Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what trannies these motors had mounted on them. I know some of them had 4speeds just wondering if any had any t-18. The one I'm looking at came out of an 80 cj-5

·
Registered
580 Posts
RockJeep92504 said:
They only came with the SR4. A Crappy 4 speed.
Not entirely true. Some Iron Dukes came from the factory with a T-176. I just sold one out of an '82 CJ-7. They're not as common as the SR-4, but they're out there (and they make a great candidate for a SBC swap).

Craig

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've also seen the Duke mated to a T-5 in a 82 CJ-5. Looked all original to me...

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 82' CJ-5 had the t-176 in it. It is a four speed and it was also used behind some of the other jeep engines. It was used behind the 304 v-8. The big problems with it are that it has a 3.52 first gear and is not as strong as the t-18 used in the earlier cjs. The bellhousing that mates the t-176 to the 151 iron duke can be used for a chevy v-8 conversion. The bolt pattern will bolt up to the v-8. You have to use a 10.5" clutch with it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Gm Iron duke was not used after 79 or mid 80 and after that it was the amc 2.5 four cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
my dads 80 cj7 had a sr4/2.5 in it we swapped a 305 chevy and never had any problems but only had 31" tires with 3.54 gear and old man driving it mostly and hardest use was deer hunting

·
Registered
617 Posts
jcp said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Gm Iron duke was not used after 79 or mid 80 and after that it was the amc 2.5 four cylinder.
81 was the last year they used them and, I believe, the SR4. The original setup in my scrambler was the Iron Duke and an SR4.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sothpaw said:
81 was the last year they used them and, I believe, the SR4. The original setup in my scrambler was the Iron Duke and an SR4.
Thats funny. My '83 Scrambler originally had a 151 Iron Duke and a T-5 Trans.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had an 80 or 81 cj5 with the duke and sr-4 also had an 82 scrambler with duke and a T-4. I never knew one to come with a T-176 but that is decent for that little four banger.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The t-176 would be great for the 151 if it had a first gear like the t-18. That is the reason I put in a sm465 with the chevy 350.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't know about the Jeep 'duke, but my '91 S-10 had the 151/T-5 combo. BTW it's a 60deg. bell on those transmissions. As in 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 etc.

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
They also had TF904s behind them in auto equipped CJ-7s.

Super duper rare though, and not offered in the CJ-5.

This version of the 904 could be used with a Chevy V8, but it required a custom converter and some beefing to help it survive. If anyone remembers Jason Bunch from Tri-County, his old yellow flatty had this set-up in it.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
rock-rod said:
They also had TF904s behind them in auto equipped CJ-7s.

Super duper rare though, and not offered in the CJ-5.

This version of the 904 could be used with a Chevy V8, but it required a custom converter and some beefing to help it survive. If anyone remembers Jason Bunch from Tri-County, his old yellow flatty had this set-up in it.
In reference to the GM bolt pattern being used and the 904 having a GM pattern and or other jeep trannies that have GM pattern

http://www.jeepgod.net/amchistory.html

Fifth paragraph in the four cylinder column.

"The new, downsized Jeep Cherokee XJ was introduced in 1984 along with the new Jeep 2.5L four cylinder engine. Because it shares the same size with the previously used GM four it is often confused with it. The Jeep four was created by cutting the two center cylinders out of a 258 six block. A single piece rear main seal was designed instead of the 258 two piece seal and the GM 2.5L bell housing pattern was used. This saved AMC some money as they were already casting bell housings for the GM four and having Chrysler make 904 automatic transmissions with the GM four bell pattern. An entirely new head was designed for the new engine. A carburetor was used for the first year, with throttle body fuel injection added in 1985 and direct port injection in 1991."

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321073&page=3&highlight=belly+flop
Post #50 in this one

1 - 20 of 23 Posts