Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 10yr old steel Jamis that was decent for its day. I think it has an elastomer Rock Shox 21 fork with about 1.5" of travel. This is nice for taking the edge of big hits, but doesn't really get it in fast rocky singletrack.

Looking for a new fork with more travel. Most of my riding is in dirt singletrack with a lot of cobbles and smaller protruding rocks sticking out of the soil.

Any suggestions?

Will a new fork screw up the bikes steering geometry?

I've been out of the scene for so long, all I remember are Manitou and Rock Shox.

I'd like to spend no more than $200, but I hesitate to even give a price because I have no idea what the range is any more.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Look used. Ebay would be the best bet as it's not worth spending much on a new fork for a 10 year old bike. Look at how much bike Doc got for under $500. Your just going to want to make sure that the fork you buy is kinda the same length from the wheel center to the top of the crown (where the fork attaches to the headset) to keep the geometry close. Manitou and Rock Shox are good brands to look at.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I definitely not advise spending 200 bones on a shock for a 10 year old bike. Check with your LBS and see if they have anything used laying around. If I were in the market, something like this Indy may be interesting. http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKSHOX-INDY-C...ryZ58086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IIRC for a timeline, the Indy was replaced by the Judy and then it by the SID.

The advancements made the past years are really impressive, and worth a look. If I were you, spend as little money on what you have to get back out on the trails, and if you like it again, thinking about stepping up to a new bike.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I was thinking about adding a new fork to my early 90's GT. Basically the response I got on the mountain bike forums was being an older bike it was not designed to use a big fork, and it would make the head tube angle to kicked back for any serious riding (slow steering). They said for my older GT that 80mm would be the max I should go. I don't know about your bike though, you may be able to get away with 100mm. Try seeing if you can find the specs on the geometry. Also you can ask around on this forum: http://forums.mtbr.com they seem to have lots of good info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I say keep the bike and get a better shock. Did it on my '90's GT Zaskar and have had no problems. Your steel bike shouldn't have a problem at all. It might change the angles a little, but I don't think you're talking about a 6" shock right. I'm running a marzocchi on my Santa cruz Bullit and it is the best I have ever ridden with.

Derek

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Get an older marzocchi Z1. Stupid simple to rebuild and last forever. Mine is a '98(i think) 4" version that I bought used 6 years ago for $100. I just rebuild it every couple years or if the seals start leak a little. I've ridden it at least twice a week for the last 6 years.

This is on my 8 year old steel Jamis (probably like yours) designed for a 80mm fork- I actually like the more layed back feel that the 100mm fork gives it

Its not going to be as plush as a new Fox Vanilla or anything liek that, but it will last and will not fall apart like Rock Shox or Manitou crap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.