Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using an OEM NP241 adapter for mating their atlas or stak to a 4L60E? Are they beef enough to hold up to the abuse or is it going to take an aftermarket style adapter to hold up?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nope. Used the Atlas version. (It includes the provision for the VSS sensor and their output shaft sending ring.)

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Nope. Used the Atlas version. (It includes the provision for the VSS sensor and their output shaft sending ring.)

Good luck.
I hate that they went the easy way out and just downed it to the old 4-bolt pattern, which everyone knows is a weakpoint on the TH350/700R4. THey could have built a much stronger adapter onto the 6-bolt flange that's there...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I hate that they went the easy way out and just downed it to the old 4-bolt pattern, which everyone knows is a weakpoint on the TH350/700R4. THey could have built a much stronger adapter onto the 6-bolt flange that's there...
True, but I don't think that many stock trucks are breaking the tailhousings off like we tend to do. :)

J. J.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
True, but I don't think that many stock trucks are breaking the tailhousings off like we tend to do. :)

J. J.
True, but this is advanced adaptors - they invented the freakin Atlas, they should realize what we do..

I'm not terribly worried since there's little torsional stress on the 4-bolt pattern on my particular installation, but have seen the cases crack far too often.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Remember that the TC face is machined to fit inside the adapter, so the four studs only serve to provide clamping force. Six is better than four, but I haven't heard about too much breakage.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
True, but this is advanced adaptors - they invented the freakin Atlas, they should realize what we do..

I'm not terribly worried since there's little torsional stress on the 4-bolt pattern on my particular installation, but have seen the cases crack far too often.
I'm confused. I thought LT1SCOUT was asking about the strength of a stock adapter. I know he has a stock adapter pictured. Atlas doesn't make that adapter. BUt I do see what you're talking about in terms of the Atlas adapter now.

I will say that I used to have a problem snapping the tailhousing on my TH350 back when I wasn't beating on my junk like I do now. The thing that changed during that period is I went from a rubber mounted drivetrain to a solid-mounted drivetrain. Now there is no flex and I dont have that problem any more and I used a stock adapter. (Albeit cast-iron.)

Other than that, just ignore me. :)

J. J.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm confused. I thought LT1SCOUT was asking about the strength of a stock adapter...
I was pointing out that AA uses their adapter to house the VSS that is required for the 4L60e and the PCM. You can use the OE tail piece and adapt the mechanical speedo to serve as a pseudo-VSS, but...

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Remember that the TC face is machined to fit inside the adapter, so the four studs only serve to provide clamping force. Six is better than four, but I haven't heard about too much breakage.
But they also have to hold rotational force too.. ;)

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was pointing out that AA uses their adapter to house the VSS that is required for the 4L60e and the PCM. You can use the OE tail piece and adapt the mechanical speedo to serve as a pseudo-VSS, but...
the stak doesnt have a mechanical speedo. it has a TJ 3 pulse VSS. if this stock adapter is deemed strong enough i can make that work for my GM 40 pulse or go another route like the AA adapter.

nobody running this adapter and beat on it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts