Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hooked when I was at Northstar this week doing the DH. I am an old BMX'r and am just familiar with GT,Robinson,etc...so I dont know the quality DH bikes. Im looking for something used in the 1000-2000 price range with a rear cantilever suspension. Any info or pointing to a good source of info would be very appreciative.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you're looking for something with a Cantilever-Beam suspension, the only ones that I know of are the Rocky Mountain RM series bikes. In the past there have been RM6 (what I have), RM7, RM9 and now an RMX. If you watch MTBR or Ebay, you can pretty likely find one in your price range.

Other quality rigs to look for, are Santa Cruz (Bullet, Super 8), Specialized (Big Hit), Trek (Diesel), Kona (stinky, stab) and several others. With a 2 grand budget, you can find a pretty pimp sled used. Do some looking, and ride as many different ones as you can. Downhilling is expensive, so you want to decide what you like before dropping the coin on new parts.

My plan in the coming months (want it ready by the spring season) is to build up a Santa Cruz VP Free, put on a Marzocchi 888, some Atomlab wheels, and the rest of the parts from my RM6 (which goes on the sale block pretty soon)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try looking at www.nsmb.com, you will see a lot of info on DH and Freeriding and they have a classified section to give you an idea about prices. Just be warned the prices are in Cdn and bikes up here are generally cheaper.

If you are looking at Rockies just be aware that RM6's & 7's are not great for people over 150lbs. but the RMX is much better.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I really like my Specialized Big Hit, i have a white bros front fork, and the thing is a blast to ride. i just saw one on ebay go for 800 bucks for the whole bike. you can also get a avy rear shock / linkage set up to give it 9" of rear travel :D
Shane

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got a Giant Ac1 that is a good freeride/DH starter with a marz. JR T fork that I might let go for like $950 if your interested. If not I'll keep it and do more big stair gaps :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Groundwork said:
I've got a Giant Ac1 that is a good freeride/DH starter with a marz. JR T fork that I might let go for like $950 if your interested. If not I'll keep it and do more big stair gaps :D
Giant AC's aren't approved for a triple clamp fork like your JR.T and doing stair gaps will only expedite the inevitable snapping of your headtube...

be careful...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Giant AC's aren't approved for a triple clamp fork like your JR.T and doing stair gaps will only expedite the inevitable snapping of your headtube...

be careful...

Not true, '03 and newer AC frames have forged headtubes and are approved for triple crown forks. (I've had both an '02 and '03) I'd go for a beefier frame though if DH is your game, you can buy a well-built used Bullit for around $1,500. My freeride rig is a Foes Fly, and it puts the flexy AC frame to shame. The AC is a good heavy-XC / light-freeride bike, but that's about it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Drew Persson said:
Not true, '03 and newer AC frames have forged headtubes and are approved for triple crown forks. (I've had both an '02 and '03) I'd go for a beefier frame though if DH is your game, you can buy a well-built used Bullit for around $1,500. My freeride rig is a Foes Fly, and it puts the flexy AC frame to shame. The AC is a good heavy-XC / light-freeride bike, but that's about it.
Yes Drew, you are correct but your statement is only as true as mine, we are both right and wrong at the same time.

The '04 AC comes with a Sherman slider 6" triple so it's fairly obvious that it is approved for that. However as you said the earlier models were not. I think it a fair assumption that if he is selling the bike for under a grand that is at least a few years old. Also knowing the fork he has on it (JR.T) didn't come OEM on it, to the best of my knowledge the only AC ever to come from the factory with a triple is this years AC1. There are hundreds of AC owners running around out there with triple's on non-approved frames and I 'd be willing to bet this is another one of 'em. I have friends in Giants warranty dept. and this kinda stuff is a nightmare for them and the unsuspecting people who buy used bikes with improper equipment on them only to rip the head tube off and find they have no warranty!

·
Registered
375 Posts
my vote goes for the intense M1. A little out of your budget though. My shop is going to be putting a couple used M1's up on ebay and they might sell for less than $2000. The one that is going up soon will probaly reach high 2k's but the next one has had some hard use and does not look so pretty any more will go for less than 2k. Also check out Specelizeds 2005 line up. I have only see pics and no prices but thier Demo line up looks sick. The Demo bike rides awesome too. This years regular Demo 9 can even be pedaled up moderate climbs. Sorry none of these are cantilever beam bikes but 4 liks bikes ride alot better and are alot faster. Just look at race results and who is riding what. The intense M1 is the winingest (real word?)bike ever. Look closely at some racers bikes too some ride M1's with other stickers on them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Best DH/freeride bikes IMO are Intense M1, Bighit DH or Norco Shore or team dh. They all use the same fully active susp. design and are ultra smooth with no chain torque/pedal feedback like you get from the SC Bullet/super8 style. The SC VP susp. rocks but will be a bit pricey.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are some good used DH bikes for sale on http://www.pinkbike.com/. Mostly Canadian, but lisitings in the US are there too.

Specialized BIGHIT is decent entry level DH bike. A little less expensive is the ENDURO, but it is more of a freeride bike. Kona, Rocky Mountain & Norco all make nice, fairly affordable bikes too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive been riding a Foes DHS for the last 4 years and have been very happy with it. No maintenence, nothing super special, but nothing ever has broken and it just does its job without any complaints. I see them for pretty damn cheap these days.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have had the Norco, Marin and now ride a Santa Cruiz Bullet. It may not be considered down hill bike to most but with 7and7 inches of travel I can stay with all my buddies at whistler on the DH specific bikes.

It would be hard for me to drop my front derailer and granny as we still ride up some days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would have to agree with those who suggested the Intense M1 bikes. My sister rides pro and gets a new ride every year. Some factory teams use Intense bikes with their paint job. The only bike that ever lasted her a whole season was an Intense.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My fav bike is the first gen Turner DHR (1999-2002).
I have a 2000 right now, and it's the perfect balance between fast and nimble and plush and big travel.
It accelerates like a rocket (like a bmx) and mine weighs just over 40 pounds...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look into Iron Horse as well. Uses specialized rear suspension with modified linkage for 8 inches. I have an 02 SGS Team with a 03 boxxer race and an 02 5th. Picked it up for 1400.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jou said:
Look into Iron Horse as well. Uses specialized rear suspension with modified linkage for 8 inches. I have an 02 SGS Team with a 03 boxxer race and an 02 5th. Picked it up for 1400.
excellent recommendation!

Iron Horse is always the best deal on a new bike. They have some radical new bikes for 2005, however I expect their prices to come up closer to most comparable bikes as well.

2005 Iron Horse Bikes Here

check here for killer deals on 2004 Iron Horse Bikes

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the input guys...I have been lurking at mtbreview as well to see whats going on and now have a better idea of what to look for. Im gonna buy this winter and wait for people to sale their "old stuff" and in the mean time upgrade my front end of my truck to LT.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts