Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've spent 2 days doing research, but I would like opinions on my course of action. Found very little info, so I'm asking.

I'm taking a big trip, and need to take care of some crap on my 1984 Pace Arrow MH. GM454 Engine only has 15K on new crate replacement (it's good to go), GM400 trans has 72K and leaks fluid nicely. I'm looking at $1800 for the trans rebuild/install/nationwide warranty. Looking for others that may have spent more/less, or have any previous experiences they can share.

As for the rear tires... The best deal I've found for 8R 19.5 tires is the local Discount tires, Kelly brand at $150 a pop . Sumitumo are $175, Bridgestone and Michelan are well over $200 apiece. I'm still waiting for a shop to get back with me on Cooper tires. I'm also curious about using recaps/retreads, but found little in the way of "real-world" experience on the web.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeepskickass said:
$1800 sounds a little steep to me, $1200 sound more in the ballpark. What exactly are they doing to it?

I drive the MoHo into the shop, they tear into the trans, replace everything with new heavy-duty parts, a torque converter for towing (I informed them I tow 5Klbs), Then I just pay and drive away a few days later. They also include a nationwide 3yr/75K parts/labor warranty.

I have had these guys rebuild 2 other auto trannies, and thier shit is top-notch. Never had a problem. Also got a great reputation around town, been here a long time. Just seeing what others have paid in the past for the same service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts