Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey al,l my rear 3 link trailing arm suspension is not handling the stresses of towing on my now heavier than stock 65 Chevy. I have a 14 bolt in the back of it now and I would like to swap to a simple leaf sprung rear suspension to handle my trailer better. But I don't want something so stiff that I run the offroad ability of my truck. I also have no money as usual so I can't afford custom leaf packs. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good junkyard spring that is from a 3/4 or 1 ton rear suspension that still works decent offroad under a fullsize. And yes I realize it won't flex like the rock buggies but it doesn't need to. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
im not positive, but im pretty sure the gmc's of that era came with leafs in the rear, instead of the coils......that might be an easy swap?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chevys came optional with leafs too but since the axles are no longer stock the ride height is no longer stock its not a 2wd anymore etc, its not gonna be bolt on anyway. Plus that era of truck in 4wd is getting hard to find and the leafs are going to be sagging as old as they are. Anyway I am looking at a more modern spring since its going to be a project anyway! Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Look in 1 ton Chevy vans (conversion vans) for thick spring packs that are 52" long (same as 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton 73-87 trucks)

Or if you want a longer spring, look in 88-98 trucks for 63" jobs

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks reddwarf, I think I will try to locate some 88-98 springs. Are 4wd and 2wd the same? They should flex more and fatigue less and the 3/4 tons should easily handle the weight. Later

·
H M F
4,364 Posts

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
IMO 63" leaves are too soft (unless you do as sugested and swap in a few other leaves).

I think I would just go with some 3/4 ton chevy's...they are 56" long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts