Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the diff. which is better?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that they were close also. I want to put cross over steering on my truck when I lift it up. I know that I will need to change the passanger side steering knuckle. I think that is what it is called, but where do I get one?

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
I thought that they were close also. I want to put cross over steering on my truck when I lift it up. I know that I will need to change the passanger side steering knuckle. I think that is what it is called, but where do I get one?
http://www.shakerbuilt.com/Products.html he has them for sale. or you can just machine the ones you have

the only difference i found between the 44 and 10bolt is the 44 uses slightly bigger axle shafts, but the outter part of the axles are the same.

·
Registered
219 Posts
get a 30 spline 10 bolt and i think its better than a 44, same size shafts, ring gear, knuckles out is the same. pinion is bigger on ten bolt there fore 10bolt=stronger.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The best axle IMO is the 28 spline 10 bolt. The D44 & 10b are the same strength. They fail at 3 places typically. Stubshaft, ujoint, neckdown innershaft. Guess what, they share the exact same stubshaft, exact same axle ujoint, and both have neckdown inner shafts. Sure you can say the D44 or the later 10b's have 28 splines, who cares. You could have 40 splines if the ujoints are the same strength, stubs are the strength, etc then it doesn't matter how many splines you have.

IMO the biggest advantage to running a 28 spline 10 bolt it they were more recently in production for just as many years as the Chevy D44 with large ujoints. They are also not as sought after like D44's because the myth and dream of many Jeepers is D44 front. Being more recently in production makes the parts more commonly available and possibly with less of there fatigue life used up. Also not being sought after by Jeepers and such makes them less desireable and cheaper to get stock parts for.

It is much easier and cheaper to find shafts for a 28 spline 10b then it is for a D44 or 30spl 10b. The 30 spl 10b has no advantages over the 28 spl but it does have the disadvantage of only being produced for 3-4yrs and only in K5's and Subs. So the availability of stock 30spl 10b shafts is much less then a typical 3-4yr run of either the D44 or 10b from previous years since K10 & K20 pickups also would have been built with the axles.

Harley

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
P.S. The D44 does have a couple advantages over a 28spl. A little better aftermarket following because of the Jeep & Bronco crowd, & if you can find a pre-77 you might get a set of flattop knuckles on the axle already. 77-79 D44's won't have them typically. The 30spl 10b has the least aftermarket following of them all.

Harley

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
What is the diff. which is better?

Does it really matter!? Both will shatter with equal vigor under a properly (ab)used fullsize.

Just stirrin' the pot, baby!

PS- I believe this MAY have been discussed just once or twice before...

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
this has been talked about eleventy billion times, SEARCH!

(btw, the answer is they are both pieces of shit)
:laughing:

This makes eleventy-billion and one. Someone should get a prize!:D:D

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
IIRC the pinion shaft is larger on the 10 bolt and aren't the 30 spline 10 bolt shafts the same diameter as the 44's.
i tried putting a 10 bolt shaft into a 77 dana 44 and its the same length but but was smaller. it would spin around inside the carrier bearly grabing teeth. had to dig to my pile of axle shafts to find the right one and put them side by side and the 44 is just a bit bigger

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
get a 30 spline 10 bolt and i think its better than a 44, same size shafts, ring gear, knuckles out is the same. pinion is bigger on ten bolt there fore 10bolt=stronger.
since pinions almost never break, that's really a moot point. The teeth on the gears, the carrier, the crosspin, the shafts (especially around the ears), the U-joints, the ball joints and the weak housings are really the only problems with the 44/10 bolt, other than that they are great axles. The guy who thinks 28 spline 10 bolts are best is obviously smoking crack, but you are free to take his advise if it's what you want to hear.

This thread really belongs in newb, this is NOT hardcore GM tech. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Of the 3 axles he specified the 28 spline 10b is the best choice IMO. It is not the best ever, just the best of what he asked about. Obviously a D60, Rock, etc are better axles but he didn't ask about those.

Harley

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
since pinions almost never break, that's really a moot point. The teeth on the gears, the carrier, the crosspin, the shafts (especially around the ears), the U-joints, the ball joints and the weak housings are really the only problems with the 44/10 bolt, other than that they are great axles. The guy who thinks 28 spline 10 bolts are best is obviously smoking crack, but you are free to take his advise if it's what you want to hear.

he has the right line of thought on why to get one of the three, while there is variables in how every trucks life and to which it gets used but the concept is sound.

1 pick the axle of the three that is newest and idealy least likely to be abused.
2 pick the axle that nobody wants for whatever reason so therefor its cheap
3 there were used longer in the chevy than the d44 was, and significantly more than the 30spl version.
4 they are all the same strength so....................

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i tried putting a 10 bolt shaft into a 77 dana 44 and its the same length but but was smaller. it would spin around inside the carrier bearly grabing teeth. had to dig to my pile of axle shafts to find the right one and put them side by side and the 44 is just a bit bigger
The inner shaft necks down to the same minor dia. Having the splines larger will give you no benifit at all. If anything having a larger shaft will give you a larger difference in size in the neck down vs shaft OD and produce a larger stress riser in your shaft...but I think it is all a toss up....

I would go with a 28 spline 10 bolt because they are the most common....assuming you are to much of a pussy to not do a 60 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Agreed

This thread is a waste of time... if you have to ask this question, you need to go back to newb or shit-shat and try to learn a little bit.

Search is a wonderful tool.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
The inner shaft necks down to the same minor dia. Having the splines larger will give you no benifit at all. If anything having a larger shaft will give you a larger difference in size in the neck down vs shaft OD and produce a larger stress riser in your shaft...but I think it is all a toss up....

I would go with a 28 spline 10 bolt because they are the most common....assuming you are to much of a pussy to not do a 60 :flipoff2:

yeah might as well go with the 10 bolt. you can find one in every junkyard anywhere, usually unmolested too

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Who Cares

1 - 20 of 20 Posts