Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thinking out loud here ... wondered if anyone has seen a 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel in a Forty?
Seems like a 6.2 would be a good swap if you got one of the later ones or a 6.5. I drove a non-aspirated 6.2 with a 700R4 today and it got me thinking these are plentiful and would be a good swap. Are 6.2s wider than a SBC ? Not sure what one would weigh but the owner of this 6.2 I drove saidn that Allison built these diesels for GM and Military and they still get labeled as a converted gas motor and get a bad rap. They sure are plentiful and parts are available all over.

Any thoughts or experiences with GM diesels? If anyone has any pics or links I would be thankin ya!

bennett

·
Registered
470 Posts
Do a Google search...

I know I have seen 5 or 6 articles with pics on this conversion.

Thought about doing this for a road truck once...

For a trail truck, I think the noise of the diesel would be cool for about an hour then I'd like to hear my spotter and my passenger.
Cory

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
It's been done and a quite popular swap in Oz, on 75 and 80 series trucks. In most peoples opnions the 6.2 and the 6.5 are crap compared to a Cummins or Powerstroke.
Butch

·
Registered
75 Posts
I found a site a few years back on 6.2 and 6.5 installations in an FJ-40.

But I can't find it now:mad: :mad:

I know I printed it out at one time,I'll look for it down in the shop tomorrow.

It looked like a pretty straight-forward installation.A bit cramped,but it all fit in.

I would have tried this in the past ,but
like most other people, I wasn't too sure about the reliability and didn't know enough about the engines to make an
educated decision.
Later, Bill

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am helping a buddy strip a 1980 Scout Turbo D SD33T this weekend, his current plan is to slap it in his 64 FJ40. The motor is roughly the same size as the cruiser 6 (which it currently sports), has 86K on it, and can be converted to the SM420 in it.
Talking to a diesel engine parts house, they said it was an incredibly reliable motor, and the first rebuild is sceduled at 500K. :eek:
Lots o' tourque, but only about 100 HP. I guess we will see what happens with some turbo exhaust port mods and an intercooler. I don't know much about diesels, but I have always heard the chevy 6.2 was a pretty poor one.

I will try to take pics if he ever actually does it. Still in the R&D phase right now.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
correctly maintained, they are reliable, just noisy, slow as hell and a lot of smoke. if you can overlook that, why not. the only reason we are where we are right now in the wheeling world is because someone decided to go against the masses and try something. I think i would locate a turbo model though if the rig is gonna be on the highway much.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
i was told the 6.2 and 6.5 were sbc block converted i also heard that the 6.5 td in newer chevy 94-98 were hooked to nv4500 iin the 4x4 trucks that sounds like a gold mine to me i do know that the ing pump and ingectors go out @ 60-80k but mu buddy 6.5 td in a 95 z-71 would spin361450 hawgs on dry ground and was not very loud got to put the right muffler on them... i still want it in my 60 ....:D

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have that swap about half way completed right now. I am putting it in a 68 fj40. No, it isn't a cummins or stroker, but I got mine for $500 and I already had a small block set up so it was easy there. I am mating it to sm465. The good thing about the swap is it uses the same motor mounts and bellhousing bolt pattern as any small block GM. I am using a 2" body lift so it clears the hood. It is a bit wider, but it does fit in. I think it is a pretty good motor for wheeling, definatley not a highway truck though. It gets pretty decent fuel mileage, enough power to turn my 38s, and can rev pretty low which will be nice for crawling. The only problem I ever had with finding parts was getting the flywheel, I had to look a lot of places to get mine, no one carries flywheels around me, I think most of them came with autos so that could be the reason.

There is an excellent write up here:
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/

HTH

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
wngrog said:
For HD towing, I would agree that the 6.5 is crap compared to a Cummins, but I would not mind a Turbocharged 6.5 in an FJ-40.
ya but geared right i heard of guys still gettin 20 mpg out o a 6.5 td with a trailer( my buddy did with 36 and 456 with a v8 sky boat behind it) :D and i know a guy with a 6.2 in a car that get 35 mpg 83 olds 4door big a$$ sucker... $hit compared to a cummins yes, pulls better that a sbc and gets better mileage HELL yes thats just my 2cts worth :D

your friend the drunk red neck aka kling-on :D :beer: :D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about a GM diesel Corvette??:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/vet.htm

* Hey Mixmaster... I'm in Orem, I would love to see your conversion and take some digital pictures.... e-mail me offline if that's a possibility.
I see your a member of Wasatch Cruisers.. so am I.

lemme Know..

[email protected]

Bennett
BTW.. that conversion you linked to was nevr finished by Aaron Leach. I followed it for 3 years and it was never completed that I know of.:(

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
6.5 TD in a 40

Two companies in Aust thsat install them into Cruisers:
http://www.linquip.com.au/
http://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/

A FJ40 with a 6.2 in it:
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/diesel.htm
(Bennett, you emailed me this one)...

Don't know a whole lot about these but from what I remember you have to do some steering modifications. Higher hp figures with lower torque versus the convential inline 4 or 6 diesel (like a Cummins or Isuzu). I believe a 6.2 is 160hp with about 260 ft/lbs of torque (???). A 160 hp Cummins for example puts out 400 ft/lbs of torque. A friend has a factory 6.5TD Suburban. Not to say it is a generalization but in 80,000 miles it went through 2 transmissions, 3 computers, and 2 sets of glow plugs, and that was only the problems with the engine, the truck as a whole was a total lemon. I'm sure these are good engines, they have a decent-OK rep. Eric V is thinking of putting one into his 91 FJ80 mated to the OEM tranny and can possibly chime in on any info he might have found out. He's sort of a "sponge" about this sort of stuff like I am.

Otherwise, Kiaser Bill! the person putting the NPR in his Cruiser, I found out the exact bellhousing specs on it the other day if you didn't have this information. Sae #3 (same a GM 350) but with holes rotated 15-20 degrees. So you can most likely use a GM tranny and simply redrill your bellhousing, or if need be make a simple little "blank" to move the holes over without making changes to either the engine or the bellhousing. I would be more interested in actual details of your conversion as it progresses, what tranny will you use and exact tactics for getting it to mate the GM tranny! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LC Hamma said:
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/diesel.htm

I'm considering the same swap - transplanting the 6.2 & the TH400 from a CUCV Chevy truck. It's got dual alts & batteries already. I'm not sure if I'll put a Banks Turbo kit or a used one off Ebay. :D
You probably already know this .. the glow plugs are 24V in the CUCW.. I think 12V are $60 for a set.
HTH

·
Registered
75 Posts
NPR Conversion

Andre,
I've read a some of your posts concerning
4Bd1T s. You know your stuff.
I was going to ask you how to do it:D :D

Actually,after checking out the truck,I'm not so sure if I will jump into the conversion too quickly.
I really wouldn't mind putting a 12' or 14' bed on the thing and using it to haul my Cruisers around on.I don't think it would make a bad tow rig.One on the bed and one behind on a trailer.
I'll probably end up pulling the eng. eventually and sticking it in the cruiser,just not for awhile
Bill

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. All of the relevant information from this board and other places I've cut and pasted into my site... I've been chatting back channel with a guy who seems to really know his stuff and caught a few errors on the site mostly with numbers. So I've been going back all day and updating little things here and there, etc etc. I think I sort of feel like Woody here! Going back to some of that stuff I'm amazed at some of the info that's there. When I built the site my logic was "shit, I've amassed so much information here [most of it in emails, pictures, etc] that I might as well "share the wealth." A lot of it took a lot of time and a lot of BSing back channel with a huge variety of people... I also knew that I'd probably forget most of it at one point or another (for example, just the other day I thought that 2F's have aluminum heads :rolleyes: from an experience a few years ago when I cracked one. I''ve also probably owned about 6 trucks with 2Fs in them. What was I thinking???). So, I guess I'm glad I took the time to put all of that information there. Took about 3 weeks in my spare time.... Some of it better than others but I suppose it helps!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
PS, I also talked to Advance Adapters today about the possibility of having an adapter ring made. It is possible and I am waiting to hear back from them hopefully in the next few days. There is a mysterious OEM Isuzu adapter ring out there (stamped number on the side of it WF 150015, but it means nothing to Isuzu). If we could locate one and get a CAD drawing of it and have it produced it would make like a whole lot easier for anyone attempting the swap, and would basically make it "bolt in." Henry C has a buddy in Venezula who has one in his 75 pu truck, mated to a H55F. I guess he made one of these adapter rings out of scratch and mated it to the H55F's original 2F or 3F bellhousing. So it can be done...!

This diesel also kicks a whole lot of ass, quiet, smooth, higher reving, powerful, and fast accellerating. So I want one... ..in a Cruiser!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.