Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i was just wondering if anyone has done this WHOLE swap into a scout II. I (crossing fingers) will be doing this swap as soon as i can...i have the motor it's an 88' out of a truck and has 26k on it...got the manual tranny that came with it and the tcase. Im really just wondering if anyone has done all the wiring for a swap like this. I got the computer and the wiring harness and fuse box...i forgot to get the hydraulic line for the clutch, the scout just had manual linkage if im correct right??...is there a way to make it a manual clutch, i also forgot to get the plug that plugs into the tranny. Any of this really needed for the computer?? Well just wondering if anyone is doing this same thing or has done it. Maybe work from others mistakes, and others work from the tons of mistakes that im going to make.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
What's there to wire? You have the engine, the computer, the harness. Drop them in plug it in and go. I'm in the process of putting GM EFI in my Scout II, but I'm putting the EFI system on my IH 345 engine. In that case, there will be some lengthing or shorting of various wires in the EFI harness, bolting on all the sensors and such in their respective places, altering the IH disty to trigger the ignition module and adapting the GM throttle body to the IH engine. Since this is going on a different engine than the chip in the computer was calibrated for, there will also be chip reprogramming going on.

If you're using the GM engine, tranny, t-case with the harness and computer all out of the same vehicle, it should be a "bolt on" operation.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have all that stuff, but im probably just going to use the painless wiring harness. A lot of this stuff is very new to me, as i have only be driving for 2 yrs...and had a scout for about 1yr...so that means 4wheelin for 1yr. I forgot to get the plug thing, that plugs into the trannsmission. Also, with the sm465 it is hydraulic, and if im not mistaken my t19 wide was manual linkage...is it possible to just make the sm465 into manual...b/c i still have ALL the linkage for the scout..but don't have it from the chevy pickup. That sounds good to me that it should just be drop in and go. Would you wiring the inginition up through the steering column, or do it somewhere on the dash?? i have mine wired through the dash, from the previous owner...and thats the only key i have, my best bet is to just re-use that.
TORC- preciate the "just do it attitude" :cool: Sometimes it seems harder than it is, but you just have to do it.

Hopefully, ill get ALL my stuff done before the summer...im not just doing motor...im doing other stuff. But school is first, IT GETS IN THE WAY OF FUN!:mad:

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Are you sure it is an 88? If it is a truck 88 the xfer case will dump on the left. Is the trans a NV4500? If so that might be a sweet setup.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's a 1988 k10 blazer, or k5 blazer...nope, it's pass. drop. has an sm465, np208 on the back of it...10 bolt front...i don't remember any chevy's being driver drop also.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ChiScouter said:
88 blazers and subs had 241 pass side drop. Trucks went to drivers side in 88 with IFS, Subs and blazers in 90 or 91
88 blazers pass side drop well, does the 241 have a slip yoke?? It is a a 1988, and it's a blazer...so im guessing i have a 241 then. It's aluminum casing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts