Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NP205 round pattern transfer case with long 32 spline input shaft that I want to mate to my 1997 GM NV4500. I will be replacing the aluminum tail housing on my NV4500 with a cast iron tail housing. I am planning to use ORD twin sticks. I believe I have two options. I listed them below with details as I understand them (it is possible I don't fully understand them)
  • Purchase Advance Adapters 50-69101-5/8" spacer and bolt the NV4500 to the NP205 with the spacer between them:
    • Machining the NV4500 tail housing to clear the NP205 rear shifter rail IS required
    • Machining the NV4500 tail housing for the idler shaft retaining nut is NOT required
    • The Advance Adapters spacer is another potential leak point
    • The Advance Adapters spacer cost $108
  • Purchase a NP205 short 32 spline input shaft and bolt the NV4500 directly to the NP205:
    • Machining the NV4500 tail housing to clear the NP205 rear shifter rail IS required
    • Machining the NV4500 tail housing for the idler shaft retaining nut IS required
    • I've read this post that says the NP205 input bearing retainer is taller than the NV4500 tail housing register and must be machined. Can anyone confirm this?
    • The NP205 short 32 spline input shaft is $120.
    • No additional leak point because a spacer isn't used.
The cost between the two options ($108 vs $120) is negligible. I want to use the better of the two options. I will be opening and rebuilding the transfer case regardless of the option I decide upon.

Your input, advice and experiences on this subject are welcome and will help me make a decision. Thanks for the help!

·
blatant asshole
12,088 Posts
When i did it to a stock houseing i did have to grind just a touch at the input retainer bolts in the tail housing.

·
blatant asshole
12,088 Posts
If you measure the seal retainer then the housing you might find and issue. But remember that the retainer boss is below the mating surface on a 205. That plus a good thick gasket might be all you need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When i did it to a stock houseing i did have to grind just a touch at the input retainer bolts in the tail housing.
If you measure the seal retainer then the housing you might find and issue. But remember that the retainer boss is below the mating surface on a 205. That plus a good thick gasket might be all you need.
When I get the new cast iron tail housing, I will fit it to the NP205. I can mark the housing from the transmission side for the retainer bolts and relieve it with a rotary file as needed.

If I understand the interference height vs depth issue correctly, I think I can correct it by reducing the height of the retainer major diameter with my lathe. I have a harbor freight mini lathe. It's a cheap, sloppy piece of equipment, but I have learned how to compensate for it's sloppy tolerances and have machined some fairly precise parts. If the retainer doesn't fit my lathe, my brother has a larger lathe that will definitely do the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts