Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1947 CJ2A Willys Jeep

Frame is perfect and the tub is a repro, has some rust on the windshield frame she said and the carb needs to be cleaned from sitting. How am I doing for $6500 on this? Want it to be a driver,newer cage some twisted stitch seats etc....

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
1947 CJ2A Willys Jeep

Frame is perfect and the tub is a repro, has some rust on the windshield frame she said and the carb needs to be cleaned from sitting. How am I doing for $6500 on this? Want it to be a driver,newer cage some twisted stitch seats etc....

Thanks in advance
-I would be nervous about the 3spd and V8.
-The exhaust outside the frame isn't the best
-No shroud on the fan, questionable cooling system
-The engine is back far enough that getting the distributor out would be a big pain in the rear.
-It looks like maybe a D44 rear, but probably has 2pc axles.
-passenger fender modded for a battery?

It looks nice and clean. The rust is limited and in your area that is probably worth a lot. It's hard to put a dollar value on things. I know with mine, even though it looks like junk, I couldn't sell it for anywhere near that price.

I think you will end up having to redo a few things but it is probably a decent base. It will all depend on how much you want to use it, especially off road.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I like it!

I agree with Mieser on the 3 speed. But I have see T-90's survive with a modest tire size and a modest right foot.

Show up with a trailer and a stack of cash. I bet you get it for $5500-6000.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks like all the hard work is done. Nice find. I say go for it.
It definitely looks very clean thank you!

-I would be nervous about the 3spd and V8.
-The exhaust outside the frame isn't the best
-No shroud on the fan, questionable cooling system
-The engine is back far enough that getting the distributor out would be a big pain in the rear.
-It looks like maybe a D44 rear, but probably has 2pc axles.
-passenger fender modded for a battery?

It looks nice and clean. The rust is limited and in your area that is probably worth a lot. It's hard to put a dollar value on things. I know with mine, even though it looks like junk, I couldn't sell it for anywhere near that price.

I think you will end up having to redo a few things but it is probably a decent base. It will all depend on how much you want to use it, especially off road.
The rust is a HUGE factor in my area,everything I look at is 3-4 k and needs a tub with the original drivetrain.

-I plan to maybe mildly wheel but I have a built buggy for wheeling,
-This will be pavement/dirt road pounder mainly.
-I did ask her about the cooling and she said it stays at 200 but I agree I will need to make a shroud and possibly larger radiator.
- looked like a dana 44 to me in the pic as well.
- she said the battery was relocated to a box built in to the tub in the rear and very easily accessible?
- I am worried about the trans to, was looking at possible upgrades already but if I kept it I would think of putting an over drive in for more top end. I want it to be tough and very reliable

I like it!

I agree with Mieser on the 3 speed. But I have see T-90's survive with a modest tire size and a modest right foot.

Thanks Andy! I was going to look you up and get your opinion as well, I wheeled Mabel with you recently I had the new buggy with the double B.
She did tell me not to make the trip with out $6500 so I think that is bottom dollar

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what's the consensus is it worth the $6500 or should I keep looking? I definitely don't mind working on it etc but I want a solid base that's not rotted and it seems to have a lot of upgrades I would do to begin with

Thanks for all the help to!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Go check it out, nothing to lose but time and fuel. There seem to be a lot of old jeeps out there. I always spot them in used car lots and gas stations in that area. Does it have a glass tub? Or is that one of the old ACME bodies? Looks like it may have an MB style under seat tank. Check on the axle ratios, you may need an OD.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Go check it out, nothing to lose but time and fuel. There seem to be a lot of old jeeps out there. I always spot them in used car lots and gas stations in that area. Does it have a glass tub? Or is that one of the old ACME bodies? Looks like it may have an MB style under seat tank. Check on the axle ratios, you may need an OD.
The tank has been moved behind the rear axle.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am planning to head down early Saturday really wish wasn't on Long Island I know traffic is a nightmare.

It is an all steel tub not sure on the brand, it has a relocated gas tank in the back under the tub. She did say 45 is about top speed so assume gear ratio is in the 5.?? I have been researching upgrades like I already own it:shaking: looking for an OD and probably a SM465 for the trans

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I am planning to head down early Saturday really wish wasn't on Long Island I know traffic is a nightmare.

It is an all steel tub not sure on the brand, it has a relocated gas tank in the back under the tub. She did say 45 is about top speed so assume gear ratio is in the 5.?? I have been researching upgrades like I already own it:shaking: looking for an OD and probably a SM465 for the trans
Meh...early Saturday, you'll be fine. Just stay out of the way of my trucks! We got freight to move. :D:D

Check it out. If it has good bones and you like it, I'd say its a fair price. The work done is worth double the ask price.

If you do get it - just drive it. Don't spin a wrench if possible until the summer is over and you can really assess what direction you like to take it. It looks like a really nice piece.

Have you tried talking to Todd at Endangered Species? He sometimes has real quality rigs for sale. If it doesn't work out on LI, maybe check with him.

I'd love to check it out if you end up with it.

Oh and if stock....5:38 axle ratio.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meh...early Saturday, you'll be fine. Just stay out of the way of my trucks! We got freight to move. :D:D

Check it out. If it has good bones and you like it, I'd say its a fair price. The work done is worth double the ask price.

If you do get it - just drive it. Don't spin a wrench if possible until the summer is over and you can really assess what direction you like to take it. It looks like a really nice piece.

Have you tried talking to Todd at Endangered Species? He sometimes has real quality rigs for sale. If it doesn't work out on LI, maybe check with him.

I'd love to check it out if you end up with it.

Oh and if stock....5:38 axle ratio.
Cool we are leaving 5:30-6:00 from here so that should put me there around 9:00 I'll stay out of your trucks way:D, It really caught my eye because of how clean it appears to be and well Ive always liked/wanted a small block Willys, I've only ever had a 53 CJ3B and it was rotted bad with a stock very tired drivetrain.

I agree with just slapping a plate on it and driving it for a little while, really decide what I would like to do.

I never even thought of Endangered Species, I may give him a call either way to see what he has, I havent been to his shop for close to 10 years when I bought a set of Ground Hawgs off him:laughing:

I will definitely look you up if I come home with it, Thanks!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Change the tranny and definitely the gears if you're planning to drive it on the streets. 45 mph is VERY optimistic, maybe at redline lol. Stock, they like to cruise in the low 30's.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Change the tranny and definitely the gears if you're planning to drive it on the streets. 45 mph is VERY optimistic, maybe at redline lol. Stock, they like to cruise in the low 30's.
It's got a little bit larger tire on it.....31s?

5.38s are deep, but with the 35s mine will do 55-60 all day long without an overdrive. I would say 45 is reasonable with that engine and tire combo.

I have a set of 4.30/4.27 gears for a D44, D30, and D25 or D27 if anyone with a stock mod wants taller road gears.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Very nice Jeep although I didnt come home with it...Was almost to nice for what I want to do with a willys. I'd really like to find one in the $2500 range and make the upgrades I want with out feeling bad etc... Not off the table completely yet though just want to fish a little while longer

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heading out Sunday AM to look at another candidate which appears to be exactly what I want and in the price range I can make the necessary upgrades I want anyway

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I like it!

I immediately thought 5500.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So I went to look at the Willys this AM, Was 250 Miles one way and when I got there I immediately knew the one I was looking at had a lot of bondo/fiberglass and a badly hacked together rear panel that wasn't shown in the ad :shaking:

That point I wasn't that happy but then I see what appears to be a Military tub in great Shape and had to really battle with him to sell it but I got it.

Plan is to build a frame and basically scratch build this around this tub

1 - 20 of 22 Posts