Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to pnp this morning to score the HB out of an astro van for $6.00. Its going in my 71 800B. looks like the battery will need to be relocated.

I have searched and read and searched and read but havent seen any pics that give me an idea where to relocate it to. I dont really want to remove the heater, but that looks like the best spot to put it. Im thinking about just moving it forward from its current location but not sure if there is room until I have the HB in my hands.

What did you who went HB do with your battery?

Flame On!!!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just moved it forward a bit.I also lowered the inner fender at the same time.You should have plenty of room. I can take some pics if you want but not until Sunday.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
if you're getting it for $6, get two and I'll give you $65 shipped for it:D

·
Registered
589 Posts
IF you can find one from a p30 stepvan they fit without needing the 1" spacer the astro one does. at least at a scoutII. I'm assuming its the same spacing on the older scouts. They're $9 at the picnpull yards here.

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IF you can find one from a p30 stepvan they fit without needing the 1" spacer the astro one does. at least at a scoutII. I'm assuming its the same spacing on the older scouts. They're $9 at the picnpull yards here.
I got mine out of a '90 astro van. I havent had time to measure yet to see what needs to be done. the wifes projects come first. :shaking:

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
if you're getting it for $6, get two and I'll give you $65 shipped for it:D
They are $6.00 all day here... saw 3 more today. I believe two of them are newer than 1990. the reservoirs were big and the assembly slanted down at an angle. I will go pull all of them if need be.

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what mods are you having to make at the bracket/pedal ass.?
Not sure yet. will do some mock ups in the morning. thinking about removing the black bucket that the current M|S is mounted to and fabbing something that is the reverse of it. in other words will allow the booster to sit into the fire wall and allow me to use the push rod that came with the setup and move the master and booster back for more battery room.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
This is my 80. I drilled new holes as the mounting pattern is different, and modified the pushrod. IIRC I cut 3/8-1/2" off. Factory battery location on the 80 is between the grill and radiator support right in font of the passenger tire.

There is always the HOS master cylinder upgrade, but that is not an assisted cylinder.

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is my 80. I drilled new holes as the mounting pattern is different, and modified the pushrod. IIRC I cut 3/8-1/2" off. Factory battery location on the 80 is between the grill and radiator support right in font of the passenger tire.

There is always the HOS master cylinder upgrade, but that is not an assisted cylinder.
I read HOS's write up and actually have done that (haven't drove it yet) but am going to be pulling a 2500 lb tent trailer or the boat at times and wanted the power assist.

The 800 battery is on the inner fender right in front of the master cylinder. I am contemplating modding the blue bucket in your pic. I could move it back a few inches that way.

As soon as I get done with this first cup of coffee, I will go out and start measuring and taking pictures.

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I did a small amount of mock up.... If I was to fab a new bracket to replace the bucket that would relocate the HB into the cab I would not need to relocate the battery. It looks like the push rod would be good if the HB was an inch or so into the cab.

Opinions anyone????

Attachments

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
They are $6.00 all day here... saw 3 more today. I believe two of them are newer than 1990. the reservoirs were big and the assembly slanted down at an angle. I will go pull all of them if need be.
If you head back, my offer stands for $65 shipped for one. You can easily sell them for a good profit on ebay. I don't have any yards I can walk around and pull stuff close to me:( It's about time I got brakes on dad's diesel scout, manual brakes just aren't cutting it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here are the pics.Let me know if you need a different angle/shot and I can get more this afternoon.I need to clean it up,kind of hard to see everything clearly with all the dirt.
I used a scout II mc which I think is shorter.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
rick, did you say you moved it forward? It looks quite short. what about a pushrod?
I moved the battery forward.I did have to modify the push rod but dont remember how much.Sorry.Im not like some of these guys that document every nut and bolt and take really cool pics.Crap I cant even remember what I ate for breakfast,oh wait maybe I didnt.
I think it is quite a bit shorter with the Scout II mc.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
So I did a small amount of mock up.... If I was to fab a new bracket to replace the bucket that would relocate the HB into the cab I would not need to relocate the battery. It looks like the push rod would be good if the HB was an inch or so into the cab.

Opinions anyone????
why not just recess the bracket like i did and not go into the cab.i know i gained about 2 inches or more by doin this.i was originally going to run a scout 2 booster and master and needed the room at the inner fender.going hydro now tho with the 42's,but extra room is extra room

Attachments

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why not just recess the bracket like i did and not go into the cab.i know i gained about 2 inches or more by doin this.i was originally going to run a scout 2 booster and master and needed the room at the inner fender.going hydro now tho with the 42's,but extra room is extra room

BINGO!!!!!! That is what I was thinking of.......... should have plenty of room.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
You guys can't just make a new flat plate to cover that location? What's that bump used for originally? Seems it'd be easier than cutting and modding the stock cover.

71' 800: Any chance you went back to the yard and grabbed the hydroboost setups?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You guys can't just make a new flat plate to cover that location? What's that bump used for originally? Seems it'd be easier than cutting and modding the stock cover.

71' 800: Any chance you went back to the yard and grabbed the hydroboost setups?
firewall is angled,if you just plate it, the booster would stick up toward the hood.i cut mine and gained about two inches after seeing the inner fender of my buddy's truck beat to hell.that's using a scout 2 booster and master,might be a different game going with the hydro set up.i'm going to go hydro also,just haven't bought it yet.i've never even seen one in person so i don't really know size or lenght or much about them in general really.i just know/heard they are the way to go,and with 42's i think it is now a nessesary.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts