Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set, and will probably buy them. The axles are out of a 1994 FZJ80. Here is what I know about them:

Rear is a low pinion Non ABS, Drum brake semi float with 4.10 gears
Front is a high pinion, non locked, GREAT condition axle

What should I look for when buying these?
Can I convert the rear to a full float?
How much are lockers for these axles?
How strong are they?

Thanks
DIma

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steering is a pain if you want to go leaves...plan on keeping it multi-llink.

Yes, I was planning on going with a link setup and a 1/4 ellip up front and rear... try something bit different.

DIma

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If is a non float rear axle it is not a 94, A 93/92 maybe. The front is pretty standard one thing to look out for is if the drive flanges are wore out and the birfield splines are shot.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont see the axles you are buying as a good choice. Cost too much to make them strong.
thisn is what I wanted to hear!!!!! Would I be better off with a 44 front and a 60 rear?

dIma

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
for what size tires?

60 or hybrid front and 60 rear most likely..

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If is a non float rear axle it is not a 94, A 93/92 maybe. The front is pretty standard one thing to look out for is if the drive flanges are wore out and the birfield splines are shot.
It can be a 94 and not a full float rear. It will be a cloth interior. No ABS. Probably no roofrack. And most likely no factory CD. These are very rare!

These axles are pretty strong through 35" tires. After that all bets are off. Longfield.com has a solution though. But they don't give it away.

Non locked axles, the best way to upgrade to locked is ARBs. You are still going to have screw with C clips though.

Birfs are most likely going to be pretty worn out. It will most likely need axle seals. Drive flanges could be worn out too.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $700 for a set up like this with most of the value being on the front axle. Maybe $150-200 for the complete rear.

And the lack of an inexpensive high steer sort of makes them a PITA for somebody to retrofit.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I would rather have a D44 than a FJ-80 front simply because with alloy stuff the strength is comparable and the steering is MUCH easier.

Keep the buggy light and a D44 will work fine.

I would rather have Mini truck axles front and rear than FJ-80 stuff myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts