Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dredging up a old topic...

Alternative Conversion Engineering has developed a Gen3 LS conversion for the Land Rover Discovery 2 which uses a GM ECU to control the engine and an "Electrical Conversion Box" of their own design which translates signals to be shared between the GM and Bosch controllers maintaining the Bosch-controlled traction control and hill descent. It also includes a bellhousing adapter allowing you to maintain the original transmission, T-case and driveline. You can even maintain the Rover AC compressor and alternator by using their accessory drive components if desired. It appears to be a brilliant kit: a friend of mine plans to use it if/when the original engine in his 2004 Discovery 2 gives out.

In my opinion a 4.8L V8 would be great for 4HP22 equipped vehicles (1998-2002 IIRC) and a 5.3L V8 would be great for 4HP24 equipped vehicles (2003-2004). Both are plentiful as used engines.

Since I am a newbie to the forum, I cannot share a link. You can Google Alternative Conversion Engineering for more information.

·
Registered
2000 Land Rover Discovery LS Swapped 37" PBRR's 14 Bolt Rear
25 Posts
LS into a Disco II

I've been watching this thread for a while, it seems to get bumped every couple years. Not too much tech here, just a lot of pointing to high $$$ dollar turnkey conversions. I thought I might contribute my 2 cents for what it's worth.
I finished my LSX swap into a Disco II in 2015. I started with a cracked block 2000 Land Rover Discovery II. I bought a 2004 GMC Envoy take out motor and transmission. 5.3 Liter LM4 4L60E (all aluminum block and heads with tall truck intake).
Engine and Transmission install went without too much drama (I have done 3 other LS swaps), tranfercase and front propshaft took some engineering and trial and error. I will list some of the trouble spots I ran into, and if anyone is interested, please ask questions. I should also add that I did every single piece of the build by myself, except for two Tom Woods propshafts. (Since then I have started building my own shafts). If you have to pay somebody to engineer build and install upgrades to your junk, then you need some deep pockets.

1. Power Steering pump and Reservoir mounting.
2. Motor mounts
3. Intake clearance under hood
4. Radiator and Fans
5. Connections between GM computer and Rover electronics.
6. Front propshaft to oil pan clearance
7. LT 230 clocking and mounts
8. 4L60E to LT 230 adapter and stub shaft
9. Cross members
10. Driverside (left) exhaust manifold to frame clearance
11. Fuel system
12. Traction Control/Hill Descent
13. Transmission shifter.

Your completed swap vehicle can be a Daily Driver or offroad rig, you decide.
I started out using it as a commuter to work and back but I decided I wanted to do some off roading. Now it has H1 recentered double beadlock wheels, 37" Pit Bull Rockers, front and rear winches, rear GM 14 bolt full shave axle with chrome moly shafts and hubs, 40 spline spool. Front chrome moly shafts and reverse cut competion gears. Electric center diff lock, home built steel compact bumpers. Air conditioning, electric windows and heated seats. 4 point harnesses, 4.88 rear gears and 4.71 front gears. Front and rear cameras and a bunch of off road safety stuff.
Did I mention the swap can be done! 4 + years later and still going strong.
Not sure if anybody is still interested in doing this type of swap, but I will be glad to help if I can. I'll post some pictures somewhere if you want.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rock Jumper: Do you have a build thread for your build? It would be interested to see how you adapted the GM transmission to the Rover T-case as well as how you got the electronics to work in harmony.

The Alternative Conversion Engineering kit uses a custom adapter to bolt the GM LS engine to the Borg-Warner transmission used in the Discovery II. They then use both the GM ECM (to control the engine) and the Bosch ECU (to control everything else) to keep all functionality. It sounds like you figured out how to do the same.

·
Registered
2000 Land Rover Discovery LS Swapped 37" PBRR's 14 Bolt Rear
25 Posts
Rock Jumper: Do you have a build thread for your build? It would be interested to see how you adapted the GM transmission to the Rover T-case as well as how you got the electronics to work in harmony.

The Alternative Conversion Engineering kit uses a custom adapter to bolt the GM LS engine to the Borg-Warner transmission used in the Discovery II. They then use both the GM ECM (to control the engine) and the Bosch ECU (to control everything else) to keep all functionality. It sounds like you figured out how to do the same.
Well better late than never, Build Thread: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Still running the LS Swapped Disco, other than being very heavy, it seems to be a great off-road vehicle. At least for me, cause I usually want something different from the crowd. With Millions of Jeeps out there on the trails every day, I have something that will always get a second look or a thumbs up from someone who knows what it is. I saw my first Disco on the trails (other than mine) this past weekend. It was a bobbed D-1, only a shell of it's former self. I suppose that's how he gets away with running stock axles.
As mentioned in an earlier post. I have upgraded to a 40 spline 14 bolt in the rear and now I am working toward a Dana 60 in the front. Should have that finished and installed by August. The electrics in Rovers are a pain for all I'm sure, this truck is now 20 years old and the pieces of it that are still Land Rover, Lucas or Bosch are one by one making my life interesting if not educational. For sure any vehicle that is taken off road and beat on will give constant problems from certain areas until they are rooted out and cured. Mine is no exception. I will say that the GM engine (LM4 Alum. Block and heads 5.3L) has far exceeded my expectations of performance and reliability. Now all it needs is a driver that can avoid running into a 6 ft deep ditch, see below.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts