Pirate 4x4 banner

401 - 420 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
So me and a couple buddies are abandoning the wives and flying down from British Columbia, Vancouver Island to LAX. Hopping in a Cruise America MH on Wednesday in Carson and heading to the lake bed. So excited! Been wanting to go for years, it's finally working out this time. Leaving HT early Saturday, to where I'm not sure yet. (We have the RV until...and fly out on Monday.

So I just read this thread, here are some basic things I noted that were suggested to bring, or consider:

Chap stick (a few)
Baby wipes (lots)
Binoculars (good ones)
Goggles/eye protection from blowing sand
Dust mask possibly?
Watch for rattle snakes

If anyone has anymore tips or things that they do to make the trip a little more comfortable I'd love to add it to the list/suitcase.

Also, any suggestions as to where or what we should do from Saturday until Monday? I've been to DL/Universal etc a few times. This'll be the first time I'll have ever been in a desert. Looking forward to it! I'll be the guy drinking real beer (over 5%) and saying EH?! all the time. :flipoff2:

EDIT: Oh, and I read there was a "Canadian campground/area"? Is there something like that again this year? I like to be near beer eh

As another Canadian from Vancouver Island.....who are you? haha

Your plan sounds good, with only the RV expect to do a lot of walking since its a town of 50k+ people and theres a lot going on.
Baby wipes are awesome to wipe your face and hands down from the dust.
Goggles and sunglasses are nice.
Dust mask is overkill but a bandanna can help.
I havent seen any snakes yet and I'm climbing all over the rocks in the crazy places that not too many people go. Snakes are on my mind but I'm not concerned about them at all.

Yes there is always a camp Canada, they will have a flag (and I'm sure some of them are reading this thread) no idea where they will be camped since it kind of depends on where you show up and what room there is. They will be out there tho.
There is also 4-5 Canadian teams in the pits, we don't fly flags but if you look up the pit assignments and the team numbers from the U4 site you can
figure out where everyone is (I do not believe they have be released yet)

I have to check the dates but last year the Best in the Desert Parker 425 was on the Saturday after KOH and it was only a 2hr drive to Parker from Hammertown so we went and checked it out, was well worth it before driving back to Palm Springs before flying out on Sunday.

I will be staying in a hotel with Team #312 Brinkfab Co-Dawg and you can find me usually with #312 and #4487 pits

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
First time going to King of the Hammers, flying into vegas, have an rv reserved, plane tickets bought, all the good stuff. But running into 1 issue, you can rent an rv at 22, but can't actually rent a 4wd vehicle. Are there any places to get a 4wd, or a rzr, or even someone from here that isn't going and wouldn't mind renting out their buggy to do some wheeling? I've seen rzr rentals, but $350 a day isn't exactly affordable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im planning on Leaving from Illinois any time after the 1st of Feb to be there by the 5th. Leave for home on the 12th. Have room to sleep 3 other guys plus my self. I will be taking the first Yota on the trailer and a quad on the semi. Who wants to come with?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm heading out there on Jan 22nd, as I have a few stops to make before actually showing up, also taking my time heading back, but...

If anyone from the New England area needs a bike brought out, enduro/dirt bike/etc. I have room for 2 more in my enclosed trailer.

$300 round trip to KOH and back.
Includes room for :
• your bike,
• a suitcase - so you have to bring less on the plane
• a gas can - which I'll fill before showing up
• a spare tire/wheel

Also, I'll be able to bring a set of tires back with me if someone wants that done.
Everything has to be set up and places on the trailer paid for by Christmas.
Plenty of references if needed.

Not a junk trailer, would be locked & safe during travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,903 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do I need an ORV sticker on my 4400 car? for pre-running, tuning, etc? that week.
Technically, anything that is not highway registered needs an OHV sticker to be used out there, including 4400 cars.

If you have an OHV sticker/registration from your home state, it works fine in California. There are a handful of states that do not issue OHV stickers/registration, and if you come from one of those you need to purchase a california non resident OHV permit.

More info here:
OHMVR Frequently Asked Questions

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Anybody have an open pit crew spot? I'm heading down for the week and figured I'd offer to help in the pits. Auto Tech/Welder/Fab

I don't have the budget to race my buggy but I'm always happy to lend a hand helping someone stay in the race.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I will be going and meeting up with some fellow CORVA members. If you are going in a RV, invest in a small, solar panel to keep the RV accessories battery charged. I had my furnace for the first night, but ran my RV battery down and didn't have enough juice to ignite the furnace the next night, and it was cold! I didn't want to be a tool and run my generator all night. A cold RV beats a tent any day, but lessons learned and I no longer have problems with low batteries. Come out and enjoy the King of the Hammers experience, it is worth the trip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok. I'm pretty much loaded up, have room for one more dirt bike from the New England area if anyone needs.
Also, I'm leaving early to search for 404 portal axels/axle boxes, if anyone has any, please lmk. Looking to purchase a few on the drive (if price and location is right).
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can someone please post up some advice regarding trail running at KOH that week.
I'd love to get an idea of whats possible given all of the racing going on.

Not too keen on running them at night as I'd prefer to be having some :beer: in front of a big ass fire :D

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Can someone please post up some advice regarding trail running at KOH that week.
I'd love to get an idea of whats possible given all of the racing going on.

Not too keen on running them at night as I'd prefer to be having some :beer: in front of a big ass fire :D
You can run any trail that is NOT being used that day AND is able to be accessed without going on race course or going into closed areas. I personally would add, please do not do night runs on trails that will be used the next day. A broken rig blocking a trail is NO fun for anyone race day.

Once the course is released on Friday 2/3/17 you will know what trails are being used.

The Hammertown short course area will be closed every day.

Depending on the day you may have full, or almost full access. Remember that a lot of pre-running is going on and be safe, especially in the high speed desert sections.

If Crowbar is not being used then Crowbar, Shaft Canyon, and Riffle Canyon in the Soggy Dry Lake area would be available everyday. These trails are about 30 to 45 min west of Hammertown via dirt roads, depending on which road you take and how fast you can go in the whoops.

Cougar Buttes would also make a nice day trip to play on the rocks there. CB is about 1 to 1.5 hours west of Hammertown via dirt roads, depending on which road you take and how fast you can go in the whoops.

Friday 2/3 All trails open. Pre-running begins.
Saturday 2/4 daytime is OK but there will be a KOM night race. Pre-running.
Sunday 2/5 KOM race, many trails will be used. Limited pre-running.
Monday 2/6 All trails open except Backdoor, which will be used that evening for the Shootout. Pre-running.
Tuesday 2/7 All trails open. Pre-running. Day 1 of Qualifier/LCQ.
Wednesday 2/8 UTV race. Day 2 of Qualifier/LCQ.
Thursday 2/9 EMC race.
Friday 2/10 KOH race.
Saturday 2/11 All trails open, event is over.

CartoTracks will be selling course maps that run on your smart phone again this year. That is a great way to make sure that you are not on course.

Have fun! :smokin:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Also, note the direction of the race course thru some of the trails. If possible, if you run the trails in the same direction can reduce contention during folks doing pre-running. Sucks being a trail plug whichever way you're going, but leads to fewer surprises with someone coming around a corner in your face.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Anybody have an open pit crew spot? I'm heading down for the week and figured I'd offer to help in the pits. Auto Tech/Welder/Fab

I don't have the budget to race my buggy but I'm always happy to lend a hand helping someone stay in the race.
PM me. I'd love to have another hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can run any trail that is NOT being used that day AND is able to be accessed without going on race course or going into closed areas. I personally would add, please do not do night runs on trails that will be used the next day. A broken rig blocking a trail is NO fun for anyone race day.

Once the course is released on Friday 2/3/17 you will know what trails are being used.

The Hammertown short course area will be closed every day.

Depending on the day you may have full, or almost full access. Remember that a lot of pre-running is going on and be safe, especially in the high speed desert sections.

If Crowbar is not being used then Crowbar, Shaft Canyon, and Riffle Canyon in the Soggy Dry Lake area would be available everyday. These trails are about 30 to 45 min west of Hammertown via dirt roads, depending on which road you take and how fast you can go in the whoops.

Cougar Buttes would also make a nice day trip to play on the rocks there. CB is about 1 to 1.5 hours west of Hammertown via dirt roads, depending on which road you take and how fast you can go in the whoops.

Friday 2/3 All trails open. Pre-running begins.
Saturday 2/4 daytime is OK but there will be a KOM night race. Pre-running.
Sunday 2/5 KOM race, many trails will be used. Limited pre-running.
Monday 2/6 All trails open except Backdoor, which will be used that evening for the Shootout. Pre-running.
Tuesday 2/7 All trails open. Pre-running. Day 1 of Qualifier/LCQ.
Wednesday 2/8 UTV race. Day 2 of Qualifier/LCQ.
Thursday 2/9 EMC race.
Friday 2/10 KOH race.
Saturday 2/11 All trails open, event is over.

CartoTracks will be selling course maps that run on your smart phone again this year. That is a great way to make sure that you are not on course.

Have fun! :smokin:
thanks turtletruck

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
Buddy of mine is flying into LAX on Feb 6th and looking for a ride to the lakebed. Anyone?

401 - 420 of 501 Posts