Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for info on a gmc 2 ton running gear. any info will be nice.
also, biggest question, how to disk break them. thay look simular to rockwells and i've seen them with disk at the corners. thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm sorry, i wasn't very clear on this. my fault. ok, this stuff is the size of a rockwell, but use a third member, like a 9" axle. ring gear measures bout 12" and uses the BIG six lug pattern. i have a set in my back yard. it has 6.17 gears. i also have the matching t-case. mostly i need help disk brak'n it. any one with pics of these axles?....................thanks

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,998 Posts
I know the axles you're talking about, & I've never seen nor heard a thing about anyone doing disc brakes on them. You might check with Daniel on the board, or search for Chucks Trucks. Also if I remember right those are goofy ones that the front end rotates opposite of damn near ever other front axle ever made, so you have to run the GMC t-case, but I figure you knew that being you specified you have the case.
Hope ya find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
135 Posts
spasch said:
look for a Dana 70 if you want 2 ton. Then convert it to 60 outers.
Both dodge and g.m. used this unit.
Coulda sworn a D70 was a 1 1/4 ton :confused:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Dana 70 is a 1 ton rear

GMC 2.5 ton military axles are what you're talking about. They have brittle axle shafts and the front pinion turns the wrong way (you have to turn the third meber over and that requires machining)

Not really that great of an upgrade. Rockwells are a better choice

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rebuilt 2.5 ton rockwells go for a little under 2000 a for a front. I say go for them. . . of if you just want to be king of the mountain. . .get a 5 ton, 3400 for a rebuilt fron, 1800 rebuilt rear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.