Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Started working on the interior panels and fuel tank mount.

The skid is a Savvy 3/16" 6061 aluminum skid for TJ/LJ jeeps. We designed some mounting brackets to fit the chassis and had them cut and formed from 1/4" steel. The fuel pressure regulator/ filter will tuck up under the interior panels and keep the fuel line routing clean and simple.

The majority of the interior panel kit is .080" aluminum, with critical or high load areas made out of .125". I started in the rear and fit the top fender covers, inner fender panels, fuel tank cover, and the panel that sits under the rear seat. This chassis is able to fit a 39" bench in the rear. If no bench is installed there is roughly 60" from the back of the front seat to the tailgate :smokin:.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Love the build, I have been trying to figure how I want to proceed with my LJ build once the frame needs replacing (next winter).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Very nice!
I am really liking this!
Mad skillz. McLovin the build.
Love the build, I have been trying to figure how I want to proceed with my LJ build once the frame needs replacing (next winter).
Same here. Lots of crunchies in the frame on my passenger side
Thanks! I am working on a update right now. A fair amount of progress has been made in the last few weeks.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
pretty dang cool to have them out there :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Chassis looked awesome in person. Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. :beer:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
There hasn't been as much as I would have hoped for :(

I will try to add a few pictures. I didn't realize how long it takes to mess around with uploading pics, resizing them, and posting them.

Holy mackerel, it's been 4 months since I updated?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Before KOH, I worked on getting the drivetrain fit. 5.3LS mockup block, 4L80 mockup trans, Atlas 3.8 race case.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Next order of business was fitting the rocker rub rails. These are trick little parts, IMHO. The weld bungs are 1.75 dia. solid steel, drilled and tapped for 1/2-13 bolts, and profiled to fit the 1.75" 7075 rocker bar. The 7075 rocker is drilled and counterbored to fit a 1/2-13 socket head cap screw. The rub rails are a "consumable" part, and can be easily replaced down the road if needed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I worked on fitting the corner armor and cutting out the wheel opening. I strapped the axle at full bump to make sure I would have adequate tire clearance. Then I took a piece of electrical wire, tied a noose in one end and tightened it around the axle tube but left it loose enough that it would still rotate. Then I tied a loop ~21" from the axle centerline to clear a 42" tire if I ever decide to go that big. I stuck a scribe in the loop and traced out the wheel opening. After cutting it with the plas, I cleaned the cut up with a grinder and flap wheel.

I failed to take many pictures, I was in a rush trying to get it ready for KOH.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts