Automotive
3760 Wheeling Street, #8
Aurora, CO 80239

Dear Mr Comer:

I am writing this letter to confirm our conversation on the 21st of July. As per our verbal agreement over the telephone, you are to halt all work on my engine, and return my deposit of $2000.00. You agreed to send half of my deposit ($1000.00) by Friday, July 22nd, and to return the second half shortly thereafter.

As it is now August 15th, and I have not received any of my deposit returned, I can only assume that you have not sent it, nor did you intend to send it. At this point, with your repeated failure to deliver on promises, your apparent refusal to return my phone calls, and your lack of communication, I am going to have to request that you refund my entire deposit amount of $2000.00 no later than August 31st, 2005.

Sincerely,
Sean P. Sullivan
The letter was returned to me as "undeliverable/delivery refused." It's interesting that it would be undeliverable, since my check had no problem getting there.

So I have filed a small claims lawsuit in Adams County court. Many thanks to those of you who have helped me find specific information, like which county that part of Aurora is located in. I've also received recommendations from folks on this board for a Denver based attorney who was very helpful and courteous in taking the time to answer my questions about CO law.

I am currently waiting for the court to get back to me, and give me the date when I need to show up in Denver. I will post further updates when I have them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, newish guy (lurker)...
I had a similar problem a few years back with another mechanic (strangely enough in Aurora), involving a LandRover and engine swap that, like yours, took about 2 years until I took him to small claims court in Adams County - that took another year. Madron's if anyone has heard of them...

Some advice... start figuring out how you are going to collect and talk to your lawyer about it. I never collected anything beyond $500 when I seized his checking account, so on top of my original "damages", I was also out legal fees and left with a basket case car I could not afford to repair. It was a very expensive ($15k) lesson in life.... I'm the "winner"..BS, everyone else came out ahead... btw: still have the Rover, still doesn't run...

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Sully, if you need something "hand delivered", let me know. That can be arranged.
I for one also was waiting for Mr.Tom. I was also holding myself in check until I seen your response as it is your issue. The problem I have with Tom or anyone else that comes out in the public and defend a POS like that is; it is just WRONG. You were robbed. It is like Tom is just flaunting his great personal dealings with that POS and rubbing your nose in it. You know, it isn't like he hasn't talked to Comer on the phone or in person. I'm sure they talked quite a bit since this was first posted. It isn't like this is out of the blue. If he was my friend I would have been busting his balls to make it right.
That is how it appears to me.
IMO when someone defends someone like that, I classify him a roach like the other.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I'm for finding every event this jackass is involved in and every place it is advertised and then posting this scenario along with others willing to come forward. I guarantee you that if he cosponsors or even has a booth at an event and it is boycotted because of his presence and lack of desire to make this right it will really have an impact. Get this out on the BB and any international board that will allow and then find all the events he will be at and let the organizers know we won't be attending because of him. Soon he'll have no safe have but his own sorry ass house. Hate to compare him to Osama but its the same concept. Take away his support and his "havens" and he'll have to do something. This is too important to let die as this guy is a thief plain and simple and should be treated like the guy I caught stealing my kids bike. Beat down and left lying there.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Sully said:
Tom, I wondered when you were going to pop into this thread.
Didn't feel I had much to contribute, until DJ's comment.

Believe it or not, your reccomendations about Comer and the quality of his work and his character were a big part of my decision to go with him.

As I'm sure they have been for many others.

Unfortunately, my experience could not have been more of a polar opposite from what you describe.
My apologies for the troubles I've caused you, Sully. I've been happy, though obviously not everyone has.

John may be your friend, and I'm sorry for having called out your friend. But I think John probably owes some people apologies as well.
He may be my friend, but he's not my employer, parent, or child - you're not hurting my feelings, though I am disappointed in the whole situation.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Shadow man said:
I for one also was waiting for Mr.Tom. I was also holding myself in check until I seen your response as it is your issue. The problem I have with Tom or anyone else that comes out in the public and defend a POS like that is; it is just WRONG. You were robbed. It is like Tom is just flaunting his great personal dealings with that POS and rubbing your nose in it.
If you read my post...

...but I have nothing substantial to contribute to this discussion about SULLY'S ENGINE, so I've kept my mouth shut.
You'd see I kept my mouth shut because I had nothing to contribute about SULLY'S ENGINE. DJ made the statement:
Especially since I don't see anyone coming to defend his character. He must be as lame as everyone is saying.
So I thought I could chime in on MY personal dealings with John.

I have no need to defend how this is being handled, resolved, or not resolved. I have no stake in it, beyond the extent that my endorsement influenced Sully's decision.

I don't want to FLAUNT anything, just wanted to note that there's at least one satisfied customer around here.

IMO when someone defends someone like that, I classify him a roach like the other.
Great, I'm a roach now. I thought I'd left those behind when I moved to the frozen north.

Tell you what. Show me a vendor that doesn't have at least one customer that thinks he/she got SCREWED, and I'll show you a vendor that hasn't been in business very long.

I've had good dealings with a multitude of vendors.. many that frequent here, even. I also know of several people that have had poor experiences with those same vendors.

I've had bad experiences with a few vendors.. some experiences so bad I've never bought anything from the vendor.

..but I've never thought to call supportors of those vendors roaches before.. thanks for the tip. At least I'm in good company.. there's a whole colony of roaches around here..

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
TOM, The trouble is NOT with other vendors, so quit trying to cover Comer's ass with someone else’s. That is not justification for what Mr. Comer has done. Other vendors are not the issue here. I have recently spent $1,000s with IH vendors and others in the past 2 months with no issues. I just spent almost $300.00 with Scout FX right now.
Mr. Comer is the one that STOLE Sully's money. So paint it like I know you will, but Sully was ripped off. That is a fact. Get it strait. All you are showing me and others is your lack of integrity and sense of right. Like I said once and I say it again, IMO a person who will support a person who STEALS from others is a Roach. Period! If my opinion upsets you, that’s tough shit. You opinion means nothing to me.
As far as other roaches on this IH board, I’m not aware of them. Just the one I’m speaking to.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
tsm1mt said:
Didn't feel I had much to contribute, until DJ's comment.
My apologies for the troubles I've caused you, Sully. I've been happy, though obviously not everyone has.
You've caused me no trouble Tom. Didn't mean to come across as if I were blaming you for the situation, that certainly wsn't my intent.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Shadow man said:
TOM, The trouble is NOT with other vendors, so quit trying to cover Comer's ass with someone else’s. That is not justification for what Mr. Comer has done. Other vendors are not the issue here.
Mr. Comer is the one that STOLE Sully's money. So paint it like I know you will, but Sully was ripped off. That is a fact. Get it strait. All you are showing me and others is your lack of integrity and sense of right.
Show me where I've made any attempt to defend Mr. Comer's business practices. I HAVEN'T. Nor have I justified anything he's done.

I don't need to. I've expressed regret that Sully's experience has been the opposite of mine, and that he based his decision on feedback from my own experience. I don't own, run, or have a financial interest in Gryphin Racing. I'm a satisfied customer, just like you're satisfied with ScoutFx.

I don't see how that makes me a roach. And I don't see how being HONEST about my personal experiences should call my integrity into question?

How many people have been screwed by 4WPW? The PBB is littered with horror stories of people dealing with 4WPW. Just because I tell someone *I* bought my tires from 4WPW and everything was fine doesn't make me a "roach" because someone else got screwed by 4WP, right?

Or does it? In which case, my opinion DOES mean something and I'll start keeping it to myself, lest I find myself in court because "Tom said it worked for him and it didn't for me" :crybaby2:

Like I said once and I say it again, IMO a person who will support a person who STEALS from others is a Roach. Period! If my opinion upsets you, that’s tough shit. You opinion means nothing to me.
As far as other roaches on this IH board, I’m not aware of them. Just the one I’m speaking to.

So, if I find a post where you've spoken favorably (or even just not-negatively, right?) about a vendor that has a person that believes that vendor STOLE SOMEONE'S MONEY, you'll happilly join me in ROACHDOM?

THAT was my point about other vendors. Everyone has screwed someone at least once... and someone spoke favorably about the person doing the screwing at least once.

Hell, I just saw an endorsement of ScoutFx from you.. I'm sure I could turn up at least one person that feels ScoutFX ripped 'em off if I try hard enough.

In my world, that doesn't make you a bad person, a roach, or a thief. Just someone that honestly spoke about a good transaction with ScoutFx.. just because someone else got screwed doesn't make you a thief, does it?

This bickering still has nothing to do with Sully's situation, does nothing to further his plight - and you wonder why I didn't bother to speak up sooner.. I still have nothing to contribute to SULLY'S ENGINE situation beyond my regret that it hasn't gone as smoothly as my transactions have. What more would you like from me?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Sully said:
You've caused me no trouble Tom. Didn't mean to come across as if I were blaming you for the situation, that certainly wsn't my intent.
You didn't come across as blaming, Sully - but that doesn't change how *I* choose to feel about it.

I made a recommendation/endorsement/whatever and the item has failed to live up to expectations, and I feel badly for it, and partially responsible. I feel it reflects poorly on me, and that bothers me.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I don't mean any abuse to anyone here either. Everyone has been great Even grumpy old OS. I hate to see anyone get robbed especially in such a small community. That is what it is robbery. John needs to step up pay the man or complete his work and be done. Not later but now. Just pisses me off that there are people who think that its okay to take hard working peoples money or possessions and walk away. Its not right and something needs to be done. There has got to be a way to make a fraud case or something stick.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
comon guys, quit yelling at each other over this. Tom made no defense for Comer, and this bickering is not needed at all. theres few of us that are regulars on here, and we dont need to start aruging with each other about every thread on here.

lets get back to SULLY"S SITUATION, NOT YOURS! if SULLY was calling Comer names, that would be fine because it is his personal problem, but comon, we're all IH guys on here, why call each other out over this:shaking: get your asses back in the garage and then there's no time to argue:flipoff2:

good luck with this bad situation Sully, and lets see what happens after my post now

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Snoopy said:
So take a prozac and get to whatever you guys do for a living. :shaking::rolleyes:
Prozac? I knew I forgot something today. :) I promise not to Bitch about this again, I hope.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Hehehe...ya'll a good chump-suckas.....I know that this situation hits a nerve with everyone, and things heat up. Personally I'd like to know what Sully's doing in the mean time. Is he building another engine? Putting together what he's got?

I know a $2K hit is hard to swallow, but I amagine some realization has set in that he may not get his money back. OH! I just thought, he paid with a check, and therefore sent it USPS (most likely, he did mention that his check wasn't non-deliverable) ~ so why not open a mail-fraud case against the guy?

Either way, its been a year, has all progress stopped?

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Snoopy said:
Hehehe...ya'll a good chump-suckas.....I know that this situation hits a nerve with everyone, and things heat up. Personally I'd like to know what Sully's doing in the mean time. Is he building another engine? Putting together what he's got?
In the meantime I'm running what I've got, and hoping it doesn't shit out on me in some old mining camp 30 miles up the trail. My project funds were pretty well tied up into this.

In the meantime, I've also elected to refinance my house and purchase a daily driver, since my rig no longer makes a reliable daily driver.

I know a $2K hit is hard to swallow, but I amagine some realization has set in that he may not get his money back. OH! I just thought, he paid with a check, and therefore sent it USPS (most likely, he did mention that his check wasn't non-deliverable) ~ so why not open a mail-fraud case against the guy?

Either way, its been a year, has all progress stopped?
I looked into the fraud claims. They won't do me much good, other than being vindictive. All I want is my cash returned.

That being said., I just got off the phone with a nice young lady at the Adams County Court, and they've got a date for me.

December 16th @ 4:30 PM.

Merry Christmas to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Well, the December 16th court date is off.

It seems that the Adams County Sheriff was unable to serve Comer with his papers, because he was either never at his place of business during the day, or because he didn't answer the door when he was.

:rolleyes: I'm glad I waited to buy plane tickets.

So now, according to the nice young lady at the Adams County Court, I need to cancel the court date, and file again from scratch, because continuances can only be done in person, and I'm not about to drive 12 hours to Denver to get a continuance.

They sure make it difficult for a person who is trying to do things the right way. :rolleyes: :(

So now I need to wait for the paperwork to show up from the court, fill it out, send it back, wait for it to be processed, then returned to me, then I need to find a private process server, who will make a greater effort to serve the papers than the Adams County Sheriff did.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sully said:
Well, the December 16th court date is off.

It seems that the Adams County Sheriff was unable to serve Comer with his papers, because he was either never at his place of business during the day, or because he didn't answer the door when he was.

:rolleyes: I'm glad I waited to buy plane tickets.

So now, according to the nice young lady at the Adams County Court, I need to cancel the court date, and file again from scratch, because continuances can only be done in person, and I'm not about to drive 12 hours to Denver to get a continuance.

They sure make it difficult for a person who is trying to do things the right way. :rolleyes: :(

So now I need to wait for the paperwork to show up from the court, fill it out, send it back, wait for it to be processed, then returned to me, then I need to find a private process server, who will make a greater effort to serve the papers than the Adams County Sheriff did.
GAWD Damnit!!!

If I wasn't 5 hours away, I'd serve them fuckin papers down his throat! This crap really fuckin gets me!

:takes a deep breath:

ok..... I'm ok now

Sorry Sully!

121 - 140 of 294 Posts