Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 4 reference books/materials so I am mostly set in the how to discect, inspect, and assemble the tranny.

I'm going to pull apart the tranny this week to find out what really needs to be done:p From an inspection after pulling the oil pan, it appeared to be in good condition(use/condition of tranny unknown... junkyard special:p)

My question is in regards to what parts to use.

I've seen references to "heavy duty" clutches/etc. Is this worth the extra $20-$30 to get them?

I've also seen references to "heavy duty" bands. Is this worth the extra $20 to the rebuild?

I'm not sure I'm interested in a shift kit or other valve body upgrades. But out of curiousity, does either of the upgrades effect gas milage severely(what can I say, my rig will see a bunch of on-road use :p)

Yes, I did a search with no results of use.

Thanks in advance for any useful info,
John

·
Registered
301 Posts
Heavy duty clutches or extra clutches and heavy duty bands are definately worth it. As for the shift kit, I wouldn't go more than a stage 1 unless you are runnin the mud or a race car of sorts. I have a stage two and it slams you to the seats pretty good when it shifts in the high side and in the low side its 2.72 times worse. Its great in the mud though it breaks the tires loose to rain trail goo on everything behind you. This is in a CJ-7 with an enriched I-6 and 34" TSL's and when it shifts in the high side on a gravel road it will bark the tires.

Later
John

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40 looks and one reply? I thought there were 'experts' here:D :D

Any one else?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would put a Trans Go shift kit in. Then get a heavy duty one way clutch. I cant remember the name for the clutch but it rides on one of the drums inside, it has rollers andlittle springs to hold rollers in place. That is a weak link in the 400. I wouldnt worry about extra clutches, I built a 400 just like this and drag raced it for five years without any failures. The one thing I have learned about auto's is you only use one manual and one shift kit and dont make a bunch of mods from different sources the it will be short lived!!;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts