Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the answer,Fuel Injection. But next to that what about a good 2 barrel,4 barrel OOPS, forgot 360 Mopar(stock) 727 in a Scout with a Holley Truck Avenger=JUNK! With good mud and hill climbs, some off camber wheelin too. Suggestions?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Quadrajet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quadrajet? Isn't that off a Chevy? I was always told they had float problems? Any certain one to look for?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
you can use one off a chevy, but they did actually put them on dodge trucks for about 4 yrs. Work so well you can't hardly find them in a JY. Mid 80's trucks and vans had them.

You wouldbe better off with one off a dodge, but, you can always make a chevy one fit/work.

Thermoquad is also very good, but may be hard to find one that doesn't leak.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
Q- jet.

I've run shit loads of other carbs but get one and do a good rebuild on it and it will never let you down. Search the internet. There are some easy mods. Lots of sizes (cfm) too so make sure you source one to fit your motor

And now that I have FI i'll never go back.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've made Thermoquads and AFBs work reasonably well, but the answer is Q-Jet.

(Actually, FI- but you already know that)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Some of those Qjets come with a composite float (looks kind of like cork) that swell up when used with modern fuel, they then get stuck and cause your engine to flood.

You'll want a carb that's easy to find parts for, so that means Qjet or AFB. I used to run the old Thermoquad, and it worked very well for me, you just have to find an early version without the lean burn smog crap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
funny i just sold an edelbrock 1406 i swore it would work just as good as my q jet funny :rolleyes: i guess not lol sold that edelbrock for more than i piad for it and put my q jet back on :smokin: another vote for q jet

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thermoquad. :flipoff2:

The only trick is finding a clean, low mileage, non-smogger.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
tv_larsen said:
Thermoquad. :flipoff2:

The only trick is finding a clean, low mileage, non-smogger.

And one that isn't cracked. This is the reason that I switched to a Q-jet and haven't looked back.

EFI will be in the future for me, but I have other things that I need to worry about before that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got my thermoquad out of a wrecked '71 340 'cuda, when's the last time you saw one of those? Worked fine on the old Ramcharger. Should have sold the Ramcharger and fixed the 'cuda.

·
Registered
808 Posts
mondtster said:
And one that isn't cracked. This is the reason that I switched to a Q-jet and haven't looked back.

EFI will be in the future for me, but I have other things that I need to worry about before that.

I've had many TQ's but I've never had a cracked one. The worst damage I've ever found was one where the little "oil pan" bowl under one of the primary jets was broke off. They are just glued on, so I reglued it and tried it, but the rest of the carb was really wore out too. I'm much more selective these days.

I currently run a 9811 TQ, this is an aftermarket, electric choke version with very few miles. It runs so good, I've delayed the eventual TBI upgrade by at least a couple years.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
q-jet if you want secondaries, motorcraft 2100 series if 2 bbl will suit your needs. i'm currently running a motorcraft, but will probably switch to a rebuilt q-jet soon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a holley truck avenger and it is picky... so I also have a 85 jimmy parts truck... hmmmm qjet is on there ... maybe put q-jet on and sell the holley.. dunno....what to do what to do

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
I had a Holley, problematic, went to a Q-jet, had trouble with it, now have a AFB and haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

YMMV :flipoff2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts