Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video showing axle wrap before and after an anti wrap bar. Axle wrap can cause all kinds of problems. This can be a cheap mod that saves many headaches down the road.

http://youtu.be/0qfrxsm3iJg

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
nice that you learned what a anti-wrap/traction bar, is but if that vid is yours it looks like your design should be in the ghetto fab hack jobs thread lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice that you learned what a anti-wrap/traction bar, is but if that vid is yours it looks like your design should be in the ghetto fab hack jobs thread lol
Not my setup. Just trying to share some info. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup but its like other things has all ready been covered numerous times...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464319
Not a single video of axle wrap in that whole thread, although it was very informative when I built my anti wrap bar.

Originally Posted by OOP'S
What kind of springs?

I have never had a problem with axle wrap with all the different springs I have ran over the years, all of then had an anti-wrap half leaf that came with the springs.
Not 100% sure, but I think they are stock YJ springs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
While we're on this topic... i've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with axle wrap up front.

3.4 swapped 85, duals (2.28/4.7) raised drivetrain

rear:
TG 4" (anti-wrap half leaf)
ruff stuff 8" perches
8.4/5.29
rotated housing / great pinion angle
= no axle wrap

Front:
TG 4"
stock 85 housing perches
8" TRD elocker/5.29
shitty pinion angle
= massive axle wrap I'm going to break something if I don't fix it soon

I don't think TG front springs have the "anti wrap" spring.

I'm wondering if:
- the pinion angle had much to do with it or not (extra leverage with D/S at an angle?)
- how much the longer spring perches are helping
- if adding a tg half spring to the front spring pack would actually help

maybe a combination of the 3?

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
What kind of springs?

I have never had a problem with axle wrap with all the different springs I have ran over the years, all of then had an anti-wrap half leaf that came with the springs.
Same as OOPS, I have had no issues with axle wrap either.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Same as OOPS, I have had no issues with axle wrap either.
Just a question here, are you guys "pure crawlers" or do you have to "get after it/Get on it/ Get it" pretty regularly?

Pretty much EVERY truck I've ever seen that had leaves in the rear has axle wrap, normally pretty bad with no traction bar.

My buddy's truck w/ TG 4" springs had terrible axle wrap when the springs were about 2 years old.

I built a slip-n-twist traction bar and no problems since.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Just a question here, are you guys "pure crawlers" or do you have to "get after it/Get on it/ Get it" pretty regularly?

Pretty much EVERY truck I've ever seen that had leaves in the rear has axle wrap, normally pretty bad with no traction bar.

My buddy's truck w/ TG 4" springs had terrible axle wrap when the springs were about 2 years old.

I built a slip-n-twist traction bar and no problems since.
Both!!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
While we're on this topic... i've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with axle wrap up front.

3.4 swapped 85, duals (2.28/4.7) raised drivetrain

rear:
TG 4" (anti-wrap half leaf)
ruff stuff 8" perches
8.4/5.29
rotated housing / great pinion angle
= no axle wrap

Front:
TG 4"
stock 85 housing perches
8" TRD elocker/5.29
shitty pinion angle

I don't think TG front springs have the "anti wrap" spring.

I'm wondering if:
- the pinion angle had much to do with it or not (extra leverage with D/S at an angle?)

I found that clamping the back part of the spring pack together helps out greatly. If you haven't done that already.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Maybe the diffeerence is axle wrap and pinion movement. I am with Ooops on this one. I think I wheel pretty hard and I have never had a set of springs have axle wrap like in that video, If I had I would have considered them broke! that is crazy axle wrap. I would guess to soft and too light of a spring pack.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
I was right behind you when that picture was taken, and remember the rocks shooting out the back. :D Good Tacos that day. :grinpimp:

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Maybe the diffeerence is axle wrap and pinion movement. I am with Ooops on this one. I think I wheel pretty hard and I have never had a set of prings have axle wrap like in that video, If I had I would have considered them broke! that is crazy axle wrap. I would guess to soft and too light of a spring pack.
When I eliminated my buggy leafs I also welded new leaf perches on the axle and got a real good pinon angle. That, and the antii-wrap bar nearly eliminated rear axle hop for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

TG 4"
stock 85 housing perches
8" TRD elocker/5.29
shitty pinion angle

I'm wondering if:

I would extend the perches, and correct the pinion angle at the same time.
I have found that having good spring clamps out on the leaves helps a lot.
Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts

It must just be a southern thing, because every rig I've ever seen with leafs has axlewrap as well. :D

I ran 3" all pros on the rear of my '83 and thought they wouldn't need a traction bar but they would axlewrap pretty bad with just 37's. The back of the second leaf would seperate about 8" away from the main leaf while under power and then slap back together as soon as you clutched it.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
Here is my question, hopefully relevent enough to this thread.

I have 63" chebbies, rough stuff extended perches, std style shackles, and rotated pinion angle, with a spool. I don't really notice any issues going on in the rocks, or in the soft stuff, but on the street, especially during hard accelleration, I get some wrap. To the point that i can hear the overload springs contact the main leafs a couple of times.

I have considered adding a bar to control that, but is it possible that some of that is attributable to the added stress of running a spool on the street? Would a trac bar put more stress on my pinion/rear tcase output? or would it be actually less stress because the driveline angle would be held in greater alignment?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts