Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it look like Goodyear just announced a new line of Made in USA trailer tires. I am looking at replacing the tires on my 16' car hauler and was originally going w/ Maxxis, but looks like these new Goodyear tires are about the same price and I'm thinking about giving them a try.

I'm hauling a Jeep from FL to Moab in April, so wanted to have a new set of tires for the trip, just a little nervous about being the guinea pig for a brand new tire design.

Anybody out there have any experience with these yet?

·
Registered
349 Posts
My last set of Goodyear trailer tires just got replaced (because one separated the tread) at 18 years old, so at least the Goodyear name is usually pretty decent in terms of trailer tires, probably not a real risky choice

Sent from my 5017B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goodyear Marathon trailer tires used to be made in USA and had good reputations, but they switched manufacturing to China several years ago and everything you read indicates that the quality went to shit. Of course, every other trailer tire was also manufactured in China, so Goodyear definitely has a market advantage as the only US-made trailer tires.

I'm just hoping that they aren't cutting too many corners with quality to be able to bring the price point close to that of the Chinese competitors. For example, Tire Rack shows the 205/75/15 D load range Endurance tires at 109.99 each, and the same size D load range Maxxis tires which are ~ $107 on Amazon. Paying $3 more a tire for US-made stuff is a no-brainer if the quality is there.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I will look into them. I have been have issues with my traier tires lately. If its a better quality tire than the $85 225 that are on my trailer i will cough up the extra cash.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Goodyear G614 have been made in the US, but they are not $100 bucks.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I wish they came in 7.00-15. I like tall skinny tires.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Not sure if they are still US made, but at $300 each, they better be able to change themselves :)
They are all I will put on My goose. I have never had an issue with one even seriously overloaded.The current set is 6 years old and still look new.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I just bought two at discount tire, 205-75-15, for 110 a piece. One went on my jeep hauler and the other is a spare. The trailer currently has one GY Endurance, one Carlisle HD, and two older Carlisle tires. About to put 800 miles on them this weekend.

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
I havent heard anything about them, but they would have to be the best trailer tire on the market right now simply because they're not made at harbor frieght.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to follow up on this, I purchased four of the 205-75-15, Load Range D for my 16' car hauler and we trailered my buddies TJ based buggy from Florida to Moab and back (4300 miles). Tires ran nice and smooth and no issues or noticeable wear and we were running around 70 mph on the way out and 75 mph most of the way back. It calls for 65 psi for max load, I upped that to about 67 cold. Definitely happy with them so far.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
The 255/85-16 looks like a promising alternative to using 17.5's on an 8k axle.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Just to follow up on this, I purchased four of the 205-75-15, Load Range D for my 16' car hauler and we trailered my buddies TJ based buggy from Florida to Moab and back (4300 miles). Tires ran nice and smooth and no issues or noticeable wear and we were running around 70 mph on the way out and 75 mph most of the way back. It calls for 65 psi for max load, I upped that to about 67 cold. Definitely happy with them so far.
Any more use of that trailer in the last 2 months for updates on the tires?

I'm heading into town tomorrow and was planning on getting that same size GY Endurance installed on my trailer. It came with Carlisle tires and they are damn near worn to the cords in about 3k miles. 7k trailer that's loaded to damn near 7k total weight (cargo and trailer ) every time it moves.:shaking: New trailer, no bent axles, aired and rotated regularly, and the POS Carlisles are worn out in that mileage.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I bought 4 of the GY Endurance tires today and I'll update after I tow. I went up a size to 225/75-15's though, I liked the load capacity being higher just to give a little more safety factor and for ten bucks more each why not?

I even made sure all the wheels lug bolts were torqued just for SoFried:flipoff2:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bringing this back as I'm ready for something in a 225-75-15. I would of liked to switch to a 245-75-16 but I just don't have the room.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Bringing this back as I'm ready for something in a 225-75-15. I would of liked to switch to a 245-75-16 but I just don't have the room.
Will a 7.00-15 fit? I just ordered two from Big O, was about $250 out the door, balanced.

I can't for the life of me remember COO but it wasn't China. It was something really weird, I'll have to look next time I'm around the trailer. edit: Thailand. Not that far from China just never seen tires made in Thailand

edit: also if not specified I believe default aspect ratio is 85%? So it'd be (7 x .85)2 + 15? Basically a 27?

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
If you're wanting 16" truck tires, a 225/75/16 is a pretty common old dually tire and most everything that size is load E... around 1" taller than the 225/75 trailer tires

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I've now got about 4 months on those tires (225-75/15 GY Endurance) but only have about 500 miles over two tows on them. They look like they're wearing better than the Carlisles that came on the trailer with no signs of wear yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts