Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Nice update Glen! How does the overall width look now with the 5.5" BS wheels on the YJ/TJ axle width?
the tires hang out about 6" from the fender. Its more than I would have liked but there is not anything I can do about it. I just don't want to be pestered about it by the cops.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Your right Mieser sorry Glen bad info. Unit bearing is different.
Glen my tires are 10.5" outside of the fenders and no tickets in20 years. But in Ca. I have to have mud flaps in the rear only. And no fenders required on my trailer?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I bought some 1/2" x 2 1/2" flat stock to use as a lowering spacer as well as an offset plate to move my front axle forward. The spring perch on the front axle does not have a solid top to drill a new hole in to shift axle. If I need a shim for the pinion angle can I just weld it to this spacer?

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
I bought some 1/2" x 2 1/2" flat stock to use as a lowering spacer as well as an offset plate to move my front axle forward. The spring perch on the front axle does not have a solid top to drill a new hole in to shift axle. If I need a shim for the pinion angle can I just weld it to this spacer?
Welding everything together would probably be ok. I would even weld the offset plate to the axle perch if you can. Once you figure out what you need for offset and shim you might see if you could find someone to make you a one piece unit, or maybe even have the perch filled and milled to the new dimensions?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Welding everything together would probably be ok. I would even weld the offset plate to the axle perch if you can. Once you figure out what you need for offset and shim you might see if you could find someone to make you a one piece unit, or maybe even have the perch filled and milled to the new dimensions?
filled with what?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Starting the foam board mockup of the gas tank . It will straddle the trans tunnel and occupy the space below each front seat with a hard line from the passenger side to the drivers side sump to keep fuel on each side level.
I would like to use a 4" filler neck so I can get away without a vent and also use the stock m38 rubber gasket.
I have had zero luck finding a 4" straight neck to attach to the tank. Anyone have any sources?

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Starting the foam board mockup of the gas tank . It will straddle the trans tunnel and occupy the space below each front seat with a hard line from the passenger side to the drivers side sump to keep fuel on each side level.
I would like to use a 4" filler neck so I can get away without a vent and also use the stock m38 rubber gasket.
I have had zero luck finding a 4" straight neck to attach to the tank. Anyone have any sources?
I would imagine you might have to find someone with a junk tank and a good neck you could cut off and graft onto your custom unit.

The stock tank necks are known to be vent by leaking :)

·
old school idiot
1,603 Posts
truck and farm tractor tanks mite be a place to get one. you can always come down in size by filling the neck hole and using a more standard neck grommet. standard size filler necks will have a vent already in them. I pulled the hump clear out of mine and made one flat bottom 20 gal tank. I pulled the stock filler hole out and filled it to relocate a flush mount filler higher up on the body. less chance to spill fuel on an angle and easier fueling/venting I also made a 17 gal tank to fit in the rear of the 2a 3a cj5 frame with a 5" wheel base bump without compromising ground clearance. the only limitation is your imagination. nice jeep :smokin:

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Fuel Tank Accessories

·
old school idiot
1,603 Posts
nice stuff /\ reasonable price

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Moved the front axle forward another inch with a 1/2 " lowering spacer with the hole staggered back. Front pulley now clears the front axle with the frame sitting right on the axle.
Rear axle will currently only fit an 11.5" cv drive shaft. tom wood says he has one that works just fine. Jess at high angle says that under 13" is a problem and that Wood's is a poor solution but wont tell me why.
who do I believe?
I am planning to move rear axle back an inch and maybe I will be close enough to 13" that I wont need the woods super short solution.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Steering looks to be a clear shot with only 2 ujoints

Is there a rule of thumb for how high in the frame the steering box needs to be? If I keep it in this positionI can slide it forward into the back of the bumper to the end of the frame horn and have room for a good length pitman arm

I pulled a leaf out of each stock yj spring. They sit totally flat and I only have a couple inches over the front fender so that isn't going to work

Got the steering and seat position dialed in. Wheel wells trimmed back 4 inches gives me enough room to be comfortable....kinda looks like I am in the back of the truck though

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
It will be so much more comfortable to drive and to get in and out of the jeep that way, trust me! I'm not quite sure how far back my seats are pushed, I can get you a measurement though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I didn't put the stock springs in before I removed the leaf. Do you know how much it drops from stock with that leaf out?

It is really soft. Standing on the bumper(without shocks) really moves it a lot!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
33 1/2 inches from the dash to the lowest part of the inside of the seat.

And honestly, it would probably still be just as comfortable being an inch or so forward, we may have taken mine back a little to far.

121 - 140 of 740 Posts