Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've been riding a Giant Team DH for about a season now. It's pretty damned good. I rode it at whistler with no probs, and N* and junk. The only problem I've had so far is blowing up pivot bearins, but thats probably because I am at and unsmooth. :flipoff2: The rear suspension is awesome compared to a norco (or atleast the shore). The only thing I don't really like is the stand over height, I don't think I will be able to have kids when I am older :flipoff2:

·
Registered
363 Posts
77Blaza said:
thanks for all the input guys...I have been lurking at mtbreview as well to see whats going on and now have a better idea of what to look for. Im gonna buy this winter and wait for people to sale their "old stuff" and in the mean time upgrade my front end of my truck to LT.
That's a great way to do it. There will be some killer deals around then. I plan to sell my DH bike then as well, since I of course have to have an '05!

·
Registered
363 Posts
NitroRClover said:
I've been riding a Giant Team DH for about a season now. It's pretty damned good. I rode it at whistler with no probs, and N* and junk. The only problem I've had so far is blowing up pivot bearins, but thats probably because I am at and unsmooth. :flipoff2: The rear suspension is awesome compared to a norco (or atleast the shore). The only thing I don't really like is the stand over height, I don't think I will be able to have kids when I am older :flipoff2:
have you seen this?

'05 Giant DH Team.

way more stand-over clearance.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
SEAN_at_TLT said:
have you seen this?

'05 Giant DH Team.

way more stand-over clearance.
Looks niiiice, but Giant should have done that from the beginning IMO. BTW this is Greg (or ghettogt76 from RM, we rode at whistler).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Intense M1 or an RM7 is a bike I want to get my hands on. Another suggestion would be to build your own bike. Look for a frame and go from there. Get everything you want the first time. If you buy a complete bike, you'll end up changing out a lot of parts. Look at some Karpiel bikes. Jan Karpiel is a local to Northstar, even has a trail named after him. Check his bikes out at Karpiel.com. Definitely, check out www.mtbr.com for some used stuff and save some $$$.

Mike

·
Registered
363 Posts
dyogim said:
Intense M1 or an RM7 is a bike I want to get my hands on. Another suggestion would be to build your own bike. Look for a frame and go from there. Get everything you want the first time. If you buy a complete bike, you'll end up changing out a lot of parts. Look at some Karpiel bikes. Jan Karpiel is a local to Northstar, even has a trail named after him. Check his bikes out at Karpiel.com. Definitely, check out www.mtbr.com for some used stuff and save some $$$.

Mike
M1's have been the winningest DH bike in history, however for "Joe Public" I don't recommend them. They have low bottom brackets and a really slack head-tube angle. Which means the handling doesn't feel right until you are going Chris Kovarik fast (really god damn fast!) And the low BB gets hung up on rocks you encounter on trails (not so much on DH courses). They are also somewhat weak due to being light enough to race competitively on. They are great bikes but not worth the money and even if you buy used and save money, it will most likely eventually break and you will be screwed.

RM7's (IMO) are complete crap! They have one of the worst (highest) leverage ratios of any production bike ever. That means blown shocks left and right. Also the needle bearings in the main pivot have slop from the factory that only gets worse with time. Not to mention the swingarms break constantly. Total POS bike. The only reason people ever want them is beacuse Rocky has done a great job marketing the bike with lots of top pro freeriders on them. What you don't see is that those guys are on a new bike every photo shoot. The new Switch or the RMX are much better (cartridge bearings and reduced leverage ratios, etc) but there are still many better choices out there.

Karpiel is not a bad bike, just don't buy the older Disco Volante, they (like the RM7) had a whack leverage ratio. My only gripe with Karpiel is that the are shady. They take forever to get you your bike and they have constant financial problems that they try to hide. There are rumors as to them being out of business as we speak. Karpiel denies it but I know people who witnessed the Washoe Co. Sheriff evicting them and locking the doors. The official statement is that they moved to a new location. Who knows???

The bottom line is go with an everyday bike (not a dedicated race bike) that comes from a large scale reputable brand and you really can't go wrong. My recommendations are...

• Specialized
• Kona
• Iron Horse
• Giant
• Santa Cruz

There are plenty of others as well.

·
Registered
840 Posts
most awesome DH bike ive ridden is a balfa bb7. the thing is pretty heavy but it is an awesome downhill machine. its my buddys bike hes got a jr. t up front with hayes discs all around. thing just floats over everything, you hardly even need to pick a line with it. pretty damn expensive with all the parts but for DH you wont be dissapointed

·
Registered
363 Posts
The BB7 is a very sweet bike. It has super low center of gravity and burly construction. The only bummer is Balfa just went out of business. I believe the name and designs were acquired by another Canadian bike maker though. Hopefully we will see the bikes being produced again soon. If they disappear it would be a shame, they made great bikes! I really like their 2-Step DH also, it is more of a free-ride / light-duty DH bike that is three ring compatible I believe.

·
Registered
392 Posts
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Karpiel is not a bad bike, just don't buy the older Disco Volante, they (like the RM7) had a whack leverage ratio. My only gripe with Karpiel is that the are shady. They take forever to get you your bike and they have constant financial problems that they try to hide. There are rumors as to them being out of business as we speak. Karpiel denies it but I know people who witnessed the Washoe Co. Sheriff evicting them and locking the doors. The official statement is that they moved to a new location. Who knows???
My housemate has a new Disco Volante, and I have heard everything you are saying about Mr. Karpiel. My housemate's bike came shipped late while we were needing it for Sea Otter, well it was sent to him with no housing guides/housing braze-ons on the rear triangle. While it isn't a huge deal, it still sucks for an expensive "custom" frame. And now the guy is running from the cops, so not much left of customer service and warranty work.

Too bad because the bike rocks. It eats Northstar up.

I've got an old Bullitt with a Super-T and I can keep up with all my buddies, but the brake-jack and pedal response of the rear suspension is tough in the rough stuff. For Freeride and light Dh stuff, the bullitt is a good compromise.

Good luck with your purchase

21 - 33 of 33 Posts