Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1997 GM NV4500 and 1988 round pattern NP205 for my 1953 Chevy 3600 project. The NV4500 has an aluminum tail housing. I want to replace the tail housing with a cast iron housing to support the 140 lb. NP205. When the cast iron tail housing for the Dodge NV4500 first became available there were a lot of quality control issues with them being machined off center. I attached a link to an article explaining it. This article is 15 years old and that issue has long been corrected.

NV4500 cast iron tail housing quality issue

When I converted my 1998 Dodge 2500 diesel from 2WD to 4WD, I used a cast iron tail housing on the NV4500 to support the weight of the 120 lb. NV271F. I have not had any issues with the transmission since the conversion.

How long have the GM NV4500 tail housings been on the market? Is anyone running one on their GM NV4500? Have you had any issues? How many miles do you have on it?

I have found 3 different vendors selling cast iron tail housings for the GM NV4500. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are you aware of any differences between them? (besides the obvious paint differences)

GM NV4500 cast iron tail housing_1

GM NV4500 cast iron tail housing_2

GM NV4500 cast iron tail housing_3

Thanks for the help!

·
blatant asshole
12,096 Posts
As far as im concerned they are all just vendors drop shipping from the same suppliers.

I shopped around and they were all the same red primer withi. $20 of each other and shipping cost was the only variable.

·
P.B.A.
4,403 Posts
I’d buy install then throw an indicator on it to see if it’s machined off center.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as im concerned they are all just vendors drop shipping from the same suppliers.

I shopped around and they were all the same red primer withi. $20 of each other and shipping cost was the only variable.

View attachment 3113286
Yeah, I figured the same - all the Chevy tail housings come from the same source. Did your tail housing come with the socket head bolts to attach it to the NV4500? My Dodge tail housing did, but I don't see the bolts included with the Chevy housings. Is that a P30 frame with a Dodge/Chevy hybrid NV4500? And that looks like some kind of Gear Vendors unit behind it.

I’d buy install then throw an indicator on it to see if it’s machined off center.
I'm planning on that. I was hoping someone who has actuall road time would comment.

·
blatant asshole
12,096 Posts
Its a gm late 4500 and yes its a gearvendor with a 475/4l80 motor home/hd drum brake.

Its a c60

No. I used the stock 12p bolts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will purchase it from Allstate Gear. I called them and they were receptive to the quality discussion. Thanks the suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts