Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I was all set to go buy a dana 60 front. big deal my first one ton build etc...

So the guy pulled the axle yesterday and sent the following pics. The pumpkin cover looks like a 60, but look at the extra webbing. Spring Perch looks a little further from the pumpkin. Also a factory dual shock bracket?

He said it seems heavy that a normal 60... Maybe a HD 60? At any rate I like the idea of heavier, but what will it cost to build? Anyone built one? What does it cost? Parts availability? Here are pics thanks for all the help. I have searched all over and found information, but none of the pics, diagrams etc... look the same.

If it is a 70 front what is its value? I need to build on a budget and a 60 is what I had planned on building, but if this is a buildable axle for less i would go that route....

I know the pics are not the best, but they are what I have via phone...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
what did that come out of ? The pumpkin does resemble a 70 with the extra webbing it has and the passenger side spring perch is unlike the chev/dogde versions of the 60 that have the perch cast into the pumpkin side. This might be a custom made front axle? The knuckles and C's look like typical 60 stuff. You really need to take an up close look and see what number is cast into the lower right hand side of the pumpkin to identify the diff.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Got a BOM. That would seem like a good place to start.

In any case, it isn't a run of the mill 60. Pad isn't cast into the pumpkin. Probably aftermarket conversion, or MD truck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately the axle is 1/2 way across the state and I am getting pics via the person that has it for sale. I am trying to get numbers etc. And better pics. I will see what he sends. It is in a 1983 Chevy with a dual rear 14 bolt. The top little crappy pic is the one of the rig. It is some weird chevy. It has the 6.2 deisel with 8 lug outers. I am wondering if it necks down just a bit between the shock mount bracket and the Cs

It looks to me like the pumpkin is deeper front to rear than a 60... Maybe for the extra size found on a 70 ring gear?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
you dont want that front end... Ill take it off your hands.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
two things:

one, finding inner axles/brakes/parts might be a bitch.
two, with the pumpkins location, might it hit the oil pan or crossmember?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
two things:

one, finding inner axles/brakes/parts might be a bitch.
two, with the pumpkins location, might it hit the oil pan or crossmember?
im betting everything from the C's out is typical 60 stuff.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a BOM. That would seem like a good place to start.

In any case, it isn't a run of the mill 60. Pad isn't cast into the pumpkin. Probably aftermarket conversion, or MD truck.
Yep already looked all over for at least 4 hours. Not meant to be a flame job but can a guy ever post a question here where some db does not come out and flame someone for asking a question that maybe possibly at some point once in a blue moon might have been asked before?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Yep already looked all over for at least 4 hours. Not meant to be a flame job but can a guy ever post a question here where some db does not come out and flame someone for asking a question that maybe possibly at some point once in a blue moon might have been asked before?

Brush the sand out of your snatch. I sure as hell don't see a flame in there.
I asked for more information, and provided some on the side.

If you don't want to be asked for additional information, then post all you have up front, instead of trickling it in a little at a fucking time.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
You have yet to be flamed. If for some reason you think you have, please turn off your computer, try not to cry and go watch a movie on Oxygen/Lifetime/OWN/etc. In the event this is the case, do not sign back on to this website. :flipoff2:

It very much looks like a Dana 70 centersection, and is consistent with the spring mounting I have seen on Pathfinder Van conversions. You probably have heavier inner C's and outer knuckles than the standard GM 60. Pop off a lockout hub and count the 35 spline outer shafts if it is a Dana 70.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brush the sand out of your snatch. I sure as hell don't see a flame in there.
I asked for more information, and provided some on the side.

If you don't want to be asked for additional information, then post all you have up front, instead of trickling it in a little at a fucking time.
That is all I have.... What else did I trickle in? Why do you assume I have not done any research? I am giving all i have... So deal with it how you want. I am on here is because I can not find anything anywhere. And so far even here it seems to be a mystery, at least so far...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have yet to be flamed. If for some reason you think you have, please turn off your computer, try not to cry and go watch a movie on Oxygen/Lifetime/OWN/etc. In the event this is the case, do not sign back on to this website. :flipoff2:

It very much looks like a Dana 70 centersection, and is consistent with the spring mounting I have seen on Pathfinder Van conversions. You probably have heavier inner C's and outer knuckles than the standard GM 60. Pop off a lockout hub and count the 35 spline outer shaftthing real if it is a Dana 70.
WOuld love to pop off the cap, but again the axle is 1/2 way across the state. That is over 5 hours of drive time. I will post more as I get more.

Assuming it is a dana 70 where can I find specs, gear options, carrier information, etc? I have not been able to find any real solid on the axle. I do not want to cut everything down and fab a bunch. But I can if it is as cheap or cheaper than a 60 with gears and locker etc...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
That is all I have.... What else did I trickle in? Why do you assume I have not done any research? I am giving all i have... So deal with it how you want. I am on here is because I can not find anything anywhere. And so far even here it seems to be a mystery, at least so far...

I asked for a BOM. That's all.

What else did you trickle in. Pretty much everything except the pictures.

Where the fuck have I even mentioned that you should search for anything? Not once.

It is obvious that you have your feelings hurt, so you should either man up, or fuck off. Either way, I don't much give a damn.

I haven't flamed you, but I'm goddamn well working up to it, and not even because of your post. Quit being such a cunt and quit looking for insults that aren't there. Fucking whiney bitch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I asked for a BOM. That's all.

What else did you trickle in. Pretty much everything except the pictures.

Where the fuck have I even mentioned that you should search for anything? Not once.

It is obvious that you have your feelings hurt, so you should either man up, or fuck off. Either way, I don't much give a damn.

I haven't flamed you, but I'm goddamn well working up to it, and not even because of your post. Quit being such a cunt and quit looking for insults that aren't there. Fucking whiney bitch.
Well I gues I mistook your quote/tagline on teh bottom of your post as part of your original response. As such I am sorry though you specifically posted as part of the response. I do not have a BOM. Wish I did and teh "owner" is not sure what I am talking about. I am hoping to get more from to get more from the owner. Still waiting... Sorry again as I thought you posted differently...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At any rate, if its a good deal, go buy it.
Hard to call it a good deal if you do not know what it is. I had all intentions of buying it, but thought it was a 60... Now I am not sure. I hate to buy something that has no after market support or something that will be a pita to find parts for...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Well I gues I mistook your quote/tagline on teh bottom of your post as part of your original response. As such I am sorry though you specifically posted as part of the response. I do not have a BOM. Wish I did and teh "owner" is not sure what I am talking about. I am hoping to get more from to get more from the owner. Still waiting... Sorry again as I thought you posted differently...
Hard to call it a good deal if you do not know what it is. I had all intentions of buying it, but thought it was a 60... Now I am not sure. I hate to buy something that has no after market support or something that will be a pita to find parts for...
Well, that clears things up some.

In any case, it's probably a good deal. Things which should concern you are the distance between the spring pads, and what outers are on it. I would guess that it is a solid axle, but there will be issues with obtaining shafts for it. Aftermarket will work there. As to the rest of it, it just depends on your intent. For a custom setup, it'll be fine. If you are looking for a bolt in, well, that depends on a lot of answers which are not forthcoming at this point.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
That where 35 spline 60 stubs come from, factory D70s. Inners would be 35 spline, same as a 60. Only ? would be the length of the inners, but its easy to get custom length shafts if need be. The knuckles out are just 60 shit, but usually the inner Cs are actually a little beefier. As long as it says 70 on the lower right side of the chunk, I'd scoop it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts