Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I have been searching for a 2-piston caliper that will bolt in place of my Chevy single piston Large 1/2ton Caliper. I did a 5-lug conversion on my ford dana 60 and I don't like how the caliper fits. I have ground on the knuckle a little and the caliper some to get it to work for now but I am looking for a better solution. My brakes suck anyways so an upgrade would be nice. I have a ford 1/2 ton rotor on the 60 hub.

Here is the question: Is there a good 2-piston caliper to use from the factory. I don't have a problem making new brackets to mount something different. I have also seen some aftermarket calipers that fit in the stock GM bracket that would work but they all seem to be pretty pricey so I might as well get some wilwoods if I go that route. What do you reccomend?
Thanks! Jake

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
make new brackets that will hold a factory 2 piston ford caliper. your already using ford rotors so use the calipers that go woth that rotor. You will need to make new brackets as I am sure nobody makes these for a D60 rear.

I think you are talking about a rear but if this is a front, use the ford caliper brackets and the caliper will just bolt on.

I think would be the cheapest route to acheive what you want. the calipers from wilwood are a little more $$.

you could also make a new bracket and use another set of single piston GM calipers and make a dual caliper setup. This would be the ultimate PITA but you would have plenty of brake if you could move enough fluid to actually move all 4 pistons on that axle.

JJ

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
howe makes twin piston aluminum calipers that bolt up in place of the factory chevy ones that are reasonably priced. check summit racing site or their owm site.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Here is a realy easy way to get a dual piston caliper on a 5-lug conversion.

Convert it to 8 lug and use stock ford parts. Why are you reinventing the wheel here?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Convert it to 8 lug and use stock ford parts. Why are you reinventing the wheel here?

That is so helpful, I feel so much beter knowing that. So you can run 8lug with factory parts. Thats just crazy.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Haha! Thanks! I guess you'd be refering to all the brake parts laying in a box in my garage eh? :flipoff2: That would be the easiest and the smartest and stronger but yeah why would I want to do that!!!
Well with $1800 in wheels I don't really want to change those. But also since I don't carry a spare normally I want to be able to use some elses 15" wheel is I need to.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I guess it just depends on who you wheel with. Most of the guys I wheel with have 8-lug. $1800 in wheels:eek:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I used late model t-bird/Lincoln LS calipers with ford 1/2 ton 5 lug rotors on my front 60. Running 15"mags with no grinding.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used late model t-bird/Lincoln LS calipers with ford 1/2 ton 5 lug rotors on my front 60. Running 15"mags with no grinding.

Great thanks that looks like a good set-up. I'll take a look and see what I can find on that. I'm guessing late 90's?
Thanks, Jake

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I'm in the process of puting rear disk on a nine inch and I'm using a 04 f150 ft caliper and mount assembly they are dual piston to

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I thought about doing this setup a few years ago...

Whats your B.S.? i ran Ford duals on my 15"s....
That is an awsome setup and is made by diy4x but the stuf they make are for mostly fullsized rigs where weight is not a factor but for most that setup would slow your shit down because of all the damn weight:shaking:

JOSH

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I bet it weighs less then a factory GM D60 caliper and bracket.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
make new brackets that will hold a factory 2 piston ford caliper. your already using ford rotors so use the calipers that go woth that rotor. You will need to make new brackets as I am sure nobody makes these for a D60 rear.

I think you are talking about a rear but if this is a front, use the ford caliper brackets and the caliper will just bolt on.

I think would be the cheapest route to acheive what you want. the calipers from wilwood are a little more $$.

you could also make a new bracket and use another set of single piston GM calipers and make a dual caliper setup. This would be the ultimate PITA but you would have plenty of brake if you could move enough fluid to actually move all 4 pistons on that axle.

JJ
I thought I've seen caliper like what you are talking about here but all the Ford dual pistons I can find online mount similar to a GM d60 caliper where they have a grooved bracket and no ears. Can you find a part number, application, or pic of what you are tlaking to?

J. J.

·
Registered
838 Posts
What dia. rotor are you running with the Lin. LS setup?....and does in go inside 15" wheels? She looks sweet.:smokin:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
What dia. rotor are you running with the Lin. LS setup?....and does in go inside 15" wheels? She looks sweet.:smokin:
Stock '76-'93 ford 1/2 ton 5 lug rotors. Running 15" mags 4" backspacing with no grinding (stick on weights hit if ya stack them).

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
make new brackets that will hold a factory 2 piston ford caliper. your already using ford rotors so use the calipers that go woth that rotor.
I'm still interested in finding a part number or application for that caliper you're speaking of here. I've been to the parts store and looked up a '78 1/2-ton and they're the same caliper as a Chevy. I've looked at a bunch of Ford calipers on napaonline.com and they are all single piston also. Of course, the 1-ton is dual, but it doesn't mount using eyes. It uses the wedge mounting bracket.

J. J.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts