Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a little research to add to my stack of information <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">

What manual trannies were used in from of the NP208 and NP241 tcases?

I have the NP208 being used from 1981 to 1988 and the NP241 being used from 1988 on up(don't have the cut date handy)

Also, can someone comment on the top cover on the aluminum topped SM465s? I've heard that they are biased toward the back of the tranny.
 

·
nice roach.
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
700R4s were used and were pretty much worthless in a big heavy truck with 3.08 gears like most of them came with. Also I believe the th350s wer used and th400s with the diesel.


-j-rOd
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by jhama78:
<STRONG>700R4s were used and were pretty much worthless in a big heavy truck with 3.08 gears like most of them came with. Also I believe the th350s wer used and th400s with the diesel.
-j-rOd</STRONG>
I'm actually trying to find out about what manual trannies were used.

I've had tramatic <IMG SRC="smilies/crybaby2.gif" border="0"> experiences with autos and won't touch one until I can't drive a manual <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,482 Posts
It is (was) the SM465 that was used on the 208/241 t-cases up to 90 or 91 depending on the exact truck. 91 was the first year for the NV4500.

The aluminum-topped SM465's got used in the 88-90 "GM400" (newer) style trucks, while 88-91 Blazer, Jimmy, Burb & crewcab retained the iron-topped version. Top covers are interchangeable. The shifter is matched to the cover however. The aluminum top cover places the shifter about 2-3" further rearward compared to the iron one.

These 81-up (4x4) versions of the SM465 have a long (like 10") 32-spline output shaft on them. Due to the trend towards auto's in newer vehicles, this "longshaft" SM465 is getting quite scarce - as are the relatively fragile aluminum top covers. Fortunately, this shaft and/or top cover can be swapped into older versions - 2wd or 4wd.

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: u2slow ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Aluminum topped SM465? I don't think so, if it's got an aluminum top it's an NP 435. That's what my '85 Chevy has along with the NP208. I may be wrong, but it sure doesn't look like an SM 465.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great information. Thanks a ton.

u2slow, you wouldn't happen to know the size of the adapter between the 32spline SM465 and transfer case would you? Also, how long is the output shaft when compared to the 2wd version of the SM465?

Grandpa_Jeep, honest, there are aluminum top SM465s. I've been asked numerous times when buying SM465 parts(gaskets), "do you have an iron top or aluminum top?" by dealers and tranny rebuild shops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
just for clarification... the 6.2 diesel was followed by 700r4- I had two of em. As far as aluminum top 465???? maybe a 435. <IMG SRC="smilies/fj.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by Lil'John:
<STRONG>Grandpa_Jeep, honest, there are aluminum top SM465s. I've been asked numerous times when buying SM465 parts(gaskets), "do you have an iron top or aluminum top?" by dealers and tranny rebuild shops.</STRONG>
Really, I thought an SM465 was an SM465? Do they look the same? Are the cases the same? Does anything interchange between them? I know my tranny doesn't have ribs like an SM465 and just generally doesn't look anything like one. I assumed it must be an NP435, but I've never had to do anything to it (except shift it) so I guess I really don't know. Anyone got any pics of an aluminum top SM465 vs. NP435?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Grandpa_Jeep:
<STRONG>Really, I thought an SM465 was an SM465? Do they look the same? Are the cases the same? Does anything interchange between them? I know my tranny doesn't have ribs like an SM465 and just generally doesn't look anything like one. I assumed it must be an NP435, but I've never had to do anything to it (except shift it) so I guess I really don't know. Anyone got any pics of an aluminum top SM465 vs. NP435?</STRONG>
As stated above, the output shaft is definately different(32 spline).

The aluminum top is supposed to be interchangable but the shifter comes out 2-3 inches further back on the tranny.

One time I bought an adapter gasket(the one that goes between the tranny and adaapter), the dealer brought out one that was VERY different.... it was smaller.

Beyond that, I've never seen one <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0"> But I'd like to get the top off one in the future <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,482 Posts
Here is the iron-topped SM465 with the 32-spline (4x4) output.


I can't find a pic of the aluminum top for the 465. I assure you they do exist in 88-90 GM trucks. I used to work at a GM wrecker - I've sold the damn things! <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0">

Here is a pic of the SM465/NP205 adapter for that same long output. I have the NP208 version in my garage, it looks very similar, only about 2" shorter, and lacks the shifter boss on the side.


This is good reading for SM465 junkies <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm465.htm
...and a comparison of the three different output shafts:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
465s are good ole iron
That top output shaft is the one for a rockwell t.case. (pre 205)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,482 Posts
Originally posted by dirtrod:
<STRONG>That top output shaft is the one for a rockwell t.case. (pre 205)</STRONG>
The top shaft is used up to '80. I didn't know it fit the Rockwell too - that's good info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by u2slow:
<STRONG>I can't find a pic of the aluminum top for the 465. I assure you they do exist in 88-90 GM trucks. I used to work at a GM wrecker - I've sold the damn things! <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Do they still look like the iron top trannys with the ribs? So was that an 88-90 thing? Does that mean my '85 tranny with an aluminum top is a NP435? Was that an option in '85?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top