Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a GMC Canyon (AKA Chevy Colorado), 2WD, and it has the traction control. My question is, has anybody ever heard of being able to over ride the traction button and use the button as an actuator for the electronic locker in the rear? Basically make the automatic locker a manual locker.
The other problem is the power take off of the traction control. when the traction control is activated, the computer takes over and decreases the power, would this be over rideable?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
You sure there is a rear locker and it doesn't use the brakes to do traction control? Never known chevy to have anything other than a gov-loc.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah i am sure it is a locker, cause after you get through with whatever made the traction control activate, sometimes the rear end takes a few minutes to unlock. If you make a turn the inside tire chatters like the rear is locked. I think it has the same as what is in the H3, all though that is a huge asumption, I have never researched that.
Edit:
Just looked on GMC website to verify the locker, and yes it is a true locker, actually it is the Eaton Electronic locker.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does anybody think it is possible to turn this automatic locker into a manually controlled locker, ever heard of someone doing this?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
pilothillcrawler said:
yeah i am sure it is a locker... I think it has the same as what is in the H3
Edit:
Just looked on GMC website to verify the locker, and yes it is a true locker, actually it is the Eaton Electronic locker.

I just looked at the GMC website and they mention the Eaton Automatic Locker....the infamous G80 (unless they've changed).....not the Electric locker. The traction control works by reducing engine power via the onboard ECM

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep your right about them not saying electric good point, however, if you push the little button on the dash that turns the traction control off, the locker will not engage ever. So I assumed this ment the locker was electric?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Nope, the only option I see listed is for the G80. No electric locker as an option. You're either confused about something or you have a very rare Canyon.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I definitely dont have a rare canyon. So I must be confused.
then why in the hell does the rear not lock if you turn the traction control off? I am sure it is a locker, if you drive the truck through a ditch and get one of the rear tires to come off the ground and spin in the air with the traction control on, you can feel the locker lock in, and you can drive on that one wheel that is on the ground. could they get the G80 to work like that?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Is the traction control actually working the brakes in some fashion? Because you can modulate a G80 with to "lock" with light use of the brake pedal...even in my "old" 94 K Blazer with the G80.

The G80 locks when there is a difference in wheel speed by about 200 rpm....is that what you are feeling? Anytime there is a difference in wheel speed by 200 rpm (they probably decline with age...like respond with higher rpms...LOL) the G80 will lock up. Per Eaton it is then a true locker....will not disengage until TQ is no longer applied.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good question about the breaks, not sure though. I think I will either pull the diff cover off and look at what is in there or go talk to one of the mechanics I know down at the GMC dealership.
Also, I guess if it was to be an electric locker there would be wires going to the diff, wouldn't there?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
The G80 replaced the Gov-Loc...it may actually be a rename because the Gov-loc has a bad name....Gov-Bomb...Explodamatic-diff...and etc. The G80 is not without limitations, there have been many failures since it's conception and they do lose effectiveness as tthey age (wear) I believe. It is kind of a crossbred locker/limited slip. It is called a locker but by it's very description it is a limited slip.....cause slip must occur and be detected and then it is limited...get it...so it is a limited locker.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
consider yourself lucky that yours works and don't ruin a good thing:D

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep I think you are right, it works good, don't fix something that aint broke. and it definitly isnt an electric locker acording to what every one says. The only thing thats throwing me off is the fact that the rear wont lock together if the Traction Control is off.
http://coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t=26964&highlight=locker

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Not an electric locker. And G80 didn't replace the Gov-Loc, G80 is the option code for a Gov-Loc. Just depends on if people want to call it a G80, Gov-Loc, Gov-Bomb, whatever, same POS.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The locker that is in the rear is an eaton, was/is the gov-loc made by eaton?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
pilothillcrawler said:
The locker that is in the rear is an eaton, was/is the gov-loc made by eaton?
Eaton makes the Gov-lock. Not sure if that was always the case.... they may have bought somebody out along the way to acquire its rights. "Locking" in this context is a cam-type action against a clutch pack. Not the dog-teeth or interlocking collars that 4x4-type people expect.

It used to be when somebody said Eaton-posi, or Eaton-limited-slip, they meant a standard clutch-type limited slip differential like a Dana Trac-lok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts