Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Unless the DoD or a law enforcement agency issues you one, or you get a Class 3 FFL and purchase one as a dealer sample, you cannot buy one in the United States. It's banned under the McClure-Volkmer Act.

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
That's not even a factory Glock 18, it's a Glock with an after market full auto switch on it. And no you can't buy one unless you're a fed or a licensed manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I never get tired of watching video's of auto Glocks. I don't know why its so much cooler than any other auto, but it is :flipoff2:

Chris

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I had a chance to shoot one of the converted GLOCKs that a SOT had as a sample. It had a very high rate of fire, would dump a 33rd mag quick. It also took about two mags to get used to....muzzle rise is an understatment.

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Unless the DoD or a law enforcement agency issues you one, or you get a Class 3 FFL and purchase one as a dealer sample, you cannot buy one in the United States. It's banned under the McClure-Volkmer Act.
AKA the 86 FOPA

Specifically it was The Hughes Amendment that fawked us.

The Hughes Amendment
The restrictions on full-auto firearms are a result of the Hughes Amendment (99th Congress, H.AMDT.777). The amendment prohibited the general public from possessing fully-auto firearms manufactured after May 19, 1986. Rep. William Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed the amendment late in debate and at night when most of the members of the House were gone. Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), a long proponent of gun control, was presiding over the House at that time and a voice vote was taken. Despite the fact that the bill appeared to fail, Rep. Rangel declared the amendment approved and it was incorporated into House Bill 4332. Once passing the House, H.R.4332 was incorporated in its entirety into S.49. The Senate passed the final S.49 on April 10, 1986 by voice vote and it was signed by the President on May 19, 1986.

·
Registered
854 Posts
AKA the 86 FOPA

Specifically it was The Hughes Amendment that fawked us.

The amendment prohibited the general public from possessing fully-auto firearms manufactured after May 19, 1986.

1)So If I can get my hands on a full auto that was made before 5-19-86 then I can own a full auto no restrictions?

2)If I can get any EBR/Any sub that was made prior to 5-19-86 I can make it full auto and that would be legal? seeing as how it wasn't illegal to make them prior to that time?

Just throwing questions out there

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
1)So If I can get my hands on a full auto that was made before 5-19-86 then I can own a full auto no restrictions?

2)If I can get any EBR/Any sub that was made prior to 5-19-86 I can make it full auto and that would be legal? seeing as how it wasn't illegal to make them prior to that time?

No and No

1. Each state has a policy on owning class III weapons. You must check your state regs for compliance.

2. The registry was closed on May 19th 1986. Any class III weapon not registered prior to that date was fine, but no more can be added for civilian use. That is why class III stuff has gone through the roof lately, supply and demand. The only exception to this is what is called "Post Dealer samples". Special Occupational Tax (SOT) allows qualified dealers to handle, build, and work on anything Class III (Machine guns, suppressors, SBR's etc). These samples can be sold or traded between licensed SOTs, or to government agencies, but not to the general public.

It blows and it is unconstitutional, but that's how it is. Do NOT try to convert a pre-86 rifle into anything regulated by the 1934 NFA, you risk being bubba's bitch at club fed.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts

1. yes,if you have plenty of $$$ and complete ATF requirments.

2. No.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I believe AZ allows NFA items, but dont trust me on that. If so, then you can fill out the approriate ATF forms pay the tax, and AFTER being approved, you can buy the transferable pre-86 MG.

You CANNOT convert a pre 86 rifle, but you can install a registered auto sear into one after following the proper steps.

It is real easy to step on your dick doing this stuff, so you need to do the proper research before doing anything.

I have no facts to back this, but I have heard that the ATF is cracking down on SOTs who are building 'dealer samples', but essentially keeping them for personal use. Something about number of builds vs. number of transfers.

Ronny fucked us, basically jacking the cost of MGs. If you dont have several thousand dollars to play with (for a cheapie SMG), dont even waste your time dreaming.

EDIT: damn I type slow, yall beat me to it

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
we need someone in there who will reverse this travesty...laws are made, they can be reversed...

·
Registered
17,017 Posts

The NFA registry was closed to new registrations of machine guns on May 19, 1986. Any weapon which was already registered on that date is transferable to a private citizen. Any weapon not registered by that date, regardless of the date of manufacture, is not legal for a private citizen to own.

Being that no full auto Glocks were registered on that date, it is not legal for a citizen to own a Glock18C.

The NFA considers a weapon to be a machine gun if it is either 1) a complete, working firearm that fires more than 1 projectile for each squeeze of the trigger, 2) a receiver for a machine gun, 3) an auto sear, or 4) any firearm which is readily convertible to fire automatically (ie - all open bolt semiauto firearms).

An unregistered pre-86 machine gun is still an unregistered/illegal machine gun, even if you have irrefutable evidence that the weapon (or even just the receiver) was manufactured before 5/19/86.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
On a side note, the South Carolina legislature is considering a bill which would declare any firearms, or firearm parts, manufactured and possessed within the state of South Carolina, to be exempt from all federal regulation, including any future AWB. The bill has a provision which would not include machine guns.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
On a side note, the South Carolina legislature is considering a bill which would declare any firearms, or firearm parts, manufactured and possessed within the state of South Carolina, to be exempt from all federal regulation, including any future AWB. The bill has a provision which would not include machine guns.
That would be great but how can a state law trump a federal law:confused:

If that's true I'm moving LOL

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
That would be great but how can a state law trump a federal law:confused:

If that's true I'm moving LOL
Congress finds authority to enact federal gun legislation through the Commerce Clause. South Carolina, by enacting this bill as law, is merely stating that it recognizes that Congress has no authority to regulate firearms that are not involved in interstate commerce.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Congress finds authority to enact federal gun legislation through the Commerce Clause. South Carolina, by enacting this bill as law, is merely stating that it recognizes that Congress has no authority to regulate firearms that are not involved in interstate commerce.
How's the housing market? LOL

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Wasnt South Carolina the first state to secede from the Union?

They say history repeats itself...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts