Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i sold my '05 Long armd rubicon and bought an '01 cherokee. i plan to also long arm this too and add full width axles. my local 4x4 shop has a 78 (or 79, i cant remember right now) f-250 hp D44 front axle that is now mine ;) it hasnt been rebuilt or anything. i want to put in all new seals, new R&P new brakes, new bearings, warn premium hubs, everything really. are there any books or online write ups that will have the tq specs and step by step instrustions to do this. im trying to do everything my self except set up the R&P. this is a project that im starting to gather parts for so the actual build up is at the very least a year off prolly more :( im now in the market for a dana 60 full floater :)

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
ok so i sold my '05 Long armd rubicon and bought an '01 cherokee. i plan to also long arm this too and add full width axles. my local 4x4 shop has a 78 (or 79, i cant remember right now) f-250 hp D44 front axle that is now mine ;) it hasnt been rebuilt or anything. i want to put in all new seals, new R&P new brakes, new bearings, warn premium hubs, everything really. are there any books or online write ups that will have the tq specs and step by step instrustions to do this. im trying to do everything my self except set up the R&P. this is a project that im starting to gather parts for so the actual build up is at the very least a year off prolly more :( im now in the market for a dana 60 full floater :)
Im guessing your not doin the fab work yourself??? The seals, brakes, and all the axle over haul specs can be found in a chilton or GAYnes manaul. Your warn hubs will come with instructions, so provided you can follow them you should be fine. However if your having a shop over haul the ring and pinion then they will likly do a master rebuild kit as well wich will contain all new seals anywyas. Brakes are well, easy. Fab work is wat you should really be asking about. Im guessing the 44 youve aquired has the cast wedges??? If so do you intend to modify a ford radius arm? Run a y-link radius arm such as RE or TNT? Or will you fab your own 3-link? These are the questions Id be asking if I were you, and hop into the cherokee section. If you can swim threw a liltle flamming and a bunch of dudes telling you to search then you will get all the answers you need. PS the rear D60 (even full float) is highly over rated and not nearly as strong as you think it will be. Yes it can be overhauled with 35 spline shafts but my vote says ignore the 60 and look for a 14BFF and shave the bottom lip off with a grinder.

·
11,307 Posts
check the thread on my signature, I think I posted a bunch of pics or links to re-building my old HP44 and 60, so that may help, the seals, brakes, hubs, etc, are very similar on both, so aside form kingpins, bigger stuff like shafts and tubes, the HP 44 78 and 78 D60 are pretty much very close.

·
Registered
584 Posts

If you havent found this site already, naxja.org is a forum all about xj's. Theres a huge wealth of knowledge over there as well as here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive been on naxja.org, but im expanding my resources :)

my axle is out of a 250 so no wedges :)

exceprt for setting up the gears i plan to do everything my self, my friend is a certified welder, and im prolly gonna use a TNT customs truss for the cherokee. Mike at App. off road gave me he information i need to get started and is even gonna get me a good deal on parts.

i am gonna do a D60 cause a 14b is just way way to much. the shop im gonna use has the tool to ream out the spindles so im good there too.

thanks for the comments guys :) keep em comming

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
someone told me about a book i could get from randys ring & pinoin that has specs and instructions for rebuilding all kinds of axles. does anyone know the name of this book or one like it. i really dont want to buy a chilton for a 78 250 all i have is the axle lol

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
someone told me about a book i could get from randys ring & pinoin that has specs and instructions for rebuilding all kinds of axles. does anyone know the name of this book or one like it. i really dont want to buy a chilton for a 78 250 all i have is the axle lol
yea, there is a book. I have it. I will post up the details when I get home tomorrow night. It has all the answeres and any dummy can to a R&P change easy with this book.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just go to Randy's site (www.ringpinion.com) and download the setup manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts