Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im fighting to get my steering arm off.
It well not budge.
I got the nuts off. But it almost looks like it sheer the nut 3/4 of the way down. Or is that just rust deposits on the cone washers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trick is to hit it with a bfh where the #'s are stamped on the steering arm. I did mine the other day, took 5 minutes it was off.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
get a large deep socket and place it over the stud making sure the you are not on the cone, 15/16 or bigger. hammer down on the socket and the cone will walk up the stud.

and get your wife to hit it for you, since you cant seem to get it done your self.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get your wife to hit it for you, since you cant seem to get it done your self.
Ill try the socket thing tomorrow.

But i let the Girl Friend go at it and she hit it so hard the arm is all bent funny now.

·
Registered
560 Posts
they never are easy. what i've done is keep it well lubricated, alternate hits with the BFH on the top and bottom of the hole that the draglink was bolted to. the conical washers will back out of their holes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This question has only been posted a million fucking times.
Search fawker. :flipoff2:
First. Ive been on the forum for over a year and know the "noob search code"
2nd. obviously i had searched other wise of never would have not know about to beat on it with a bfh and the cone washers if i didn't search
3rd You clearly didn't read my original post. It was asking did my nuts shear or are those cone washers. Not how to remove to remove the arm

So :flipoff2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
and take your butthurtz to the nOOb forum
ill make sure i thank your mom for last night on my way there.
Thought i could take off my diaper off my ass and talk with the big boys guess not. Ill be putting that preparation h on for a month now thanks to your self.

Im just messing around with ya buddy. I read your first post just didn't realize you posted that constructive post as well.

(Seen you changed your post after i wrote this...now it make no sense LOL)

How did you manage to get it off?
I would not have admitted that I let me girlfriend swing at it... weak fawker. :flipoff2:
After the 24 years of road salt it wasn't budging after beating on it with a hammer for no word of a lie 5 hours. There was 5 of us working in the shop so we took turns. So i took a grinder and cut lines close as the stud as i could. Then jammed the air chisels down in the and was able to start to break the cones free. After cutting, chiseling and hitting for about a hour it came free.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
i had one that i couldnt get off and it was a trail fix emergency, all and all we put the knuckle on with the stock arm because it would get me home. when i got around to fixing it the next day i looked and we had forgot to put the nuts back on for the arm, 60 miles or windy canyon rough road and 30 miles of freeway and it didnt budge, not loose, the cones didnt start walking up it was dead solid.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I've always soaked w/PB Blaster and then hit the very end of the arm with BFH. The end stud should walk out, then hit the side, the next one will walk, then the third one is usually fairly easy

Never tried with an air hammer yet but I bet that would make it a lot faster

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
why would he still hit it, its off, its done, problem solved and there is no reason to hit anymore.
So when fawkers tell noobs to "fucking search" there will be some more useable info in the thread

:flipoff2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts