Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are having spools made for GM 14 bolts, and would like some input. Here are some pictures of the prototype. The deck is really thick, but if you want to use the stock ring gear bolt's, it needs to be. The question is, do we make the deck thinner and use diffrent ring gear bolts, or leave it as is?
If you think weight is an issue, keep this in mind
an open carrier is 30.28 lbs/ gov-lock 37.34 lbs/ our spool is 26.25 lbs.
If we make the deck thinner it will save about 7 additional lbs. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Scroll down.......

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
GOOD GOD!! :eek: That's a huge bitch!! :D:D

WAAAAAAAY Cool. It's still lighter than stock, leave it!! Looks beefy!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
That's bad ass!!!!
I think if you are worried about weight you shouldn't be running a 14 bolt to start with.
There may be a few pople concerned about the weight but everybodys gonna be concerned about the added expense of ring gear bolts, I'd say leave it like it is so you can run stock bolts.
How long before it's in production?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The thicker flange will reduce the chance of the ring gear (and flange) deflecting under heavy loads - which is a problem in some other gearsets (but probably not 14 bolts) and can lead to R&P failure. So leaving it is good and will save on buying new bolts!!!

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
mrtwstr said:
I think if you are worried about weight you shouldn't be running a 14 bolt to start with.
Good point! if you're worried about 7 pounds, then a 14 bolt is out of the question. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Whats the link to your Yahoo folder?
Is in a public folder?
You have a red star, use the post feture on the bottom of the new reply page (Right by the submit button)
Give up?
E-mail me the pics, I will post [email protected]

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Mac,

e-mail the pics to me and I'll host em guaranteed visibility.

Also - leave deck as is - not because you want to be able to re-use ring gear bolts - putting in a nice new spool you should definately get all new ring gear bolts, but you want to avoid the hassle of trying to find suitable replacement shoter bolts of correct size and grade.

Otherwise, som eedjut will use a black anodized grade 5 bolt, experience failure, and somehow end up blaming your spool and all hell will break loose

1 - 20 of 114 Posts