Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing a home brew long arm setup on an Xj real soon.. I have been looking into coils and just cant decide whats best. I am hoping to get around 6" to 8" of lift out of the setup, Enough to clear 35" tires plus it will get some sawzall work:)

What coils do you guys like?? Skyjackers, RE,??? I need some opinions
This setup is being built on somewhat of a budget, So no coilovers or airshocks. Just good old coils???

Also, Does anybody have any experience with moving the front end forward?? I would really like to push it forward about 2-3" but i don't really want to build a new top coil bucket, Any idea's??

Last but not least, I saw somewhere on here about dakota leaves giving the rear of an Xj like 5" of lift?? Whats the deal on that?? I searched but came up empty handed?? Tell me more......

Thanks in advance
Joey

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Check out naxja.com which is the North American XJ Assoc and/or xjdb.com which is a xj/mj only site with plenty of pics. Just type in long arms and see what you get. I'm also looking to do long arms in the future.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If you want to move your axle forward,it would probably be easier to cut off all the brackets, etc on the axle and relocate them. You might as well move the lowers up flush with the tubes. heck, throw a 44 in while you're at it. That's what I'm in the process now. I set the front the same distance from the tcase as the rear so I can swap driveshafts if I have to. And I wouldn't use a sawzall. It tends to grab and bent the sheet metal. Use a die grinder and a cut off wheel. I think that does a nicer job. As far as springs, RE's seem nice. I have Rusty's and have no complaints about them.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would run RE's. You don't really need more than about 5-5.5" to clear 35's and them work. Bumpstops are your friend....

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I also agree with the RE coils. Then Rusty's if you are on a budget. I don't care for the skyjacker coils. I personally think they are stiff especially the 8" coils. The 5.5's from RE will be fine for 35's I had them with the ACOS spacers at 2" on my cherokee and I carved out enough room for 37's.

·
5,599 Posts
Wideopen said:
I plan on doing a home brew long arm setup on an Xj real soon.. I have been looking into coils and just cant decide whats best. I am hoping to get around 6" to 8" of lift out of the setup, Enough to clear 35" tires plus it will get some sawzall work:)

What coils do you guys like?? Skyjackers, RE,??? I need some opinions
This setup is being built on somewhat of a budget, So no coilovers or airshocks. Just good old coils???

Also, Does anybody have any experience with moving the front end forward?? I would really like to push it forward about 2-3" but i don't really want to build a new top coil bucket, Any idea's??

Last but not least, I saw somewhere on here about dakota leaves giving the rear of an Xj like 5" of lift?? Whats the deal on that?? I searched but came up empty handed?? Tell me more......

Thanks in advance
Joey
A better topic for NAXJA, but At leats your trying to build it your self.... :D

Coil Spring rate formula is:
[11,250,000 x coil spring wire diameter^4] / [8 x # of active coils x avg. coil diameter^3]
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/pbf31e61bc1716baf1c2de51e79529b1d/fdc2a247.jpg

Leaf spring rate Formula:
[((Width of leaves in inches)X(Number of leaves))/12]X[(1000Xthickness of one leaf in inches)/(length of spring eye to eye)]^3= spring rate

COILS:
OEM XJ is supposedly 142-147 lb/in rate. 17" length 5.25" diameter
OEM ZJ with 4.0 is supposedly 190 lb/in rate front and rear.

OME 930 coils: 160 lb. spring rate. 1.75" of lift on XJ
OME 934 coils: 180 lb. spring rate.The 934 spring is 35 mm (1.37") longer than the 930 spring.
The 930 is listed as a XJ or ZJ I-6 spring and the 934 is listed as a ZJ V-8 spring but is also used on the XJ. the 934 should give about 2.5in lift.
Tera 4" TJ coils give 4.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate , 20.25" tall unloaded
Tera 3" TJ coils give 3.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 170 lb/in rate
RE 4.5in ZJ coils are 240 lb/in. give 6"-6.25" of lift on an XJ 22" tall unloaded
RE 5.5XJ coils are 4.5ZJ coils.
Rusty's 6.5" 22" long, 12 wraps of 5/16" stock
Rusty's 4.5" coils give 5" of lift and have a 150 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded
Rustys 3" coils give 3" and have 150 lb/in rate.
Rancho 3" coils, at least the old coils give about 2 1/4" of lift on an XJ and have a very high 235 lb/in rate.
rockkrawler 6.5" are 165 lbs/in
SJ 3" ZJ coils 218 lbs/in
SJ 6in XJ RR coil is 13 coils and same height and thickness as the RE ZJ4.5in XJ5.5in coil.

Any thing SUA will give some lift SOA...
LEAFS:
Mazda rear (?? year) 52" 26.5" 25.5" 2.36" SUA
85 S-10 rear 54" 26" 27" 2.50" SUA
83 Ford Ranger 2wd rear 57" 25.5" 31.5" 2.50" SUA
87-95 dakota Dakota rears 2.5" wide use Xj main leaf and Dakota leafs net 3.5inlift

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
go with front RE 4.5" coild for a ZJ. and youll get a nice amount of lift. more then enough to fit 35's. and moving your axle forward is no big deal. i have the same front end as you (well very close) and mine is move forward 2" i almost have to relocate my front sway bar and the stock front skid plate will have to be removed or trimmed to clear the stearing.

·
Banned
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont really like the idea of just moving the axle brackets back 2".... Seems like it would add a lot more stress to the brackets, Resulting in failure???

My old jeep had 4.5" springs in it and it rubbed 34's Like hell Even with sawzall wrok..
This one i would like to flex a little more without the tire hitting the wheel well and binding up, And stop spinning..

Thanks for all the comments, Looks like the RE's are the way to go??

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
rock crawler 7" front ZJ coils??? they are very soft and flex good but sag .

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
Run RE ZJ 4.5" coils and build new coil buckets on the axle centered over the tube. If you look at them now they are hanging off the front of the axle. By centering them on the tube and pushing the axle forward you keep the coil position the same. You can push the axle forward by using longer arms. I've got RE ZJ 4.5" coils with my own conglomeration of parts making up a long arm system and a Tera 50 axle. I can stuff 35 BFG MTs nicely, although I set it up to droop more than stuff so I wouldn't have to get into modifying the inner fenders. My axle is 63" wide however, which may be why I don't rub as bad as most on stock axles.

Also, when you push the axle forward and center the coil buckets you'll be looking for a place to mount your shocks. You can either build a bracket off the back of the tube above the LCA mount, or put some tabs on your LCAs and mount the shock to the arms(this is what I did).

Ary

·
Banned
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, Thats a good idea...
How does mounting the shock on the LCA effect the damping of the shock??Do you run a stiffer shock?

Also, What do you guys think about just going leaves up front?? Just pondering idea's??
It seems alot easier, As far as moving the axle forward, Steering, and the fact that you could just bolt in a waggy 44....

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You need to do more research, this topic has been covered a TON. There are plenty of people running both setups. I highly suggest you go read NAXJA.

·
Banned
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know i need to do more research, But i hate having to look anywhere but pirate...

Besides, Maybe this thread will help other's down the road?? It's already pretty informative...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if you set up a radius arm set up with one upper then from my experience, i'v built a few of these, it is alot easier to do then leafs. and way more adjustable for futur plans. EI biger tires. streatching the wheel base and so on.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
OrygunXJ said:
i would get the RE 7.5 inch coils if you think you really need that much lift to clear 35's.

But he doesn't need that much lift.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts