Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for contacting me about the Second Amendment. As your voice in Washington, I appreciate being made aware of your views.

When I was sworn in after being elected to the Congress, I took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. The Second Amendment reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The intent of the legislation at the time it was adopted was crystal clear. The Founding Fathers included the Second Amendment because they believed a well-armed populace was the ultimate check on the power of the federal government. If one were to argue the Second Amendment does not prevent the federal government from abridging the individual right of citizens to own a gun, the second half of the Amendment is rendered meaningless.

Thomas Jefferson wrote in Commonplace Book, "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

I am very satisfied that the United States Supreme Court ruled in 2008 in a landmark 5-4 decision (District of Columbia v. Heller) that the Washington D.C. gun ban is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court also positively affirmed that "(t)he Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

Before the Supreme Court heard this case, I joined former Vice President Cheney, 54 other Senators, and 250 Members of the House of Representatives – including all members of the Oklahoma delegation – in submitting an amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to hold that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess firearms.

Recently, the Supreme Court heard another Second Amendment case (McDonald v. City of Chicago) regarding Chicago's handgun ban. Fortunately, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the Second Amendment applies to state and local government gun laws. I signed another amicus brief filed in McDonald, asking the Supreme Court to affirm that the right to keep and bear arms applies to state and local governments through the Fourteenth Amendment. You will be interested to know that when I signed the amicus brief in District of Colombia v. Heller, it had the support of more Members of Congress than any other amicus brief in history. I am now pleased to say the amicus brief filed in McDonald v. City of Chicago has even more signatories, with a total of 251 Members of the House of Representatives and 58 Senators signing on to the brief.

As your Senator, I will continue to strongly oppose any effort to undermine the Second Amendment and an individual citizen's right to keep and bear arms. Again, thank you for your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

James M. Inhofe
United States Senator

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Thank you for contacting me about the Second Amendment. As your voice in Washington, I appreciate being made aware of your views.

When I was sworn in after being elected to the Congress, I took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. The Second Amendment reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The intent of the legislation at the time it was adopted was crystal clear. The Founding Fathers included the Second Amendment because they believed a well-armed populace was the ultimate check on the power of the federal government. If one were to argue the Second Amendment does not prevent the federal government from abridging the individual right of citizens to own a gun, the second half of the Amendment is rendered meaningless.

Thomas Jefferson wrote in Commonplace Book, "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

I am very satisfied that the United States Supreme Court ruled in 2008 in a landmark 5-4 decision (District of Columbia v. Heller) that the Washington D.C. gun ban is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court also positively affirmed that "(t)he Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

Before the Supreme Court heard this case, I joined former Vice President Cheney, 54 other Senators, and 250 Members of the House of Representatives – including all members of the Oklahoma delegation – in submitting an amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to hold that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess firearms.

Recently, the Supreme Court heard another Second Amendment case (McDonald v. City of Chicago) regarding Chicago's handgun ban. Fortunately, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the Second Amendment applies to state and local government gun laws. I signed another amicus brief filed in McDonald, asking the Supreme Court to affirm that the right to keep and bear arms applies to state and local governments through the Fourteenth Amendment. You will be interested to know that when I signed the amicus brief in District of Colombia v. Heller, it had the support of more Members of Congress than any other amicus brief in history. I am now pleased to say the amicus brief filed in McDonald v. City of Chicago has even more signatories, with a total of 251 Members of the House of Representatives and 58 Senators signing on to the brief.

As your Senator, I will continue to strongly oppose any effort to undermine the Second Amendment and an individual citizen's right to keep and bear arms. Again, thank you for your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

James M. Inhofe
United States Senator

cool you got a response. I haven't heard a word from my Nevada officials.

·
Premium Member
30,147 Posts
Can these guys, R's and Pro gun D's hold anything over Obama and the EO process or are they just as powerless as we are?

I know we are not powerless, but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
768 Posts
cool. I got a letter from my rep. still awaiting replys from my senators though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you for contacting my office regarding the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. As a nation united, we grieve with those of the Newtown, Connecticut community, and my sincerest condolences go out to them and their families.

This unspeakable tragedy reminds us all that evil knows no boundaries, and while we may never know the answer to the question "why", what we do know is through God's grace and our strength as a nation, we cannot, and we will not bow down to evil.

In the wake of this tragedy, the Connecticut State Attorney's Office and the Connecticut State Police have initiated an investigation into the events surrounding the shooting, and rest assured, as a supporter of the Constitutional right to bear arms, I will keep your thoughts in mind as legislation is introduced in the 113th Congress.

If you would like to receive further information on issues of importance to you, please log on to my website at US Congressman Jeff Miller of Florida's 1st District. As always, please feel free to contact my office if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely,

Jeff Miller
Member of Congress
Better than the standard responce ive been getting, but i have heard back..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was this a print letter that was mailed to you? I haven't received any responses from our Reps or Senators.
It was emailed to me.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
This is the reply I got from Debbie. (in response to the Ruger letter)

"Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear – complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator"

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Here is my reply to Debbie...

"Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your response to my concerns. I am shocked at part of your response! You stated "That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage.". That is an absolutly HUGE concern. You've stated that you're first approach to stopping crazy people from going crazy and harming others is to take away our rights! How silly is that?!?! That is two completely unrelated issues, and you have rolled them into one! I am even more concerned that you feel we need to protect "responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage.", as if that were the most important part of our second amendment rights! Our second amendment is NOT for protecting our rights as hunters, that is a byproduct of having our right to maintain power over our elected government officials and the large power force that can come with over reaching governments. Without us as citizens having the right to any and all "arms" (armament) that can be imagined, especially any arms that we have empowered our military and government employees with, to support our other rights, ALL other rights as Americans can fall as dominoes. Strengthening our current gun laws will, and can only, create a more dangerous place, a place we all call home. If you are happy to be able to call your home "home", you owe that happiness solely to the freedoms protected by our civilian owned arms. Our civilian owned arms and proficiency with such, is the one and only power we have to protect the freedoms and land we call home. Your home wouldn't be the home you know it without the freedoms we are guaranteed and protected by the second amendment.

Please take an outside look on how arrogant it is to think that "strengthening our gun laws" will help our safety or freedoms in any way. Please display some honest respect for the men, women, and children who have given all for these freedoms. Please do not let some inaccurately founded short term emotions block your view of the real world. The real world is not safe, nor can it be made safe. Please do not throw our history and our basis of life to the wind to gain a touch of power and feelgood support. If you are truly saddened by the loss of children's life, please look into the real dangerous things in the world. Look into the real numbers of children passing away due to suffocation, drowning, SBS, blunt trauma, malnourishment, etc. You will find that although the happenings in Newtown are terrible, it isn't a drop in the bucket of real world child safety issues, and a true anomaly in the realm of gun safety. Please stop supporting unconstitutional infringement of our rights, and push the fight back the other way in a display of respect and understanding of why we have a constitution and how it has protected our well being better than any other country or empires power in history.

In hopes that you will respect our rights and freedoms over an ill founded emotion,
Dave Williams"

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Here is the response I got from Dan,

"January 22, 2013

Dear David:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Second Amendment. Hearing from constituents like you helps me to better represent you in Washington.

First, no words can describe the tragedy that occurred on December 14, 2014. As a father and a grandfather, I extend my deepest condolences to the family and community of the victims. Understandably, this crime has sparked a national dialogue about whether there are steps we can take to prevent a tragedy like this from happening again. I do not pretend to have all the answers, but I believe that at its core the problem is not the absence of law, rather the lack of respect for human life and human dignity.

As you know, the Second Amendment codifies the individual right to keep and bear arms. I do not see how a criminal's actions have changed the meaning of our most sacred document. Law-abiding gun owners in Northern Michigan should not have their Second Amendment rights restricted because of the actions of criminals who are determined to hurt innocent people.

I believe the problem is much deeper and more complex than any of the current proposals contemplate. In my opinion, additional gun control measures such as the President has called for will have little impact on criminals. Criminals, by definition, are simply not law-abiding. Such measures will, however, have the most significant adverse effect on law-abiding citizens.

Please know that I intend to honor the oath I took to uphold the Constitution of the United States – including the Second Amendment. We cannot allow the President to sidestep Congress. I am opposed to President Obama using Executive Orders to circumvent or change current law, and I will carefully review all legislation introduced in the 113th Congress.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share with me your opinion. Should you have any additional concerns, please feel free to contact my office at (202) 225-4735.

Sincerely,
Dan Benishek M. D.
Member of Congress"

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Got a good response from Senator Cornyn.

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
This is the reply I got from Debbie. (in response to the Ruger letter)

"Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear – complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator"
Got the same thing from her.. :mad3: I guess at least we know where she stands.

Got a much better response from my local rep. It's good to live on the west side of the state in a heavily conservative area..

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Here was my first response so far:

Dear Mr. Holtz,

Thank you for contacting my office. It's always a pleasure to hear from constituents. As you know, I'm newly elected to Congress, and my staff and I are working hard to get the office up and running. I'm honored to have the chance to serve you in Washington.

I'm a strong supporter of the Second Amendment's right to keep and bear arms. I share your concerns with some of the proposals to restrict our freedoms and will keep them in mind when I'm voting on any anti-gun legislation.

Please contact me any time with questions or concerns by calling my office at 202-225-5861 or by visiting my website at Congressman Paul Cook | Representing the 8th District of California. I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Col. Paul Cook (Ret.)
Member of Congress

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Unfortunately, the fruitloops think T.C. is the place to be, and they've been moving up here in swarms, bringing their votes with them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have not heard from my Senators yet but I got this from one of my reps

Dear Mr. Last,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent outbreak of shootings around the country.

Nothing I write in a letter feels like a satisfactory response to such an awful series of events. My heart goes out to the families of the victims of these unfathomable crimes. I simply do not have the words to encapsulate the anguish and loss they have experienced. As a wife, daughter and sister, my prayers are with the families who must now grapple with the absence of their own loved ones and family members.

Tragedies such as these raise many issues with regard to public policy and public welfare. As an elected official, I took an oath to uphold our Constitution, including the Second Amendment contained within it that guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. While I believe that law-abiding citizens should have this right protected, I also believe we should review our current legal safeguards and restrictions to ensure that they are being adequately enforced. I also believe we need to examine our laws to make sure that we are doing what we can to keep criminals and the mentally unstable from obtaining these weapons in the first place.

However, we must do more than just examine our firearms laws. Our efforts to address these tragedies must include a thorough reevaluation of our nation's system for treating mental illness. Unfortunately, too often mental illness goes undiagnosed and untreated. We must focus on increasing public awareness of the symptoms of mental illness and on improving access to mental health services, with a goal of identifying and treating mental illness earlier on in those it affects. It is my hope that from these tragedies will emerge action that promotes better mental health diagnosis and treatment in the U.S.

I ask that you please keep the families of the victims in your thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Jaime Herrera Beutler
Member of Congress

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have not heard from my Senators yet but I got this from one of my reps

Dear Mr. Last,

-snip-

Jaime Herrera Beutler
Member of Congress
I got that too.

I have heard from our senators and they are in favor of bans :mad3:

I did get these from other WA reps though :smokin:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for contacting my office regarding the important protection of our Washington State Constitution and specifically our second amendment rights. Be assured, as your State Representative, I will be watchful for and strongly oppose any pieces of legislation that may be introduced that would infringe on any part of your second amendment rights.

Those who would introduce such a bill are not interested in curbing violence, but taking advantage of the violent behavior of deranged individuals in order to disarm law abiding Americans. I will stand with my colleagues in the House to protect our Constitution.

Sincerely,
Liz

Liz Pike
Washington State Representative
18th Legislative District
(360) 786-7812
Email: [email protected]
Chris,

I am opposed to gun control as well. And I have even told that to the gun control proponents (although I am hearing more people say stop gun control than support it). The problem that leads to mass shootings is the lack of respect for human life and the lack of respect for the laws protecting human life -- not the gun, not the ammunition, not the size of the clip.

Ed Orcutt

(State Representative, 20th Legislative District, Position 2, Republican )

1 - 20 of 32 Posts