Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Please bring more odd ball parts.
Any chance that us little guy's can get the vendors list?
It would be nice to pre-purchase little parts with no shipping.

I know it is a little late, but, I know people would buy certain "water containers", from the Canadian's again.

I ass-ume most parts vendors are here on Pirate, but they don't say, "I am at vendor spot X". My website is X, pm for Pirate price, discounted shipping and no sales tax. (If out of State)

Honestly, I do not know your bottom line, but fuck knock (sp) a dollar of your price and with no shipping, equals a win for everyone.

I have a good idea who will be there with what, as most Pirates do, but I guess about 5,000, 15,000 + people don't.
Check the map on the Ultra4 web site. That will give you a good idea who's going to be there.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
remember folks,, this is DESERT and a dry lake bed---- 'camping' can be done anywhere as long as you are not in 'town' or on the course----
the closer to town the more noise and possible dust---
i started in a camper shell on my toyota pick-up, then camper on my chebby p/u (no potty), and for the past few years i rent a mo-home (size depends on number of guests), i ALWAYS bring home extra food and usually an ice chest with extra drinks---- the venders and food folks downtown get a lot of my business. Last year there were some GOOD ribs !!
i would suggest bringing an umbrella---- good for 'R' and great for SUN !

what you want to bring is really up to you and your needs/wants---- just think of what you would need to support yourself for a week and go from there !

as Adam said to me his first time out-- "never in my life have i been able to see so far"--- it 'open' desert and there is NOTHING there except what we put there !! NO TREES and 1 bush---- most cell phones will work from there, but if you have trouble getting out--- call from the area of the 'phone bush' and it will work !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
3. Do NOT shop at a truck stop for her birthday gifts on the way to KOH (again) :homer:
4. Bring firewood.
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult. you may go home with some ( never have) but it is easier than driving to get more.

That is the recipe for a happy KOH experiance.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Check the map on the Ultra4 web site. That will give you a good idea who's going to be there.
That's where I have been looking. Direct link?
1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
3. Do NOT shop at a truck stop for her birthday gifts on the way to KOH (again) :homer:
4. Bring firewood. No pallets. Dimensional lumber might get you a "close inspection".
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult. <This. you may go home with some ( never have) but it is easier than driving to get more.

The wait is killing me.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Mud--- brought up a good point !!!!! you can bring all the firewood you want---- no pallets AND NOTHING WITH nails !!!!!! THERE IS A FIRE PIT DOWNTOWN, BUT LATE EVENINGS, GETS A BIT CROWDED. No restrictions on fire-- except NO NAILS !!! -- just think of the firepit you would drive thru next year-- want nails ????
i think the town went thru 40 chords of wood last year in the town firepit----wood IS for sale if you don't bring enough.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but, what's the deal with wheeling during the week? Obviously stay off any routes used for racing.
Is there a way of finding out what trails are being used, what day, as to stay out of the way of competitors.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but, what's the deal with wheeling during the week? Obviously stay off any routes used for racing.
Is there a way of finding out what trails are being used, what day, as to stay out of the way of competitors.
Yes, all of your questions have been covered elsewhere, in links above, many times. I will answer them though, to keep someone else from asking again.

-All trails are open during race week, except on race days.

-The course will be released on Fri 2/1/13. Buy a poster or a program, they will have the main race course and probably the other courses as well, except for KOM, which is not announced ahead of time.

-The full schedule of events is here: 2013 KOH Week Schedule | Ultra4Racing.com

Have a great time, be safe, and leave Johnson Valley cleaner than you found it!

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,704 Posts
What Mark said, so you know in detail.

In general, don't plan on running any of the popular trails on Sunday, Thursday, or Friday.
Based on last year, don't plan on running Chocolate Thunder or the general vicinity during qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday; the rest should be open. DO plan to run the trails in the race direction as competitors will be pre-running.

I only get to the Hammers during KOH as well. Volunteering on race days, so I try to maximize my trail running time the rest of the week. Semi-busy early in the week, and a complete zoo later in the week.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
What Mark said, so you know in detail.

In general, don't plan on running any of the popular trails on Sunday, Thursday, or Friday.
Based on last year, don't plan on running Chocolate Thunder or the general vicinity during qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday; the rest should be open. DO plan to run the trails in the race direction as competitors will be pre-running.

I only get to the Hammers during KOH as well. Volunteering on race days, so I try to maximize my trail running time the rest of the week. Semi-busy early in the week, and a complete zoo later in the week.
Try Backdoor after hours in the dark for the ultimate wheeling experience! At least once a year someone comes in butt hurt and covered in beer saying they flipped their junk and all the "locals" are harassing them..."help me!"

The first year I fell for this. Only issue is they aren't locals and are just having fun. Be their entertainment!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Map

Try Backdoor after hours in the dark for the ultimate wheeling experience! At least once a year someone comes in butt hurt and covered in beer saying they flipped their junk and all the "locals" are harassing them..."help me!"

The first year I fell for this. Only issue is they aren't locals and are just having fun. Be their entertainment!

Guilty! It's the peanut gallery!

That's where I have been looking. Direct link?

The wait is killing me.
2013 Hammertown Map and Updates From Dave Cole | Ultra4Racing.com

Try that one.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im planning on coming to KOH this year for the first time. I will most likely be tent camping. My biggest question is, will my mostly stock 08 F250 be able to get me to most/ best spectator spots. My jimmy wont be 100% trail ready by then and I would rather not pay the extra in fuel towing it all the way from south texas.lol This thread has alot of good info and answered most of my questions.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Im planning on coming to KOH this year for the first time. I will most likely be tent camping. My biggest question is, will my mostly stock 08 F250 be able to get me to most/ best spectator spots. My jimmy wont be 100% trail ready by then and I would rather not pay the extra in fuel towing it all the way from south texas.lol This thread has alot of good info and answered most of my questions.
x2
I'm hoping my stock 4x4 hemi Jeep Commander will get my by this year as my tj is under the knife
A stock 4x4 will make it to all the official spectator areas. A 2WD anything will make it to Hammertown easily and most spectator areas, if you want to abuse it a little. The only issue might be sand and ground clearance in certain areas, but there will be several thousand people around that would probably be happy to pull you out after they laugh at you some. :D

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Planning on rolling in on Mon. or Tue. First time, camp location is my question. Would like to park the RV near other PBB folks who like to drink around the fire in the evening W#@&% permitting. Would like to be close enough to Hammertown to watch and possibly assist teams in race prep. My 21 year old son and I are handy with tools but would be happy just to fetch stuff and hold lights, tools, beer, parts, our comments, etc if needed. Any suggestions for camping site complete with road directions and names of neighbors? We will be in a 25-28 ft MH towing jeep on trailer.
GL with that. Usually showing up in the middle of the night and driving around for about 30 min. will find you the best spot.. :laughing:

1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
4. Bring firewood.
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult.

#5 is surprisingly accurate.

It is weird that some of the "Locals" have Canadian accents. :homer:

41 - 60 of 501 Posts