Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Fitting the rear shocks was pretty straightforward. Fit the chassis side mounts, installed the trailing arms, and bolted the shocks up. I also fit the rear sway bar and axle tabs.

The shocks are 2.0" X 12" Fox remote res coilovers with +1" extended lower eyelets, and 3.0" X 12" Fox piggyback 4 tube bypass shocks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I don't have many pictures of the front shock mounts, but they are cut out of 2X4X.25 wall tubing. The weld seam is ground smooth, and weld washers added.

The shocks are 2.0" X 14" Fox remote res coilovers , and 3.0" X 14" Fox piggyback 4 tube bypass shocks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
So this is the point where I had to stop working on it and get it loaded in the trailer to head to KOH.

I have a mock-up tub sitting on the chassis, the rub rails installed, corner armor and Savvy stainless body rub rails installed, Savvy aluminum bumpers front and rear, shocks bolted up, rear air bumps installed, and for the first time it is sitting on its wheels and tires!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
A few pictures from KOH. I was fortunate enough to go wheeling for a few hours with Ian Johnson in his Goatbuilt LJ buggy he built on his TV show. It was a blast, and a kick in the ass to get mine done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Once KOH was done and the project was back at the shop, I finalized the transmission*mount and started on the rest of the interior.

My tig welding is getting better!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I am in the process of finalizing the interior and getting the seats fit. I need to install the tub and get that finalized before I mount the seats to make sure I have adequate clearance around the doors.

Most of the interior panels are .080" aluminum, and are attached with 1/4-20 nutserts and 1/4-20 x .500 pan head bolts. I have around 6 hours fitting the front interior panels and welding on the seat cross tubes. I am waiting to weld the steel firewall panels until the seats are mounted. Once the seats are mounted, I can locate where the brake pedal and orbital valve need to be located.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
And we are current after this post. I have the tub sitting on the table, and am trimming it to fit the chassis. I am hoping to have it trimmed and have the mounting holes drilled tonight or tomorrow, then get it bolted to the chassis this weekend.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I am in the process of finalizing the interior and getting the seats fit. I need to install the tub and get that finalized before I mount the seats to make sure I have adequate clearance around the doors.

Most of the interior panels are .080" aluminum, and are attached with 1/4-20 nutserts and 1/4-20 x .500 pan head bolts. I have around 6 hours fitting the front interior panels and welding on the seat cross tubes. I am waiting to weld the steel firewall panels until the seats are mounted. Once the seats are mounted, I can locate where the brake pedal and orbital valve need to be located.

Thanks for the update! these pictures are really helpful. I am curious about headspace for an adult on the back seat. i dont have an interior yet so im just sitting on blocks in the back seat area. I have about 3" horizontally before the back of my head hits the crossbar, but anyone under 5'8" wouldnt have a problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Thanks for the update! these pictures are really helpful. I am curious about headspace for an adult on the back seat. i dont have an interior yet so im just sitting on blocks in the back seat area.
I wanted to make sure the interior fit well before shipping product to the customer. I will make sure your interior panel kit ships this week.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Before I could move forward with mounting the seats, controls, and steering I needed to fit the body. This involved a ton of cutting, grinding, and on again off again of the tub.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Getting closer!

This part of the project was burning up abrasive consumables. The weapon of choice*was an extended die grinder, and it seemed a bit clumsy swapping out tooling. I mounted a random 7/16 wrench to my box, works really well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
After a weekend of grinding and cutting, the tub is fit! The hood and grill need a little tweaking, I just tossed them on there to see how it looked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking great, Josh!

If I had more posts on here, I could throw up a pic of mine. Close to the same stage!
Still a bit behind yours, though.

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
Looking great, Josh!

If I had more posts on here, I could throw up a pic of mine. Close to the same stage!
Get some more post a get a build thread going. Love these chassis.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Mad fab skills man! Hey I saw on the first pics you have a minitrail 70? We outa go cruising!

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
I ran some numbers on the rear trailing arm geometry with the shocks you have the best I could from the pictures and shock specs. Assuming you have the 36" trailing arms. The 2"x 12" coilover travels 10" at a ratio of .67 and the 3" x 12" bypass travels 12" at a ratio of .8 for a vertical axle travel of 15". That is not including any limitation by the bumps or straps. I was wanting to compare the actual coilover travel as I have a 10" travel coilover at .58 ratio for 17" vertical travel. I dont see anyone running 10" coilovers, most are running 12" and 14" travel but it appears the bypass is the limiting factor. So travel is similar, the difference is your coilover and bypass are to the sides of the rear bench seat where as mine are at the corner front and I don't have a bypass to package. The width of the rear seat really comes into play with the suspension.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Looking great, Josh!
Thanks! Send me a PM, I can't figure out who you are, haha.

Wild build! I can't wait for more
Thanks, I am working on getting the tub mounted, and working on the rear belt rails now.

Mad fab skills man! Hey I saw on the first pics you have a minitrail 70? We outa go cruising!
For sure, I might be on one of my 1973 Honda ST90s though. That old Trail 70 hasn't been started in over 30 years. I am the second owner, and don't care if sits there looking pretty forever. It is a 1971 CT70 with the four speed manual, and 1300 miles. It is mint!

I ran some numbers on the rear trailing arm geometry with the shocks you have the best I could from the pictures and shock specs. Assuming you have the 36" trailing arms. The 2"x 12" coilover travels 10" at a ratio of .67 and the 3" x 12" bypass travels 12" at a ratio of .8 for a vertical axle travel of 15". That is not including any limitation by the bumps or straps. I was wanting to compare the actual coilover travel as I have a 10" travel coilover at .58 ratio for 17" vertical travel. I dont see anyone running 10" coilovers, most are running 12" and 14" travel but it appears the bypass is the limiting factor. So travel is similar, the difference is your coilover and bypass are to the sides of the rear bench seat where as mine are at the corner front and I don't have a bypass to package. The width of the rear seat really comes into play with the suspension.
Assuming you have the 36" trailing arms. The 2"x 12" coilover travels 10" at a ratio of .67 and the 3" x 12" bypass travels 12" at a ratio of .8 for a vertical axle travel of 15". That is not including any limitation by the bumps or straps. I was wanting to compare the actual coilover travel as I have a 10" travel coilover at .58 ratio for 17" vertical travel. .
I used the information HERE to determine my rear wheel travel numbers.

Wheel travel = Shock travel x B / A
or
Shock travel = Wheel travel x A / B
or
A = B x Shock Travel / Wheel travel

One thing to keep in mind, the 36.00" dimension is only referencing the trailing arm, not the whole suspension system. In reality, that dimension is ~39.5". The rear trailing arm bolt is 3.5" from the axle centerline with the Goat Built lower control arm mounts.

Wheel travel = *C/O Shock travel (12") x B (39.5") / A (23.5")
20.17" of travel (not currently using 100% of c/o travel)

Wheel travel = *Bypass Shock travel (12") x B (39.5") / A (28.5")
16.63" of travel at bypass limits (this is the limiting factor)

I am getting the full 16.63" of travel at the wheel, using all the travel the bypass will allow. I am adding limit straps, and already have the bumps installed to bottom out at the same time as the bypass shock.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts