Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume there have been many other projects where a cheep vehicle like a blown motor Disco II has been fitted with a GM V8, but the search engine here doesn't give me a lot to go on. Any leads on this?

·
Registered
551 Posts
There were a couple of companies offering 6.2 diesel conversions over here about 15 years ago, mostly went into RRC's, and odd D1's and Defenders.
Some people swore by them, others think they're a heap of shit.

I don't believe anyone has done one into a D2, but I am aware of a V8 one over here that was converted to run a 300Tdi, the car ended up with everything stripped out and the complete dash and wiring loom from the Tdi vehicle fitted as well.
It got round any BECM issues as most people seem to think the BECM won't play unless there's a Thor V8 or a Td5 talking too it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've got a friend with a Series body on Toyota frame and axles running a Chevy 305. But that's probably not what you were looking for. ;)

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Why bother?

"If you want a GM powered vehicle, buy a Chevy" as said by the man who probably knows more about these engines than any of the rest of us-Mark at D&D

·
Registered
235 Posts
lots of talk on the internet, but no one ever shows results

I'm finding its the same case with the buick stroker in a Disco. Everyone says its easy yet no one seems to have done it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you'ld do it, break a load of axel parts, park it up and forget about it.
Not that it wouldn't be a great truck if you did the axels as well :smokin:

Arn't there some good V6 engines about?
In the UK the ford 2.8 litre V6 popped into landys nicely back in the 80's. Maybe its time to bring it on back 10's style :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm finding its the same case with the buick stroker in a Disco. Everyone says its easy yet no one seems to have done it.
It's the sort of thing I would've done 5 or 6 years ago, especially one of the iron block 5 litre engines, the limiting factor was the lack of them in the UK and no money to spend on finding and importing one, so a 4.2 Rover was as far as I ever got.

The Ford V6 has potential, especially as the adapter kits will allow you to fit a 24valve Cosworth 2.8 onto a 4 cylinder Land Rover box (LT77 or R380) and also the 4 litre V6 found in however many hundred thousand Ford Explorers, and poverty spec Disco 3's in the US and Aus.
Probably not beyond the wit of man to make one work with a ZF autobox either.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Theres always the GM 4.3. about the same power as the rover v8 in Vortec form.

I have a buddy in FL running a 6.2 detroit and a 5 speed in his p38.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The GM 4.3 V6, in any form is just not good enough to be worth swapping into anything at all. To go to all that bother and not fit the V8 is just silly. You get way more power from the V8 with only a little more weight and pretty much the same mpg.

I would love to see someone try to fit a modern, ultra light, 200hp+ 4cyl or 6cyl, direct injection petrol engine into an old Land Rover. The Hot Rod guys have successfully managed to get them running in old iron so it can be done.

Obviously it is possible to install anything in the engine bay if there is physically enough room to fit it in. The only details to work out will be time and money........and on that score, another Rover V8 will ALWAYS win.

·
Registered
235 Posts
it depends, if you have the zf hp22 and don't want to do 24 upgrades anything torquier than a 4.3 probably isn't going to be very reliable.

I'd like to see a ford 4.0 or ecoboost swap, it would somewhat keep it in the family

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I assume there have been many other projects where a cheep vehicle like a blown motor Disco II has been fitted with a GM V8, but the search engine here doesn't give me a lot to go on. Any leads on this?
Edit: Guy asked about a DII...

A lot of people see a relatively good looking truck for cheap money and think exactly what you did. The Disco IIs have a lot of electronics. The body control module, tranny, engine, ABS, traction control, antenna, taillights, cupholders and even the paint is in near constant communication. It would be a royal pain in the arse to swap engines with something else without gutting all the electronics. Since a DII is pretty much a huge POS to begin with (all of it, not just the engine), most people give up before they get very far.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The GM 4.3 V6, in any form is just not good enough to be worth swapping into anything at all. To go to all that bother and not fit the V8 is just silly. You get way more power from the V8 with only a little more weight and pretty much the same mpg.

I would love to see someone try to fit a modern, ultra light, 200hp+ 4cyl or 6cyl, direct injection petrol engine into an old Land Rover. The Hot Rod guys have successfully managed to get them running in old iron so it can be done.

Obviously it is possible to install anything in the engine bay if there is physically enough room to fit it in. The only details to work out will be time and money........and on that score, another Rover V8 will ALWAYS win.
GM4.3s get abysmal gas mileage. I have had a 4.3, a 5.0 and a 5.7, the 4.3 is less power with the same amount of gas.

I have been looking at the 2.4L in the wifeys hyundai tuscon and thinking that it would be awesome in my Deefer. Might need some regearing but it would be a screaming highway machine after that!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The biggest problem is some people are trying the conversion with the auto trans either the zf or the chevy auto, they both have issues, I am doing mine with the NV3500 and a the lt230, I have the stub shaft and the t-case adapter all ready to go. But I'm not going the chevy route! but I could put a chevy small block in if I want, I going with the OM617. Any machine shop can make the adapter for the trans, Its the stub shaft that is the problem. It can be done, There were a few Range Rovers built with the TPI 5.7L and they used the ZF auto trans. Also you can modify the Land Rover stub shaft to work with the NV4500 Trans, you need to machine the output of the trans, I have an extra output shaft for the NV4500 if anyone wants to take it on. They are hard to find, It is the HD 2wd shaft, you use the 4wd output housing and machine the shaft to either work for the lt230 10spline or machine it down shorter to work with the stub shaft. I went a different route by using one that works with the NV3500, but it sets the t-case back, but on a positive note my front and rear driveshafts are the same length. I also was able to move the trans and t-case up, now the t-case no longer is lower than the frame. So let the bashing begin :flipoff2:

·
Registered
551 Posts
The 4HP24 will run a lot more than 300bhp reliably.
The JE Engineering 'Zulu' Defenders have them as an auto option running up to 480bhp with the supercharged 4.2 Jag V8.

There's at least 2 LS1 powered 110's in Australia too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts