Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here tow a gooseneck with a 1/2 ton truck before? I have a short PJ gooseneck that I bought last year that I'll be towing behind my new truck. Specs on truck & trailer as follows. 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L CCSB 4x4. PJ 20' gooseneck flatbed w/tandem 7k axles. I'll primarily be hauling 1 Jeep with some toolboxes when I tow the trailer. Otherwise I'll just be hauling random stuff like lumber, etc. I was surprised to find very little info out there of others doing something similar. Most info I found were guys hauling 5th wheel trailers or horse trailers with them, usually with Tundras, but some GM and Fords mixed in.

No pics right now since my red star just expired and the renew billing is screwing up.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Someone make a hitch? Or you redneck welding a piece of channel in?

Let's say the trailer weighs 3k, sounds like you've got 6k to play with.

·
Registered
930 Posts
A wheeling buddy towed a 23' Kaufmann goose neck car hauler with his stock 2010 F150 (5.4L, 4 door, short bed) and it did great with an average 6.5K load on the trailer. We hauled a '91 Dodge D350 cab and chassis outfitted with an enclosed utility body and the F150 did great on the hills of I-81 between MD and PA. Same truck & trailer hauled my '67 Dodge W250 crew cab back from VA, similar hills and no issues at all. He normally towed his Samuari w/a pop-up on the front of the trailer deck and really liked it. I was honestly really surprised how consistently well the F150 towed and am surprised you don't see more 1/2 tons pulling goose necks these days with the high towing capacity of today's 1/2 tons.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone make a hitch? Or you redneck welding a piece of channel in?

Let's say the trailer weighs 3k, sounds like you've got 6k to play with.
B&W Flipover Gooseneck hitch. I am also using their 4" hitch extender to keep the coupler away from my chest toolbox. Using the extender, the ball is still ahead of the centerline of the rear axle.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A wheeling buddy towed a 23' Kaufmann goose neck car hauler with his stock 2010 F150 (5.4L, 4 door, short bed) and it did great with an average 6.5K load on the trailer. We hauled a '91 Dodge D350 cab and chassis outfitted with an enclosed utility body and the F150 did great on the hills of I-81 between MD and PA. Same truck & trailer hauled my '67 Dodge W250 crew cab back from VA, similar hills and no issues at all. He normally towed his Samuari w/a pop-up on the front of the trailer deck and really liked it. I was honestly really surprised how consistently well the F150 towed and am surprised you don't see more 1/2 tons pulling goose necks these days with the high towing capacity of today's 1/2 tons.
Good to hear. Thanks for sharing. I was basically at the dilemma of pulling this trailer or buying/building a bumper pull that would be nearly identical to this gooseneck but with a bumper pull hitch. After thinking about it, with nearly identical weights on either configuration, I figured I'd rather have the weight on a gooseneck in the bed vs. 4' - 5' behind my rear axle.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Does gm have any ratings for that when pulling a gooseneck? I could see an insurance company being dumb about that, but otherwise it looks like a good idea

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
you got more brakes and motor than my f350
only issue is the twenny tooz wit dem rubba ban tars
put some actual tires on it and it'll do fine

ETA: oh and the semifloat axle, but eh w/e it's under warranty just toss a bed rug over the hitch hole before you have it towed in for a new axle

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
you got more brakes and motor than my f350
only issue is the twenny tooz wit dem rubba ban tars
put some actual tires on it and it'll do fine

ETA: oh and the semifloat axle, but eh w/e it's under warranty just toss a bed rug over the hitch hole before you have it towed in for a new axle
Seen an f150 pulling a 28ish foot 5th wheel today, looked like a heavy trailer, and it was squatting the truck, figured it was doing pretty good, but gonna wear out the wheel bearings

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hauled the trailer yesterday with the Jeep loaded and today without the Jeep. All was well and it pulled great. I averaged 9 MPG loaded, and 13 MPG unloaded. I typically average 17-19 empty so I didn't think it was too bad. Turning clearance was a non-issue. Very glad I went this route with the hitch. Pulls much better than a bumper pull with the same load.

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
i towed my skid steer with the grapple bucket and a bobcat welder on it behind my 2018 6.2 chevy. probably 15 or 16k total. the tires were the weak link, i aired them up to 51 which was max, way better. i towed it 80-85 no problem. and this was bumper pull with a weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
That GN damn near has the axles in the middle of the deck, and you've got it loaded ass heavy.

I'm all about tongue weight, but if that works for you, go for it

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That GN damn near has the axles in the middle of the deck, and you've got it loaded ass heavy.

I'm all about tongue weight, but if that works for you, go for it
It might look that way but the weight was pretty evenly distributed. The axles are located about 2/3 of the way back on the deck. The Jeep is very light in the rear also, so the weight bias is more forward. The front of the trailer is fairly heavy as well. Spare tire, gooseneck, tool boxes, jacks, etc. I moved the Jeep around a few times until I found what felt like the sweet spot for it to ride down the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts