Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are plenty of existing threads in general4x4 about what automotive paint to use; but what about primers? What brand(s) do you prefer for a budget paintjob? It doesn't need to be a show quality paintjob for a DD/weekend trail truck; but it might as well look decent if I'm going to spend the time. I have been using rattle can for years to cover up tree scrapes/etc and its all sun faded and about 5 different shades of red. My plan is to have some PPG mixed up to match the OEM paint color. No experience painting a vehicle with anything but rattlecan. I ordered one of the famed HF purple spray guns and have been reading all of the associated threads about setting it up. I'm going to use my POS yardwork truck as a practice piece before doing the real thing.:laughing:
________
MARIJUANA SATIVA

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was in the same situation.

I used duplicolor spray cans from vatozone. I used the high build formula and it worked great. I also used Ebay paint and the spray gun from Harbor Freight. I have less then $150 in my paint job and it came out great.

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have less then $150 in my paint job and it came out great.
Any pics? What kind of prep work did you do? Which paint was it on ebay and how well is it holding up to UV rays? The only thing steering me away from farm implement paint/etc is their poor resistance to UV damage. The spray paint I have been using looks faded after a few months of sunlight.
________
Avandia sickness

·
Registered
595 Posts
as for primer don't put primer over bare metal, primer doesn't stick to metal, you need to put an epoxy sealer down first then paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do paint and body for a living,so heres a little advise.You asked the right question, primer and prep are the most important.I could go on for days,but if able $$ try to stay with a ureathan primer,your geting PPG paint try to get the same PPG grade primer if possable. Make sure you remove all you rattlecan from your truck before you prime it ureathan is pretty hot and will soften most cheap products causing lots of problems.

·
Registered
595 Posts
absolutely not, primer is meant to fill scratches , it is not meant for adhesion, a few that are meant for adhesion are special types of primers, epoxy primer, self etching primer, actually paint will stick to bare metal better than regular primer{don't do that either} and some primers are porous{it will not stop rust} for the do it yourselfer- sand entire vehicle with 280-320 grit paper then apply an epoxy primer wait a few minutes they apply the paint{must be compatible with epoxy} not to confuse you but some brands call their epoxy a primer and some call it a sealer, I use PPG Omni {good and low price}

·
Registered
614 Posts
From the sounds of it you want to do this cheap, good and easy. If you want to use rattle can get an etch primer for your bare metal. You'll be fine with that. Lots of body shops use it on small spot jobs, quick, easy and works. My recommendation for a good in-expensive etch would be the Martin Seniour from NAPA. It's the exact same thing as Sherwin Williams automotive paint but much cheaper.

If you really want to go to town with your primer just stay PPG, you can't go wrong with anything PPG. Well except the Omni crap. One of my shops was using their clear on rental cars and it would die back and yellow. This isn't happening in years, this is happening in months. Your best option for a good clear for the money is the Tran-star Euro clear. This will lay out nice and flat, dry quick (less dirt), and comes out and stays really clear. A lot of my painters compare it to the good PPG clear. I had a friend try it for side jobs and he loves it now. Sometimes the Tran-star clear is labeled under just Euro clear.

Omni is also marketed at the PPG only stores as Shopline. Stay away from that no matter what the store tells you. My PPG rep finally talked me out of it because I wouldn't take his word that it was just relabeled Omni.

IN the end the proper steps and taking your time will get you what your looking for without breaking the bank.

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sounds like I need to rethink my approach. I thought it would be best to strip everything to bare metal; but sounds like I just strip the areas I have to (ie. rusty) and rough up the existing surface everywhere else.

Definitely would rather spray gun it than rattlecan it if I can get etching primer in either. So new approach:

Take down rusty spots to bare metal and fix, rough up the rest of it. Prime/seal with etching primer. Several coats of color, wet sand, cover in clear. Sound about right?
________
Having sex

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Next question while I'm thinking of it. I have ruled out farm implement paint because I've read bad things about its UV stability. My truck is red and parked outside all the time; so I don't want it fading to pink a year later. Would it be possible to use the farm paint for its cheapness/toughness, then cover it with a quality UV stable clear coat?
________
Back &Amp; Spinal Problems Advice

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I use PPG Omni {good and low price}
Thats what I use on my junk too. Mine is base/ clear but it sticks very well, is cheap, and looks great to boot.

I use whatever filler primer I can find in a rattle can, then paint it up.

After 5 years and lots of mud it still looks nice

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm no expert (except 9 months before I was born...) but my son and I painted his Scout. We went the the local Paint Mart and told them what we were doing... We used a sealer primer, it seals out the moisture. This way if you don't get to painting the thing for a while no problem (good thing). It has held up for years... Took paint great (where we got to it...)
Check out you local auto paint supply store and ask around...

·
Registered
595 Posts
don't try the clear over farm paint, if you have to go cheap find a dealer that sells Nason or Dupont, I'm not a fan of either but have used them quite a bit, what you'll want is Nason Ful-thane single stage, its real durable easy to spray and pretty cheap, just remember to use a etching primer or epoxy sealer under it, stay away from clear coat its not gonna benefit you with a solid color, as for uv fade red is the worst but there is a orange truck that I sprayed about 5 years ago and it still looks good today, you're gonna get alot of opinions about brand, every painter will tell you something different ,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts