Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Hero 2. What settings are you liking best in video mode? As far as resolutions, field of view...? What's working best? Any tips? :homer:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have no idea about settings, but I have a hard enough time remembering to turn the POS on.:shaking:

Rob

·
Registered
763 Posts
all depends on how long you want your camera to record and what you want for a end result and if you plan to use your other cameras to make one video. I have 2 or 3 cameras when I wheel the gopro, a pocket 1080p hd camera and a camera I use for photos, I run 1080 for both the gopro and hand held camera so I can have footage from both at the same aspect ratio and size.

get the biggest memory card you can afford with the highest class rating you can afford 10 being the highest and 32gb being the largest.

I'd go for the widest or 2nd widest FOV and 1080p if I was making just a day film of one trail on the dash of my buggy.

if you want your card to last longer for go 720p with the 2nd widest FOV and obviously if you wanna slowmo a video run it at 60fps

if you want the best end result, a video editing software of quality caliber and the ability to use it is needed. I use adobe premier and after effects.

I just sold my 960p hero and filmed all my vids in 720p, just bought the hero 2 as well.

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Looking forward to picking up my GoPro for the holidays! Thanks for the tips homeboy

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
The first time I used my it was set at factory settings did a few runs and downloaded the video's came out glitchy so I lowered the pixel and it works great. To much of a PITA to go through and let you know what I did but it works great. Oh and mount it somewhere accessible like the dash so you can turn it on and off while in the seat otherwise you'll A) forget to turn it on or B) load up your card before you get to the damn trail!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks!

What about the different mounts? You using the roll cage mounts, or are the adhesive mounts fine?

Also, the case. Skeleton or waterproof? Looks like the Skeleton could expose it to dirt and sand... is the audio good enough with the othe case?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I use the open back case when it's mounted inside my buggy, I find the sound just isn't as clear with the sealed unit.

I'll use the sealed one if I'm gonna get it real dirty and if I know the camera is gonna take some abuse.

though, now that I have two sealed cases I plan to drill a hole next to the microphone location on the gopro so when I go snow wheeling or wheel in the rain when my gopro isn't mounted under my roof skin of my buggy to still maintain decent audio. could also drill a larger hole and use 5 min epoxy and add the filter or screen if you are that worried about audio in the sand.

I use all the mounts, I have the adhesive mount and run electrical tape on the clip to help reducing the gopro rattle you always get when you hit a jump or jiggle the gopro. all it does is decrease some of the play in the clip.

also use my suction cup to the roof skin so you can see whats coming ahead of me while I'm driving. I don't have the roll bar mount yet, but best buy has the mount at 25% off boxing day so I might buy it.

for anyone interested in gopro camera mods or tech I'd suggest you start here: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Cool thanks!

What about the different mounts? You using the roll cage mounts, or are the adhesive mounts fine?

Also, the case. Skeleton or waterproof? Looks like the Skeleton could expose it to dirt and sand... is the audio good enough with the othe case?
I use the GroPro roll bar mount in my jeep to attach it to the dash bar. The mount works fine (for the past year) but the plastic construction seems flimsy. I do not expect it to have a long life, the plastic flexes when the mount is tightened down. I thinks its just a matter of time before it cracks.

I use Adobe Premier Elements 9 to edit videos

·
Registered
11,647 Posts

·
5,599 Posts
If you have glitchy video you need a higher speed card. I run a SanDisk extreme 16Gb, 30Mb/s card, its cheaper to buy two of these than one 32G.
I run out of battery power before I fill a card.

I added the back pack display, Its great for video when your holding the camera but kills the battery faster.

I found these lens protectors I want to give them a try, The lens on the case scratches easily, I put mine in a motocross goggle bag so it dosent get scratched like my first one.
http://www.mytuffstuff.com/index.html

I use the stick on helmet mounts but hose clamp them to my rig.

Keep the square plate they come with in the box. its great for setting your go pro on the ground under a rock right near the action.

With the HERO 1, I use R3 720 wide angles the most, it easiest for my PC to handle when editing, nice wide angle to catch all the action and looks faster then 1080. I just put it on youtube anyways.

See my youtube channel for gopro videos. From family vacations, dirtbike rides and wheelin.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
If you have glitchy video you need a higher speed card. I run a SanDisk extreme 16Gb, 30Mb/s card, its cheaper to buy two of these than one 32G.
If you want to save a few bucks you can run the Sandisk Ultra instead. Its a class 6 card but rated at the same 30MB/s as the extreme. Not sure what the difference is but so far it seems fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts