Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
sounds like you did your home work.

I can always swap out the turbin housing for a lower A/R to help in spool up. Im just dinkering around now. I just want the system to work reliably under low boost.

The turbo will be mounted on the passenger side. I will be using the stock exhaust manifold and building a new pipe assembly to the passenger side wrapped.

Still waiting on parts. I hope to start this weekend. We will see!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds good itll be interesting to see how that works out. Id liek to keep my exhaust manifold as short as possible, i was considering getting liek an old used 4.0 exhaust header, and cutting it up to make it discharge right into the turbo possibly right under the brake booster.

Sounds like the longer exhaust runs can decrease your efficiency since you might loose some of the heat traveling to the other side of the engine. Also from what ive read the temp's can be hard on long exhaust runs, eventually leading to cracking.

I havent looked into it closely enouhg though i dont even know if id have enough room in that position and still be able to get my oil drain line back to the pan.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This looks like a really cool project. Can't wait to see the end result.

Regarding the intercooler effectiveness at slow speed, why not mount a fan to the 'cooler and only use it when on the trail? As long as you can move cool air across the heat exchanger, it should work.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds like the longer exhaust runs can decrease your efficiency since you might loose some of the heat traveling to the other side of the engine. Also from what ive read the temp's can be hard on long exhaust runs, eventually leading to cracking.

I havent looked into it closely enouhg though i dont even know if id have enough room in that position and still be able to get my oil drain line back to the pan.
You are correct on loosing effectiveness on a longer runner, But I have no choice. I need this turbo High and protected from Rocks(I run the Hammer trails).

I will wrap the pipe to keep as much Heat as possible. But its better then doing a fully remote unit like you see on Corvettes. I will run a EGT guage to monitor the temps to make sure I don't go in the RED zone.

As for a Fan, That won't happen unless I replace the mechanical unit off the motor. I don't need a turbo until I get into the high speed stuff(Climbing a sand hill in a taller gear for wheel speed, climbing that long steep grade on the highway)

Plus, Im going to 39's now.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got a little done. I was looking at the turbine assy and I decided to rotate the parts to better soot for my needs. I also decided to remove the 8-12psi WG(Waste Gate) actuator for the other 6-8 psi one. the one with the Japanese writing is the lower one:

And before I took off the Higher WG, I took some measurments so I can adjust the lower WG to specs:

Now the WG is removed, I can rotate the CHRA(Center Housing Rotating Assembly) Notice in this pic the difference between the input on the Turbine compared the the output on the compresser Verses the oil return line location. this clearly will not work.

I wanted the input of the turbine facing down and the output of the compressor facing down in line for the future Intercooler. I also needed the oil return tube facing down. AND I needed to take into account the line up and the relocation of the WG actuator bracket so all is in working order. So after a beer and rotating things, this is what I came up with:

And everthing is still inline. if this current setup don't work, I can remove the assembly and adjust the rotation of the turbo.

And here are some pics of some needed stuff:

Picture of the Greddy Blow off valve:

And you can't run a turbo without 2.25" mandrel bent tubing(cut and welded to fit) to the turbin. Also included is 2.5" mandrel bent tubing to the 2.5" cat and muffler then a straight dump:

Still waiting on my donuot and 0-2 sensor.

Tomorrow is tear down. I decided to remove the R/S fender for ease of accessability.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got some more done today.

Here is the space I have to work with:

now time for tear down, before:

And I needed to get more access to the bay, so off with the fender:

Now I have room to work:

I wanted to keep as much stuff mounted as possible to get the best turbo mock up. I Used some Bailing wire and strung it from the grill support beam to the other grill support beam to hold the turbo in position.

So now starts my first attempt:

And I was contacting one of the plug wires at the distributor:

So that wasn't going to work. My neighbor across the street came over to take a look after I was wrestling with the placement over an Hour. Here is the final placement and Im going with it:

And another shot:

We had to bend the dipstick mount a little inboard to clear for the exhaust down pipe. I even made sure the dipstick still slides in and out with ease like before. I bought all my bolts and nuts to mount the flanges to the turbo to aid in mock up. in this last pic, everything will clear and I will still be able to do oil changes with ease. the up pipe will snake up in front of the engine mount. the oil return will snake down just behind the engine mount.

I bought some Galvenized steel angle iron you use to install garage doors. I will use this to fab up my support mounts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So know that the turbo is in a position I can work with, its time to get the sawzall out and take some frustration out on my Beat to Hell, Stock OEM, from the day it rolled off the assembly line, exhaust system. So out with the old:

And soon to be in with the new:

And when I wasn't looking, the UPS man snuck a package to my front door:

So, tomorrow I make my first cut on my up-pipe that will mount to the exhaust manifold. then I will go down to get this flanged, then bolt it up. I will probably buy some conduit to mock up my bends for the up-pipe. this up-pipe will snake alot to work right.

But Hey, If its not a challange, then its no fun. And BTW, I have NEVER done anything like this in my life, never! Im learning as I go.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You might want to try and recycle that old catalytic converter. "Cat theft" is becoming a pretty big issue (where I live anyway), and I hear they fetch around a hundred bucks due to their precious metal content. Apparently, the OEM cats are more valuable than the aftermarket ones for some reason.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Your my IDLE.... Really I am impressed
This really isn't that hard. The Hardest part of this is when I try to get the engine to run on boost while the ECU will fight me the entire time! Thats what Im worried about.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You might want to try and recycle that old catalytic converter. "Cat theft" is becoming a pretty big issue (where I live anyway), and I hear they fetch around a hundred bucks due to their precious metal content. Apparently, the OEM cats are more valuable than the aftermarket ones for some reason.
I'll look into that. If I can get a couple of bucks to help offset the cost or at least fill my tank with Premium(Ouch!), that would be nice.

The only downfall of this, is that I will have to go to premium fuel to fight Detonation. that is going to suck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had many turbo cars, Saabs and Porches they are great.
Look for a saab 9000 intercooler they are thin. I think it might work for you application. They go for cheap on ebay.
I agree withthe saab 9000 intercooler, I know where they are plentiful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am very interested in this same thing for my 97 tj. i noticed i have been hitting many of the same sites you have been posting on about this topic. all of these sites are set to my favoriates and i check them more than a few times a day. keep up the good work and all the nice pics.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Im also doing a small turbo on my 98 4cly. Im trying to figure out the fuel system as we speak. The 4cyl have a non return fuel rail, so thats todays problem.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I spent all day sunday going to Vegas so My Wife can do some grocery shopping for special ingredients you can't get in Barstow. I Had to go because she had that look in Her eyes. Spent All last weekend at the Hammers and the week prior working on my Jeep. So She deserved some time from me. So nothing was done this Past Sunday.

But today after work, I did my first cut on my up-pipe that will mount to the exhaust Manifold. Then I got my O-2 Bung today as well. Then I had a pro mate the stock flare to the new up-pipe piece.

Pics will come soon.

Goal by the end of the week is to have the entire up-pipe tacked into place, and the mount re-inforcement done.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Well. .

Between yesterday after work and today after work, I was able to make a little Head way. Yesterday, All I wanted to do was get the beginning of the up pipe to bolt up to my stock manifold. So a before pic of what I had to make:

And the after pic after all is tacked up:

The O-2 Sensor will be mounted on the inside of the above bend, similar to the stock location. I also bought my O-2 Bung yesterday. that will get welded in when I remove the complete up-pipe system to do final burn in of all weld points.

So today was to bolt on the "beginnings" of my up-pipe to the manifold and start doing mock up:

Then I cut another piece to wrap in front of the oil pan:

Another view:

this is where I stopped. To mate the up pipe to the turbine flange, I needed to start work on the other end.

So this is how you make a round plug fit into a rectangle hole:
before:

then a few cuts here, some bending there, during:

So now its time to figure out how to plug up them nasty holes at the corner. So I cut some sacrificail pipe(only 3/4 of an inch) and started cuttin some plugs Here is what I got to this point:

Im ok with this set up. But I still need to alot of work and massaging to this piece. Pics of the final product will be posted soon. the remaining pipe from the flange will more then likely get trimmed off. I need to get this flange done to aid me in connecting to the up pipe. I figure start a little from one end and stop, then start at the other end and stop. do a little at a time to get the best set up.

Next step: start doing the reinforcement brackets to hold the weight of the turbo unit. then I can finish my up-pipe. And when Im happey the the up-pipe, remove and burn it all in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking good. I know a guy here in colorado Springs that did a turbo on his Xj. He said that he swapped the map sensor out for one out of a supercharged grand prix and his engine ran like a top, with no other changes. I think was was running about 8 lbs and no intercooler. if you want to ask him any questions he goes by cagedxj on colorado4x4.org

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Man this is awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product.
thanks man, I hope I can give the best quality with the limited supply of tools I have

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looking good. I know a guy here in colorado Springs that did a turbo on his Xj. He said that he swapped the map sensor out for one out of a supercharged grand prix and his engine ran like a top, with no other changes. I think was was running about 8 lbs and no intercooler. if you want to ask him any questions he goes by cagedxj on colorado4x4.org
thanks for the tip. I'll look him up when it comes to the tuning stage of this project

21 - 40 of 641 Posts