Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night at 2045 I received a call from Ms. Sherry Blunt on behalf of the NRA. They are having a special meeting and dinner on the 21st of Sept in Washington to discuss the Second Amendment and to meet some Presidential candidates (McCain, Edwards, Thompson etc). Tickets are only $150 each for this special occasion did I want one or two? anim_rofl2.gif Barring all of the spiel about Mr LaPiere has authorized this that and the other it was a 10 minute conversation. I kindly explained to her that I did NOT believe that the NRA was the leading Second Amendment supporter and while I have not yet turned in my dues card, I do not support them financially any more. I find my self increasing in opposition to the NRA and their stance on legislation, H.R. 215 and the NICS improvement act being two off of the top of my head. This led to another lengthy dissertation about how Mr. LaPiere has authorized a Benefactor Member program for $175 instead of the usual $1,000, was I interested? No ma'am, I'm not. Let me tell you why. smiley_smartass.gif I kindly explained that during the confiscations that occurred immediately after Katrina I called the NRA to let them know and find out what they were going to do about it, no answer. Several days later same deal, and eventually I got the stock response that "We are exploring every legal option". That just wasn't good enough for me. GOA and SAF led the charge by filing the case against Mayor Nagin in Federal Court, the NRA was reluctantly shamed into joining suit. Purely unacceptable. Aside from that I did not feel that they were proactive enough, when the AWB sunset in 2004 the NRA should have struck while the iron was hot, but they did nothing. I then reminded her that the NRA of England/Great Britain still existed, and while there may or may not be any official ties, I find their existence repulsive. As draconian as their firearms laws are the bureaucracy is still in place and accepting donations.

She was a trooper and not easily flustered. laugh.gif I told her to call me back tomorrow and I'd think about it in the mean time. She understood that I had some concerns and maybe we could work together, this hoity toity meeting would be a good even to "get some answers" (yeah right). I half assed thought about attending the meeting to confront a few people and ask them WTF they were thinking, but I doubt I would have any more face time than a handshake, if even that. OTOH it would give me good practice at remaining civil and tactful while expressing opposition to politicians. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll go.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Last night at 2045 I received a call from Ms. Sherry Blunt on behalf of the NRA.

Turns out, they are having a special meeting and dinner on the 21st of Sept in Washington to discuss the Second Amendment and to meet some Presidential candidates (McCain, Edwards, Thompson etc).
Tickets are only $150 each for this special occasion - did I want one or two? :laughing:

Barring all of the spiel about Mr LaPiere has authorized this that and the other it was a 10 minute conversation. I kindly explained to her that I did NOT believe that the NRA was the leading Second Amendment supporter and while I have not yet turned in my dues card, I do not support them financially any more. I find my self increasingly in opposition to the NRA and their stance on legislation, H.R. 215 and the NICS improvement act being two off of the top of my head.

This led to another lengthy dissertation about how Mr. LaPiere has authorized a Benefactor Member program for $175 instead of the usual $1,000. Was I interested? No ma'am, I'm not. Let me tell you why. ;)

I kindly explained that during the confiscations that occurred immediately after Katrina I called the NRA to let them know, and to find out what they were going to do about it. No answer. Several days later same deal, and eventually I got the stock response that "We are exploring every legal option". That just wasn't good enough for me. GOA and SAF led the charge by filing the case against Mayor Nagin in Federal Court, the NRA was reluctantly shamed into joining suit. Purely unacceptable.

Aside from that I did not feel that they were proactive enough, when the AWB sunset in 2004 the NRA should have struck while the iron was hot, but they did nothing. I then reminded her that the NRA of England/Great Britain still existed, and while there may or may not be any official ties, I find their existence repulsive. As draconian as their firearms laws are they're still in place and accepting donations.

She was a trooper and not easily flustered. :laughing: I told her to call me back tomorrow and I'd think about it in the mean time. She understood that I had some concerns and maybe we could work together, this hoity toity meeting would be good even to "get some answers" (yeah right). I half assed thought about attending the meeting to confront a few people and ask them WTF they were thinking, but I doubt I would have any more face time than a handshake, if even that. OTOH it would give me good practice at remaining civil and tactful while expressing opposition to politicians. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll go.
There. Now it's readable.

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My proofreader took an extended weekend. :D

This afternoon I spoke with a Brother of mine whom wanted to go so I was going to buy tickets tonight. As I was finishing dinner he called and said he couldn't make it so I said fawk it. I'm not buying the tickets. I would like to speak with Fred Thompson, but I would prefer that Jim be there to keep me in check. :laughing:

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Yeah, disappointment for me set in right around the time I learned the NRA lauded Bill Ruger as a steadfast supporter of the the American "outdoorsman."

For those of you with ???s surrounding Bill Ruger....he was a Zumbo before there was a Zumbo. :laughing: :laughing:

He has stated:

"No honest man needs more that 10 rounds"

"I never intended for simple civilians to have 20/30 round magazines "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I created a thread on my site a long time ago why the NRA can KMFWA. Bill Ruger was a POS business man and that's it. He was not in favor of 'simple civilians' having 20 & 30 round mags and IIRC why Ruger won't sell them to people today. He introduced the ammo capacity restriction for both personal and business reasons IMO. He may have been innovative with MIM and in business but he can also KMWA, even if he's dead.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
On a tangent, I'm waiting for Cali gun store owners to just pick up and leave that state. Maybe then, the good citizens will do something...but, really...what do you think the NRA would do?:laughing::laughing:

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a tangent, I'm waiting for Cali gun store owners to just pick up and leave that state. Maybe then, the good citizens will do something...but, really...what do you think the NRA would do?:laughing::laughing:
Solicit for more donations. :laughing::(

·
Registered
4,946 Posts

I wish all Gun manufactures would follow the lead of Ronnie Barrett and say FU to all CA Gov agencies.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I wish all Gun manufactures would follow the lead of Ronnie Barrett and say FU to all CA Gov agencies.
Thanks. I never knew about that rift between Barrett and California...especially the LAPD chief Bratton. :laughing: But it's true. Why would anyone participate in any manner of actions which are self defeating?

Good for Ronnie.:mr-t::mr-t::mr-t:

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I never knew about that rift between Barrett and California...especially the LAPD chief Bratton. :laughing: But it's true. Why would anyone participate in any manner of actions which are self defeating?

Good for Ronnie.:mr-t::mr-t::mr-t:
That was several years ago. I can't afford a Barrett right now, but most of us can afford to buy a hat or t-shirt as a sign of support. I applaud Ronnie for having the balls to stand up to 'the man' and tell him to fuck off.

http://www.barrettrifles.com/

Store
https://www.barrettrifles.com/store/web/

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Wiki is not a suitable source. Find me proof he said those things or I call bs.

Yeah, disappointment for me set in right around the time I learned the NRA lauded Bill Ruger as a steadfast supporter of the the American "outdoorsman."

For those of you with ???s surrounding Bill Ruger....he was a Zumbo before there was a Zumbo. :laughing: :laughing:

He has stated:

"No honest man needs more that 10 rounds"

"I never intended for simple civilians to have 20/30 round magazines "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
Do you disagree with the information provided by following the link? If so, let's hear it.
The guy hates Glocks like Gaston himself buttraped him, and goes out of his way to whine about them. I don't doubt Ruger said those things but I have no faith in the credibility of Gun Zone.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Wiki is not a suitable source. Find me proof he said those things or I call bs.
You can claim BS all you want...

I certainly don't agree with their stance on this issue, but this link is about as close to an "official" text as I can find. Otherwise, send me some $$$, and I would be happy to order a video cassette of the Brokaw-Ruger interview and a transcript of the recognition and official responses to the Ruger letter during the hearings surrounding the Clinton AWB deliberations.

Look on Page 5 pdf

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The guy hates Glocks like Gaston himself buttraped him, and goes out of his way to whine about them. I don't doubt Ruger said those things but I have no faith in the credibility of Gun Zone.
I don't know much about Gun Zone, so I'll not bother defending them. I can tell by the page I linked that they've probably got some questionable material. Ruger did, however, say those things. I saw the video of the interview with Brokaw six or seven years ago at a buddy's house in Memphis. I'm also fairly certain that there's quite a bit of damning testimony that's a matter of congressional record.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I called the NRA about the Ruger thing after his interviews and testimony on us 'simple civilians' having full capacity magazines and got a run around - I was disappointed that they wouldn't take a stand against that traitorous toad.

However, I am still a life member. You can bitch about the NRA all you want to but it does a lot more good than harm. Is it perfect? Of course not - what other large organization is?

Allan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts