Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to drive a nice LR based Buggy at Cal Rocs and wanted to see what the hydraulic cutting brakes like this run? Anyone have a source for GNP stuff TIA :D:D

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
XTRMTOY said:
How are the hydraulic cutting brakes plumbed into the existing system?
This looks like a really nice way to go.

Thanks,
Mat
Single line comes in from the master to the base. Then each lever has it's own output port. You plumb from the outputs to each caliper individually for the ability to have single wheel braking.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weasel said:
little of the subject but how to the Simex tires work? Don't see them around much over here.
There Michelin's!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
751 Posts
AlumCJ said:
does the detroit "disengage" immediatly or does it take a second of rolling under no power for it to start ratcheting?
Don't think so! DAN! Think for a second, I know it hurts, but it will be worth the effort. Lockers 'lock' the axles together under power, and coast (ratchet) when power is not applied, such as taking a corner (off of the gas).

If you tried to apply the brake on the throttl, on a locked front end, you would burn up that brake. I would run them with a selectable locker (ARB, OX, Elocker, ect...) or none at all. I've thought about doing something similar only using tractor type brake pedals (duel pedals with a lever locking them together for normal use).

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Magoo said:

Don't think so! DAN! Think for a second, I know it hurts, but it will be worth the effort. Lockers 'lock' the axles together under power, and coast (ratchet) when power is not applied, such as taking a corner (off of the gas).

If you tried to apply the brake on the throttl, on a locked front end, you would burn up that brake. I would run them with a selectable locker (ARB, OX, Elocker, ect...) or none at all. I've thought about doing something similar only using tractor type brake pedals (duel pedals with a lever locking them together for normal use).
The cutting brake is plumbed to the rear brakes, shift the t-case to front only, apply the cutting brake and turn, the rear detroit is not under torque and will rachet.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
751 Posts
PYRO said:

The cutting brake is plumbed to the rear brakes, shift the t-case to front only, apply the cutting brake and turn, the rear detroit is not under torque and will rachet.:rolleyes:
Hmm... Aren't "cutting" brakes the subject here? As used in sand rails, they work left right, just like a tractor, which I cited in my earlier post!

·
Registered
206 Posts
How exactly does that cutting brake work? I see the you have a single line from the master cylinder and it splits the fluid to each rear tire. But when you apply one of the levers, does it apply pressure to the corresponding brake? If so, how does it keep from feeding back to the master cylinder? Check valves? How are they set up? Or is it a shut off switch and you just use your regular pedal? Thanks for any info. That is a slick setup, just trying to figure out the mechanicals of it.:beer:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Magoo said:

Hmm... Aren't "cutting" brakes the subject here? As used in sand rails, they work left right, just like a tractor, which I cited in my earlier post!
YES, CUTTING BRAKES ARE THE SUBJECT HERE!!!!!!
and as I said in MY earlier post , they are plumbed into the rear brakes, one lever for the right rear brake and the other lever for left rear brake. NOT both front and rear on each side but the REAR brakes only. Does that spell it out for you? or should I try again?

EDIT:
What I'm trying to explane is in responds to this:
-snip-"If you tried to apply the brake on the throttl, on a locked front end, you would burn up that brake."-snip-

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Just a thought on a cheaper, low-tech solution..

How about plumbing an electric mico-lock into each half of the rear brake system - hardlines on the axle tube - and run a wire back up to the chassis and ultimately two toggles.

Apply brake.

Flip the switch for the left 'lock. Release brake - left side caliper stays locked tight.

Shift into FWD, throttle to where you want to be, release the mico-lock, shift back into 4x4, and re-apply right foot.

Or is this idea just too low-tech and not enough Bling Bling?

Downside is you'd have to actually stop to apply the cutting brake - but for anything other than a comp-buggy, wouldn't that be adequate?

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
i thought about doing that but in comps that is a lot of work to do. will it work for trail riding yes comps no.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
tsm1mt said:
Just a thought on a cheaper, low-tech solution..

How about plumbing an electric mico-lock into each half of the rear brake system - hardlines on the axle tube - and run a wire back up to the chassis and ultimately two toggles.

- but for anything other than a comp-buggy, wouldn't that be adequate?
This what I use on mine,,,,,,for now anyway,,,,,,,works OK but the lever type above probably works better,,,(?)

You can just barely see the right side lock solenoid on the axle's upper link mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
On these lever type deals, does the lever stay in place once actuated?
I mean it's not something you have to hold while making your turn. Right?
I have the Biondo line locks right now, thought about doing levers for my other project.

·
Registered
751 Posts
PYRO said:

YES, CUTTING BRAKES ARE THE SUBJECT HERE!!!!!!
and as I said in MY earlier post , they are plumbed into the rear brakes, one lever for the right rear brake and the other lever for left rear brake. NOT both front and rear on each side but the REAR brakes only. Does that spell it out for you? or should I try again?

EDIT:
What I'm trying to explane is in responds to this:
-snip-"If you tried to apply the brake on the throttl, on a locked front end, you would burn up that brake."-snip-
You are talking about locking rear and steering with the front, I am talking about locking left or right side and steering with the brakes like sandrails and tractors. This is why I said you would burn up one side if the axle was locked!

Reading comprehension, we learned that in 1st grade.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I'm very sure there are Sandrail and Tractor Bulletin Broads that can anwser your guestion,,,,, everybody I know here are rockcrawlers and use setups similier to the one I use,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do you really need to be such an asshole with everything you write :flipoff:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.